Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interesting Article
08-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Interesting Article
Was checking out the web and came across this article. Thought it would be interesting. Many people outside the US, might find this to be a normal practice already, but being From the Southern United States, this story slightly shocked me. Check out the article here.

For those who do not want to click on the link. US military, New Jersey public school, and a few other places are starting to give holidays for other religions. I think that is awesome, as it shows a bit about what America is suppose to be about. Thoughts?

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2011, 08:25 AM
RE: Interesting Article
I think it should be done. I mean, everyone else gets days off for the Christian holidays ... I could use a few extra ones, too!! Big Grin

I don't think a person should have to burn their vacation days so that they can practice their faith. I think it should be the same across the board.
08-22-2011, 09:24 AM
I do not get Christian Holidays off, but it would be nice to have a few more holiday pay days...that would be awesome. Isn't Ramadan a whole month long. Then you have that Jewish holiday around Christmas that I do not know how to spell, and to get holiday pay on Halloween, the best holiday in existence..would be amazing. If they did it that way, I think everyone would be more excepting of other religions, or, no one would complain because they would all be getting fair treatment.

08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah it's hard to spell Chanukah... or is it Hanukkah? I think it depends on how it's romanized.
Kudos to the Americans for being so tolerant, I didn't know they had it in them.
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
(08-22-2011 09:24 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  Isn't Ramadan a whole month long.

Yes - a month of continuing to work and go about your normal business, but without eating or drinking during the hours of daylight. Probably not the "holiday" you're hoping.
08-22-2011, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2011 12:09 PM by tantilla oolitica.)
the Ramadan is this month, if you want you can still celebrate it for it's last 7 days, but make sure that you're up on time for the morning prayer, I think that it starts at 4:30 Tongue
08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
(08-22-2011 11:52 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  
(08-22-2011 09:24 AM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  Isn't Ramadan a whole month long.

Yes - a month of continuing to work and go about your normal business, but without eating or drinking during the hours of daylight. Probably not the "holiday" you're hoping.

I was just thiking about a month worth of holiday pay. For me that would be a month of double time.

08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
As a militant secularist, I believe all religious holidays should be abolished and replaced by a secular public holiday and spread out evenly through the year.

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. - Nietzsche
08-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Surprisingly, I disagree. I understand and respect your reasons, but whether or not you intend it that kind of legislation would be a step towards universalising culture and removing diversity of celebration, and to me that can only be a bad thing. I'd rather have 600 different expressive religious festivals on different days and all the practical problems that brings than a one-size-fits-all Life Day that's forced by nature to be so broad that it becomes utterly characterless.
08-22-2011, 06:17 PM
(08-22-2011 06:09 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Surprisingly, I disagree. I understand and respect your reasons, but whether or not you intend it that kind of legislation would be a step towards universalising culture and removing diversity of celebration, and to me that can only be a bad thing. I'd rather have 600 different expressive religious festivals on different days and all the practical problems that brings than a one-size-fits-all Life Day that's forced by nature to be so broad that it becomes utterly characterless.

I don't actually believe that at all, I was just fishing...

I don't actually consider myself to be a militant anything (maybe punker comes pretty close). Perhaps some people will disagree with me on that one.

I wonder though why we don't have a public holiday on World Humanist Day even though on the census at least it appears that Humanism is a religion...

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. - Nietzsche

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) %mindless_detector% 66 3,337 02-15-2017 05:56 PM
Last Post: Herminator
  Interesting thought! CynLou 0 347 11-12-2013 09:14 AM
Last Post: CynLou
  interesting thoughts.... Adi Baba 28 1,982 04-20-2013 02:39 AM
Last Post: Azrael17
  article Sexy_Guy 1 475 04-14-2013 08:49 AM
Last Post: Achrelos
  Very interesting. MRlogic 0 480 02-22-2011 03:40 AM
Last Post: MRlogic
  Did you know these Interesting Facts About Christianity? deepemotionalguy 10 8,861 10-12-2010 01:52 PM
Last Post: Anthem
  Article on Witchcraft Jason 57 7,542 06-15-2010 11:44 AM
Last Post: hillbilly
  Please read this article by JennyD, a Christan belief 2 631 11-04-2009 11:21 AM
Last Post: GTseng3
  Something I found interesting. Joseph777 3 985 08-09-2008 01:17 PM
Last Post: Joseph777

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)