Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Introductionsauce
05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Introductionsauce
Forum intro posts always felt weird and forced to me, but whatever, I'll give it a shot...

In the real world my name is Jordan, I'm a college student, and I'm a semester shy of completing my underdgrad work in Religious Studies (not theology...)--what will hopefully be the first big step towards a PhD in the field and a career as a college professor. I'm not religious myself, and I'm not entirely sure where my intense passion for the study of religion comes from. I try not to question these things.

My studies focus on new religious movements, particularly ones formed out of social conflicts with old religious orders, though I also do a fair amount of work with Buddhism (Madhyamaka in particular). Since I have more or less chosen to devote my entire life to religions that are primarily atheist, explicitly reject taking any teaching on faith, and are vehemently anti-dogmatic (except, perhaps, in the sense of playful dogma like that of LaVeyan Satanist ritual practice), I tend to have little tolerance for most arguments that claim to be against religion/ organized religion, and I have an almost obsessive compulsion to shoot down overly generalized/essentialized arguments about religion.

I have participated in various religion forums for quite some time, and am on the search for a new one because I've largely outgrown the communities that I normally frequent. This site seems active at the least, and hopefully I'll be able to find some intelligent conversation here.

"Religion is solely the creation of the scholar's study... Religion has no existence apart from the academy."
-JZ Smith, Imagining Religion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2010, 01:09 AM
RE: Introductionsauce
Hello! Welcome, Jordan. I'm Clementine, our resident Vodouisant, and one of two (that I know of) historians, so I definitely know what it's like to be preparing to finish up undergrad work and looking towards the future. Glad to have you.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome Jordan, I'm the village idiot, who's lost his village Big Grin

????????????????
05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh, haha, active, that's a very good one. Welcome to the Forums, I hope you can stay here for a while.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)