Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet Piracy
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Internet Piracy
Being in the digital age and all, there is a marked increase in illegal downloads of copyrighted material--videos, songs, software, pretty much anything that is written in 0s and 1s. People argue on both sides; on one hand, it is fair to argue that a program like Adobe Photoshop is woefully overpriced, but on the other, it still is just another form of theft.
Do you think it is moral for the individual consumer to use sites like the Pirate Bay or the like to get content that they would otherwise need to pay for?

--
In my opinion, it's a grey zone. While it is obviously just another form of theft, no question, stuff of the like should be cheaper and easier to access. Adobe has a huge customer base, and instead of fleesing the average consumer, it can put more weight on corporations (that don't care about a few hundred dollars). It's pretty impossible for an average person to buy a real licence for 3DS Max (around $5000), so one is pretty much forced to steal it.
Yet songs are different. While in truth a lot of them could be free, they are still pretty cheap on iTunes ($1.29 or $.99 isn't that much). And for people who can't use iTunes, there are other, less illegal ways to get songs.
Movies are even more of a mixed bag, considering this--most movies, after X months air on TV. Now, suppose someone wanted to record it to watch later. They just, in essence, got that movie for free. Is that stealing? Movies after a while tend to get opensourced whether the producers want that or not.

So, what are your guys' opinions on Internet Piracy?

make a wish: http://www.real-wishes.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2010, 08:23 AM
RE: Internet Piracy
(07-28-2010 02:48 PM)vociferous Wrote:  So, what are your guys' opinions on Internet Piracy?
I don't do it, regardless of the size or price of the data. To me stealing is stealing, if I can't afford to buy it legally I will happily go without.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.
08-02-2010, 02:33 AM
RE: Internet Piracy
Interesting question. Personally I do download music, but I think it depends on views really whether that's moral or not. I'm not going to try to argue that it's not stealing, but there's also the fact that cds are a rip off. The record industry should have kept up with the technology and perhaps adjusted their prices to keep themselves in the market.

I don't download films, as dvds are pretty cheap, but I refuse to pay £15 for a Lady Gaga album, when I can download it for free and spend the money going to see a local band and supporting them instead, maybe buying some merch so that the band actually see some of the money.

I personally think art, of whatever kind, should be available to all, and so I support downloading, and maybe the people making a loss should think more on how to give cd buyers value for money. Better packaging or something. I mean, it's worth buying a Tool cd for Alex Grey's artwork alone, but I'm not paying for the cd sleeve of a Little Boots if it's just the lyrics and a picture of her that I can just look at on the net.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)