Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Atheism A Reaction To Religion?
04-11-2010, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 08:50 AM by kevlar.)
Is Atheism A Reaction To Religion?
Without meaning to upset anyone. I want to ask the question.
Is atheism a reaction to and rejection of religion, as much as it is a rejection of a belief in god, and more importantly christian religion?
I, hopefully will get my thoughts together in a more coherent manner as the discussion continues. One reason for this question, is that in a large number of cases, not all, on these boards atheists seem to exhibit animosity to the christian religion as a part of their atheism, ergo non belief in god.
I'll await some discussion before going further.
Before I do I will attempt to clarify my position as much as I can.
1:I do not believe in religion.
2:I believe that anyone else has every right to believe in religion.
3:I do not believe in atheism
4:Ditto point 2 exchange atheism for religion
5:I believe in none of the gods that i have encountered in others beliefs.
Edit
6:I am not atheist
7:I am not agnostic

????????????????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2010, 12:35 PM
RE: Is Atheism A Reaction To Religion?
(04-11-2010 05:33 AM)kevlar Wrote:  Without meaning to upset anyone. I want to ask the question.
Is atheism a reaction to and rejection of religion, as much as it is a rejection of a belief in god, and more importantly christian religion?
I, hopefully will get my thoughts together in a more coherent manner as the discussion continues. One reason for this question, is that in a large number of cases, not all, on these boards atheists seem to exhibit animosity to the christian religion as a part of their atheism, ergo non belief in god.
Edit

Of course atheism is a reaction, Kev, mainly in response to Christianity and Islam, since both those religions are ghastly and pernicious. Religion and God are inextricably linked in those cases but I do understand there are people like you who use the word God to mean something else. Your beliefs aren't dangerous, they're silly and fluffy and equivocal, but not dangerous, so your faith doesn't concern me in the slightest.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't think it is a reaction per se. I feel that in the absence of religious influence (note that I don't say in the absence of religion, because then the default state would obviously be atheism; in the absence of religious pedagogy but in a world where religion exists), people like myself who view the world and form opinions as objectively as possible would come to the conclusion that there is no such entity as the one described by many religions. One would not need the religious counterweight to give weight the the idea of atheism.

And God said unto John: "Come forth and receive eternal life!"
...But John came fifth and won a toaster.
04-11-2010, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 03:45 PM by TheJackel.)
No atheism is not.. Atheism only means that one does not follow fallacies, or religious ideological constructs.. I prefer the term "realist", or someone who bases their views on logic, reason, rationality, science, or free form thinking.. Hence, Theists attempting to turn intellectual critical thinking into a religious cult or just a reaction to religious ideological constructs. This is a disingenuous manipulative attempt to circumvent intellect to make people prone to blind submission to fallacious religious constructs. Theists only see this as a reaction, or as a religious standing because it contradicts their religious ideological position, belief, or fallacy.. This is why there is a religious war on science, and why you have idiots like the Banana man running around.
04-11-2010, 06:52 PM
When a child is born, they do not have knowledge of any religion. they are non-theistic in nature. they may not make a case againt or for any given religion. the label of "atheist" isnt proper when describing someone who just dosent think about religion. non-religious. you could call anyone who really dosent have an opinion on this matter, agnostic.

i know thats not the point. i just wanted to express that particular view...

Atheism itself is a reaction against organized religion and the traditional concept of God, for the most part. to lablel yourself an "atheist" means that you take an active stace against religion, you think about it... and you have an opinion.

You can be an atheist and still not allow the subject of religion to impact your life much in anyway. i would consider these people to be "weak" atheists... (nothing against them as people, just their stance is not grounded in too much philosophical thought)

The Todd
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 07:44 PM by TheJackel.)
(04-11-2010 06:52 PM)X_The Todd_X Wrote:  When a child is born, they do not have knowledge of any religion. they are non-theistic in nature. they may not make a case againt or for any given religion. the label of "atheist" isnt proper when describing someone who just dosent think about religion. non-religious. you could call anyone who really dosent have an opinion on this matter, agnostic.

