Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Incest in the Bible
04-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Incest in the Bible
Though the greatest book of truth and history we know, it even has stories of incest, stories that aren't exactly condemned or looked down upon either. How do you explain these? Keep in mind, I'm not condemning the book, I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Abraham and Sarah:

Genesis 20:12-13 - Howbeit, otherwise also she is truly my sister, the daughter of my father, and not the daughter of my mother, and I took her to wife. And after God brought me out of my father’s house, I said to her: Thou shalt do me this kindness: In every place, to which we shall come, thou shalt say that I am thy brother.

Lot and his two daughters:

Genesis 19:32-36 - Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
RE: Incest in the Bible
(04-15-2010 06:25 PM)Paradise Wrote:  Though the greatest book of truth and history we know, it even has stories of incest, stories that aren't exactly condemned or looked down upon either. How do you explain these? Keep in mind, I'm not condemning the book, I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Abraham and Sarah:

Genesis 20:12-13 - Howbeit, otherwise also she is truly my sister, the daughter of my father, and not the daughter of my mother, and I took her to wife. And after God brought me out of my father’s house, I said to her: Thou shalt do me this kindness: In every place, to which we shall come, thou shalt say that I am thy brother.

Lot and his two daughters:

Genesis 19:32-36 - Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
geneses 20:12-13 - step daughter or half sister . there not blood related . they think the same , they are close .
genesis 19:32-36 - does not mention if they are blood related , again.....step daughters?. as far as i see this book was only written on what god had wittnessed .
04-17-2010, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2010 11:21 AM by Paradise.)
(04-16-2010 05:21 PM)hillbilly Wrote:  geneses 20:12-13 - step daughter or half sister . there not blood related . they think the same , they are close .

genesis 19:32-36 - does not mention if they are blood related , again.....step daughters?. as far as i see this book was only written on what god had wittnessed .

It's quite clear that Sarah is the daughter of the father, making her Abraham's half sister, and also quite blood related.

And yes, these are the two blood daughters of Lot.

These are also known stories of incest in the Bible.
04-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Bible matter like this makes people look the other way, I guess.
04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
THE ATHEIST'S COMPLAINT:
Is incest forbidden? Some Bible passages condemn incestuous marriages (Leviticus 18:9, 12; 20:17, 19; Deuteronomy 27:22), but others do not (Genesis 20:12; 17:16; Exodus 6:20). Is there a contradiction?

RESPONSE:
Clearly, under the law of Moses, incestuous relationships were forbidden. The list of passages given above establish that clearly. What we must concern ourselves with is the situations where marital relations between closely related persons are reported in the Bible.

The word "incest" does not actually appear in the Bible. Rather, the law of Moses specifically describes the relationships which were forbidden. Our English word incest comes from the Latin incestus, designating sexual impurity. Incest is defined as "sexual intercourse between persons so closely related that they are forbidden by law to marry" (Merriam Webster's Deluxe Dictionary). What incest is will change from region to region, according to the local laws. For instance, if Bob's son passed away, and Bob desired to marry Joyce, his son's widow he could do so in Georgia or Oklahoma. However, if they lived in Texas or Tennessee, they could not. What is and what is not incest is dependent upon the laws of the land in which you dwell.

In Israel, the laws regarding what was and was not incest are outlined in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Abraham and Sarah were not subject to these laws, since they pre-existed the law by over 400 years. Likewise, Amram and Jochebed were unaffected by the law of Moses, since their marriage also was prior to this law being given to Israel.

There is no contradiction.

Source: http://www.lookinguntojesus.net/ata20031214.htm

As stated, the law changed over the years. The bible after all is in a way a historical timelime of events.
04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
(04-17-2010 11:19 AM)Paradise Wrote:  
(04-16-2010 05:21 PM)hillbilly Wrote:  geneses 20:12-13 - step daughter or half sister . there not blood related . they think the same , they are close .

It's quite clear that Sarah is the daughter of the father, making her Abraham's half sister, and also quite blood related.

And yes, these are the two blood daughters of Lot.

These are also known stories of incest in the Bible.
.......or they were all adopted .
04-19-2010, 10:11 AM
(04-19-2010 08:13 AM)hillbilly Wrote:  
(04-17-2010 11:19 AM)Paradise Wrote:  These are also known stories of incest in the Bible.

Let's try and look at the situation intelligently please. It's a known fact that they are blood related.
04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
(04-19-2010 10:11 AM)Paradise Wrote:  
(04-17-2010 11:19 AM)Paradise Wrote:  These are also known stories of incest in the Bible.

Let's try and look at the situation intelligently please. It's a known fact that they are blood related.
........was this written they were blood related .
04-19-2010, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2010 01:41 PM by Paradise.)
(04-19-2010 10:57 AM)hillbilly Wrote:  
(04-19-2010 10:11 AM)Paradise Wrote:  

........was this written they were blood related .

I'm not here to play games with someone who hasn't a clue as to Bible books and verses. If you were familiar with these well-known Bible verses you'd understand that, yes, it is written that they are blood related. And hillbilly, try and comprehend that " she is truly my sister, the daughter of my father ," is also what 'blood related' means, as well as "Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father."
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I can explain this perfectly. There are a few implications here:

a. God wrote -- or influenced -- The Bible, therefore incest is perfectly acceptable and we have no right to argue that fact. We should change the law immediately
b. Ignorant immoral peasants wrote The Bible, completely oblivious to the ramifications, genetically or morally, of the act.

Since God clearly, or at least extremely likely, does not exist, I think it is safe to say that those whom wrote the Bible were ignoramuses more nescient than a somewhat educated 10 year old child in today's society. It never ceases to amaze me the consummate ease with which faith heads alter scripture to keep up with the zeitgeist. The truly devout have no right to alter the written word of God yet they do perpetually in order to avoid alienation at best or arrest at worst. For example the Bible promotes slavery yet somehow we know that is wrong despite what our loving God has communicated to us. Honestly mate, I would avoid looking into scripture too too much these days; anything in there that does invoke feelings of contradiction is usually down to the fact that it is a book full of garbage written by stupid, chauvinistic, brainless, men. Look at it this way. Is the Bible really a book you would expect to have been written by an omniscient creator of the Universe?

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Incest is forbidden yet its all around us! FrostBite 26 3,689 02-09-2013 09:09 PM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)