Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally bad
06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally bad
This is a snippet from my book which you can download from my site link in signiture:

part 1

If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally bad things in the world?

This is probably a question asked widely on a daily scale and is probably the #1 reason for people losing faith, religion and other things. I can totally see were people are coming from as I've been in the situation many times in the past, whether something bad has happened to me, or someone I care about or love and this is one of the most challenging things to try to answer is it's such a tender subject – ultimately in my opinion you should not let go, not give up, not lose faith and so-on, why? Because having faith is not giving in.

So let's try to come up with a logical answer and for simplicity sake lets just stick with humans opposed to every living thing on earth. So let's have a simple scenario (because as aforementioned they often help in an explanation) there is a person, tries to help others, is very selfless and generally is a nice individual and hasn't done much wrong in life. This individual walks down the road and someone beats them up badly and steals there possessions – it's wrong, it's horrible and cannot be condoned – but why did it happen to a person that didn't deserve this?

Let me first answer with a question, do you remember what I said about angels or “angelic souls” previously? People that are too good sometimes purposely blind themselves from the bad are not doing themselves any favours and also as aforementioned you do not have a magic spiritual force to the point were nobody or nothing can hurt you but you do have a finite amount of help. The bad individual or lets presume they totally crossed over and are a demonic soul is simply taking advantage of the nice individual because they don't really care, there morals are gone and other things which the nice individual wasn't prepared for and fell victim to this.

Things obviously go a lot deeper than that but I think that is a very reasonable answer to a simple scenario. The simple solution for the nice individual in this scenario would simply be to know your enemy be prepared for the worst but don't fall victim to it.

I feel I've missed quite a bit out in that explanation but for you who have read this book all the way through so far I think you'll see the point I was getting at.
part 2

OK so what about people that are sick?

This is another question we ask ourselves, and this is a hard one to try 'n' answer but let me first explain something (it may sound off topic but bare with me ) I have done a lot of computer programming in my life, which means I am the creator of my developed software, now often software acts the way it shouldn't or wasn't designed to, has bugs or errors or whatever. These can often be fixed, however my point is computer science is an incredibly complex subject and to create good reliable software used by millions takes a lot of practice – but creating a program compared to creating the earth, it's entities, the universe and so-on is nothing; it makes science, brain surgery, physics and all the other complex subjects combined seem as trivial as blinking or something else as easy to do – get my point?

The point is that maybe something(s) went wrong, I personally don't go by the Adam and Eve story but it's possible something happened that wasn't meant to – if we imagine earth was the plain round planet it once was, and things happened from there and evil kind of invaded earth and mixed things up a little so that is “possibly” something God (or even the possibility of God(s)) made some mistake(s) or didn't but things happened that weren't meant to, for instance was the dinosaurs wiped out purposefully or was it an catastrophic error? Similarly but if someone gets sick, is it something gone wrong, something unexpected or (doubtfully on most occasions) purposeful? If it was purposeful then isn't is reasonable to say that it's possibly an evil influence that caused this? Much like a virus can cause mayhem on the internet people with malicious intent can the same principles still not apply to people and other living things?

I say everything with respect there and am not trying to upset anyone nor am I trying to dis-respect God (again of possibly God(s)) here, I am just going over the possibilities.

People are so quick to blame God for something bad that has happened to themselves or others but maybe it's not his, hers, it's, there fault – did you ever think about that?

Another example could be, I for instance have done some bad things in my life that I am ashamed of however I have paid the price. Around the times of doing some bad things, I have been sick, and had many other bad things happen to me which could be purposeful like paying for my sins? And when I say sins I don't what you would read in the bible or something I mean something you know morally is wrong but you did it anyway – so maybe it was payback for the bad I have done, it's very possible. But then you ask yourself what about people who don't deserve it? Well I can't answer that except what I've already said but what I will say this, don't be so quick to blame God and possibly lose your faith.
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2010, 03:07 AM
RE: If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally bad
bump bump bump bump bump
06-30-2010, 02:33 PM
RE: If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally bad
Or, maybe God isn't good.

Or evil.

Or concerned with the relativistic morality of human beings.

Maybe the natural world you see around you is a reflection of God's nature, i.e. amoral.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.
Find all posts by this user
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the best thing you could gain from a God, if say life is magical like God, is wisdom of the correct use of your will power.

