Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Informed atheists who find christ?
05-08-2017, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 11:28 PM by PeterPants.)
Informed atheists who find christ?
Does anyone know of a single remotely informed atheist who later became a christian?

I know of many christans who claim to have been atheists and claim that they have special knowledge that athiests are wrong, but they tend to espouse the most basic and frivolous apologetics, and clearly were never remotely knowledgable of counter arguments.

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2017, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 02:54 AM by clarence clutterbuck.)
RE: Informed atheists who find christ?
I have no personal experience of witnessing an atheist to Christian conversion, but I did watch a yukky video by Lee Strobel once where he related his conversion from atheism to Christianity. He presented himself as a hard nosed atheist and investigative journalist convinced by the evidence for Christ and portrayed his atheist self as a selfish immoral person who was nasty to his wife and kids. This struck me as resembling a Christian fundamentalist God's Not Dead style caricature cliche of what they think atheists must be like. I formed the opinion that Lee Strobel's pre-conversion self was probably that of a Christian theist in denial and a pseudo-atheist. He can't have been a very hard nosed journo either or he'd be concerned about the poor evidence for miracles, the resurrection, angels, immortal souls and all the rest of it.

This is a bite size video that miraculously contains all the elements of the longer one I watched. Strobel describes his atheist self making up his own morality and resultantly falling into some narcissistic and destructive behaviours, before condescendingly going on to assure the viewer that atheists can be good people.

I've just noticed there's some low level cheerful sounding guitar muzak in the background. What's that all about?

05-09-2017, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 04:59 AM by IMtM.)
It would be like believing in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny again after realizing that they were merely religio-commercial inventions for kids. Like Clarence said, any atheist to Xtian conversions would almost certainly be perpetrated by "pseudo-atheists." Atheism, in my opinion, is the creation of a tabula rasa of the mind, a good starting point.

05-09-2017, 05:50 AM
Quote:I've just noticed there's some low level cheerful sounding guitar muzak in the background. What's that all about?

Its scary how many churches play that concerning, calming music.

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
05-09-2017, 06:09 AM
(05-09-2017 04:58 AM)IMtM Wrote:  any atheist to Xtian conversions would almost certainly be perpetrated by "pseudo-atheists

One has to be careful here, this approaches "no true atheist would be converted" territory.

Nothing comes from nothing, cowboy. - Tex Nihilo
05-09-2017, 06:22 AM
(05-09-2017 06:09 AM)FilmFlaneur Wrote:  One has to be careful here, this approaches "no true atheist would be converted" territory.
Indeed. Though in my defense I did include the caveat of "almost" to my demarcation of certainty. It's a bit wormy, I know, but it's there! Tongue My thinking is that if a so-called atheist converts then they were never really firm in their lack of belief in God and so would be atheistic in name only and more agnostic in practice. That's just my off-the-cuff thought on it. It would be like me suddenly convincing myself that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are real when I know right now that they are a complete fabrication or fancy of flight of thought.

05-09-2017, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 06:37 AM by FilmFlaneur.)
Well I can't speak for all atheists but as a 'soft' atheist I simply lack belief in God, without necessarily making any further assertions about the purported deliberate supernatural, which leaves me open to persuasion by things unambiguous and unassailable. For instance, I can quickly think of 'red line' events which, for me would compel immediate conversion to a belief in the deity concerned: legs and arms growing back at Lourdes immediately after prayer for instance, or a 'maker's mark' found in nature & etc.

05-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Im in film flaneurs boat, lacking belief, but we are ALL agnostic with regards to God, some people simply dont understand what would constitute knowledge of god.

I dont think there can be graduations of lacking belief, either you have it or you dont, their are varying degrees of belief, bit not lack of belief.

~~~

05-09-2017, 07:18 AM
(05-09-2017 06:36 AM)FilmFlaneur Wrote:  Well I can't speak for all atheists but as a 'soft' atheist I simply lack belief in God, without necessarily making any further assertions about the purported deliberate supernatural, which leaves me open to persuasion by things unambiguous and unassailable. For instance, I can quickly think of 'red line' events which, for me would compel immediate conversion to a belief in the deity concerned: legs and arms growing back at Lourdes immediately after prayer for instance, or a 'maker's mark' found in nature & etc.

(05-09-2017 07:13 AM)PeterPants Wrote:  Im in film flaneurs boat, lacking belief, but we are ALL agnostic with regards to God, some people simply dont understand what would constitute knowledge of god.

I dont think there can be graduations of lacking belief, either you have it or you dont, their are varying degrees of belief, bit not lack of belief.

Same here - I can think of plenty of events that would make me religious instantaneously.

Until such an event occurs I however lack any kind of belief in any proposed phenomenon for which there is zero evidence.

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
05-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Yes I entirely agree. It hardly bears repeating but anyassertions about a deliberate supernatural must be expressions of either a negative or positive belief, one way or another.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Find Peace luvurcreator 54 859 Today 07:21 AM
Last Post: Anglican
  How to find peace? surrendersacrifice 5 534 07-22-2013 04:45 PM
Last Post: nihilist666
  Find the Best Religion for You DanaDana 6 818 06-21-2011 02:34 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Help me find a gift friedsushi87 9 1,322 12-21-2010 12:17 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
Exclamation Darkness and how to find it. sereda008 6 1,017 01-22-2010 12:57 PM
Last Post: sereda008

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)