Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Incest in the bible
01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
MyBB Incest in the bible
I have only just started reading the bible and am about 20 pages in, so keep that in mind when i ask this question.

I just read in Genesis 19 : Lot and his Daughters, that his daughter get him drunk and have sex with him to get pregnant and so far there has been no comment by god against that act.

So is incest ok???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2010, 03:09 PM
RE: Incest in the bible
Are you sure God said this in Bible? or its writen by some men?
01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
well I am reading from the NLT(New Life Translation) version of the Holy Bible, which has been worked on by 90 leading bible scholars and stylists for 8 years creating version 2 (in 2004). The first version was created in 1996.

I don't know if God is narrating, but it did say that.
01-18-2010, 03:16 PM
The Holy Quran says:

"Forbidden to you are your mothers, and your daughters, and your sisters, and your fathers’ sisters, and your mothers’ sisters, and brother’s daughters, and sister’s daughters, and your foster-mothers that have given you suck, and your foster-sisters, and the mothers of your wives, and your stepdaughters, who are your wards by your wives unto whom you have gone in — but if you have not gone in unto them, there shall be no sin upon you — and the wives of your sons that are from your loins; and it is forbidden to you to have two sisters together in marriage, except what has already passed; surely, Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful." (Al Quran 4:24)

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 03:29 PM by Phill.)
Yes it does say that. Lot Came from one of the cities of Sodom or Gamora. God destroyed these places because they were wicked to the core. And stuff like this was done and more. Lots daughters were wicked as well. Lot was the only righteous one left. Just shows you what can happen when people forget God. The sons of these daughters went on to become the nations of the Moabites and Ammonites.
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
In Leviticus 18 (the same chapter that condemns homosexuality) incest is condemned for men by Mosaic Law. Many Biblical figures committed incest anyway, but Mosaic Law forbids it to men (it doesn't forbid it to women to my knowledge, but then according to the Bible women aren't really people.)

Now, the interesting ramification here is that most Christians ignore Mosaic Law all the time. This is the same law that has all those kosher rules that keep them from eating sweet, sweet shellfish, and all those rules about stoning your children or anyone who works on the Sabbath. So really, unless this sentiment is repeated somewhere more authoritative, I think it's safe to say that the Bible doesn't really mean it when it condemns incest.

Homosexuality is condemned again in 1 Chronicles (I believe), so that's right out. Unless you don't particularly buy the teachings of Paul, at least.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 04:03 PM by Stereophonic.)
(01-18-2010 03:06 PM)aManWhoWonders Wrote:  ...So is incest ok???

You will find, if you keep reading, that such incest is certainly forbidden. The narrator is writing for the people of his own time and culture; and because these people would have been aghast at the occurrence, the narrator did not feel constrained to state the obvious.

The problem for us, of course, is that we live in a different time and culture; many of the old sexual taboos have recently become commonplace and even celebrated. So we have a bit of homework that we need to do as we read the Bible. If you had been reading the Bible that I recommended to you, most likely there would have been a note in the margin explaining some of these things to you.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Sometimes the Christian apologists accuse that the Holy Quran has been copied from the Bible. We will have a detailed discussion on this issue in this forrm, God willing. Here I want to highlight, that the writer of the Quran has had the good sense not to copy any of the short comings of the Bible. There is no mention of incest in the Holy Quran. Another interesting consideration in this regards is that if it is established that there are contradictions in the Bible, then the writer of the Holy Quran would have had another challenge at hand. What to copy and and what not to!

The Holy Quran claims:

"Will they not, then, meditate upon the Qur’an? Had it been from anyone other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much disagreement." (Al Quran 4:83)

I am second coming of Thomas Paine. If you are a Christian, have you read Age of Reason?
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2010 12:37 AM by catholicstation.)
(01-18-2010 03:06 PM)aManWhoWonders Wrote:  I have only just started reading the bible and am about 20 pages in, so keep that in mind when i ask this question.

I just read in Genesis 19 : Lot and his Daughters, that his daughter get him drunk and have sex with him to get pregnant and so far there has been no comment by god against that act.

So is incest ok???
Leviticus 18:17
21 Thou shalt not give any of thy seed to be consecrated to the idol Moloch, nor defile the name of thy God: I am the Lord. 22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, because it is an abomination. 23 Thou shalt not copulate with any beast, neither shalt thou be defiled with it. A woman shall not lie down to a beast, nor copulate with it: because it is a heinous crime. 24 Defile not yourselves with any of these things with which all the nations have been defiled, which I will cast out before you, 25 And with which the land is defiled: the abominations of which I will visit, that it may vomit out its inhabitants.
==============================================
aManWhoWonders - Do You really want to get into a debate about sexual deviants?

Washington: December 15, 2009, (PCTV Newsdesk)

Coptic Christian women in Egypt are being forced to marry and convert to Islam and that oppression is part of a larger pattern of persecution against Christians facilitated by the Egyptian government

SEXUAL ABUSE IN SOCIAL CONTEXT:
conclusion. Indeed, it shows that family members are the most likely to sexually molest a child. It also shows that the incidence of the sexual abuse of a minor is slightly higher among the Protestant clergy than among the Catholic clergy, and that it is significantly higher among public school teachers than among ministers and priests.
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
They seduced Lot because they thought they were the last people on Earth. It's a sin, they seduced their own father, seduction is a sin. Are you really reading the Bible in a linear order? You know it's not necessarily chronologically in placed like a novel is.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)