If life contains magic, than the only thing bad could be to have lost your knowing of what Good really is. If you think it is better to look like a sick person in front of people to gain sympathy than you have a major problem of sickness. If your goal in life is to get people to do things, than you have a lower will power than God. God would be pure allowance, free choice, the ability to do whatever feels right to you. If you have lost your self to thinking that something bad is what feels right, than you will be lost to the true power of God. Than and only than would God be something that would change your life, otherwise if you are purely positive about life than you are going to do the best and basically be at the same level as God could be.

The only reason I could see for a God is to end all of that, which to tell you the truth, even old age in the face of God is something bad.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
(06-30-2010 03:43 PM)azurescen Wrote:  If you have lost your self to thinking that something bad is what feels right, than you will be lost to the true power of God.
Than and only than would God be something that would change your life, otherwise if you are purely positive about life than you are going to do the best and basically be at the same level as God could be.
Why do you equate God with only the positive?

(06-30-2010 03:43 PM)azurescen Wrote:  The only reason I could see for a God is to end all of that, which to tell you the truth, even old age in the face of God is something bad.
How so?

06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Speaking from a Vodouisant point of view -- Because Bondye is pandeistic. He sets things in motion and steps back. He is neither good nor bad nor loving nor cruel.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally bad ?The problem is that many people are exploring.I think about the God do not need too seriously.

herve leger on sale
07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
(06-30-2010 05:40 PM)Clementine Wrote:  Speaking from a Vodouisant point of view -- Because Bondye is pandeistic. He sets things in motion and steps back. He is neither good nor bad nor loving nor cruel.
And the Loa, are they all considered good or benevolent?

07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
The theme of this thread is the standard question of suffering. Sir Charles Darwin solved that mystery by proposing survival of the fittest. The linked article will show you how the secular teaching and religious can be reconciled:

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/rev...ion_6.html

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
07-01-2010, 10:42 PM
RE: If there is a God, why is there so much pain, misery, disease, evil and generally
(06-30-2010 03:51 PM)KC Carter Wrote:  
(06-30-2010 03:43 PM)azurescen Wrote:  If you have lost your self to thinking that something bad is what feels right, than you will be lost to the true power of God.
Than and only than would God be something that would change your life, otherwise if you are purely positive about life than you are going to do the best and basically be at the same level as God could be.
Why do you equate God with only the positive?
Well, I see positive as death, as destruction as bad, as everything. Than I see an opposite that is simply a perpetual mystery of Good, or positive. Like if there is a negative, a zero, and a positive, than positive is simply all that I and God can know. Beyond that there is a Devil who can know of Negative, and a zero being Vishnu who can know of zero.
(06-30-2010 03:51 PM)KC Carter Wrote:  
(06-30-2010 03:43 PM)azurescen Wrote:  The only reason I could see for a God is to end all of that, which to tell you the truth, even old age in the face of God is something bad.
How so?
This is only something I think in a sense of life being living forever, for the moment old age is bad, only to the point that we learn to bring the dead back to life and live forever, than we can experience old age and death in other lives and keep this life for perpetual learning. This is just my idea, and yet if it were accepted and had magic applied, it would be real and death would be a game, I guess, or a fantasy, or story, something like that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3 Ways to End Pain and Suffering RamaRaksha 6 49 10-22-2017 06:56 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  Is Hinduism the only Faith to Offer Pain & Suffering? AKA Life? RamaRaksha 43 695 10-14-2017 05:10 PM
Last Post: Satyros
  The Eighteen Source Causes of Life's Pain ivysunday 4 199 07-07-2017 09:45 AM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  The Standards of Good (Kind) People and Bad (Evil) People ivysunday 7 271 07-06-2017 02:24 AM
Last Post: ivysunday
  DIVINE JUSTICE AND COMPASSION:An account of human suffering and pain Qidreel 7 371 04-06-2017 09:45 AM
Last Post: Caesar Saladin
  Is God an Evil Tyrant? HongXiuquan 52 5,719 07-12-2015 02:20 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  Why pain and suffering? surrendersacrifice 55 3,629 01-02-2015 05:48 PM
Last Post: Huitaca
  Why did God create Evil? thepractice 134 6,242 01-22-2014 01:02 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  Is becoming like God good or evil? Greatest I am 44 3,886 01-14-2014 02:36 AM
Last Post: IMtM
  The Devil's a Scapegoat, Jesus is a sacrificial Lamb? Oh the pain...... Azrael17 12 1,388 04-09-2013 04:32 PM
Last Post: Visqueen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)