Atheism itself is a reaction against organized religion and the traditional concept of God, for the most part. to lablel yourself an "atheist" means that you take an active stace against religion, you think about it... and you have an opinion.

You can be an atheist and still not allow the subject of religion to impact your life much in anyway. i would consider these people to be "weak" atheists... (nothing against them as people, just their stance is not grounded in too much philosophical thought)

The Todd

not true... Agnostic means you don't bother to ponder if a fallacy is true or false, or you are on the fence trying to decide.

Atheist is not strictly against religion, it's against any ideological fallacy..For example, atheists are not likely to believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, Pixies, or Leprechauns either.. Hence, when a person is born they are naturally open to logical objectivity to the wold they live in.. What defines an atheist from a theist is strictly in that atheists don't conform their lives to irrational fallacious ideological constructs, and then profess to know the moral plan and will of such projected fallacy.

Atheism is only naturally a stance against fallacy.. It's that simple.. hence, they don't believe something someone tells us to believe in without means of substantiation to prove it's validity, or plausibility. even plausible fallacies are not taken serious until proven otherwise.

The correct term for Atheist is "Realist"
04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
(04-11-2010 07:41 PM)TheJackel Wrote:  
(04-11-2010 06:52 PM)X_The Todd_X Wrote:  When a child is born, they do not have knowledge of any religion. they are non-theistic in nature. they may not make a case againt or for any given religion. the label of "atheist" isnt proper when describing someone who just dosent think about religion. non-religious. you could call anyone who really dosent have an opinion on this matter, agnostic.

The Todd

not true... Agnostic means you don't bother to ponder if a fallacy is true or false, or you are on the fence trying to decide.

Atheist is not strictly against religion, it's against any ideological fallacy..For example, atheists are not likely to believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, Pixies, or Leprechauns either.. Hence, when a person is born they are naturally open to logical objectivity to the wold they live in.. What defines an atheist from a theist is strictly in that atheists don't conform their lives to irrational fallacious ideological constructs, and then profess to know the moral plan and will of such projected fallacy.

Atheism is only naturally a stance against fallacy.. It's that simple.. hence, they don't believe something someone tells us to believe in without means of substantiation to prove it's validity, or plausibility. even plausible fallacies are not taken serious until proven otherwise.

The correct term for Atheist is "Realist"

ill agree with that interpretation, for the most part anyway... there's always two ways to skin a cat.

The Tod
04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
(04-11-2010 05:33 AM)kevlar Wrote:  Without meaning to upset anyone. I want to ask the question.
Edit

No, Atheism just means you dont believe in any religion, And it doesnt mean you are rebelling against christianity
04-12-2010, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2010 04:55 AM by kevlar.)
I thought this might develop into an interesting thread, we have quite a diversity of stated opinion from the group of 5 atheist respondents, don't you think? But of course you have all said, one way or another, that Atheism is indeed a reaction to religion, now Jack argues that atheism should be called realism, because basically they don't believe in religion. WHAAAAAAAAAAT? Oh he does call it fallacy but he also calls it religion they are synonymous as far as his arguments are concerned.
The man likes to "come to the conclusion that there is no such entity as the one described by many religions" but feels that those religions have no influence over that conclusion, even if it is their gods that he refuses to believe in.
Todd sort of believes "Atheism itself is a reaction against organized religion and the traditional concept of God, for the most part. to lablel yourself an "atheist" means that you take an active stace against religion, you think about it... and you have an opinion. "
But also that "Atheist is not strictly against religion" ( a Jack point)
Hobbit is unequivocal in that it most certainly is a reaction.
Ruben is convinced it is a reaction to religion.

????????????????
04-18-2010, 06:31 AM
So it would seem that we have unanimity from our atheists. ATHEISM is more likely to be a rejection of religion, and what it stands for, than a rejection of a belief in God per se.

????????????????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can Atheism be considered a religion? asynchronicity 363 37,938 01-19-2011 12:56 AM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)