Poll: Is Islam an open-minded religion? why?
Yes 100%
No
somewhat
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Islam an open-minded religion?
09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Is Islam an open-minded religion?
Is Islam an open-minded religion? What's your opinion? Are there too many rules? Would it be better if everyone were muslim? post here...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
RE: Is Islam an open-minded religion?
That question's a bit loaded isn't it? Some Muslims are open minded, whereas some Muslims are not. You can't really stereotype all the people in one of the major religions one way or the other.
09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
(09-15-2009 12:22 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  That question's a bit loaded isn't it? Some Muslims are open minded, whereas some Muslims are not. You can't really stereotype all the people in one of the major religions one way or the other.

I meant the concepts and beliefs/practices in the religion. Not the individual beliefs that aren't linked to religion.
09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
It's still tricky, and I'm not sure you can completely dispell individual beliefs. There are parts in the Qur'an which can justify different ideas and interpretations. Muslims should be tollerant towards Jews and Christians as all three religions' followers are 'People of the Book', but this does not necessarly happen in real life. Some Muslims take this literally, others may choose other parts of the Qur'an that suit their ideas more.

Islam is not a strict set of rules (other than what's in the Qur'an), and the Hadith (words and deeds of the Prophet) are consulted by experts to decide things which are not specified in the Qur'an.

Individual belief is intrinsically tied into any religion, and to see the difference, look perhaps at the difference between Turkey and Iran. Both are Islamic states, but they are quite different, as far as I'm aware, in terms of their open-mindedness.
09-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Islam is every bit as open minded as every other exclusive religion with a list of laws for living. By which I mean, of course it's not open minded. It's incredibly intolerant of anyone who does not follow its rules.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-15-2009, 05:38 PM
(09-15-2009 12:56 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  It's still tricky, and I'm not sure you can completely dispell individual beliefs. There are parts in the Qur'an which can justify different ideas and interpretations. Muslims should be tollerant towards Jews and Christians as all three religions' followers are 'People of the Book', but this does not necessarly happen in real life. Some Muslims take this literally, others may choose other parts of the Qur'an that suit their ideas more.

Islam is not a strict set of rules (other than what's in the Qur'an), and the Hadith (words and deeds of the Prophet) are consulted by experts to decide things which are not specified in the Qur'an.

Individual belief is intrinsically tied into any religion, and to see the difference, look perhaps at the difference between Turkey and Iran. Both are Islamic states, but they are quite different, as far as I'm aware, in terms of their open-mindedness.
There are parts in the Qur'an which can justify different ideas - The Quraan is not same as the bible

there are no differences between parts or the words of the Quraan
Quraan is one its teachings and orders

surah an-Nisaa
82. Then do they not reflect upon the Quraan? If it had been
from [any] other than Allah, they would have found within it
much contradiction.

Quraan order to Muslims should be tollerant towards Jews and Christians as all three religions' followers are 'People of the Book' that is right but The Quraan order us to face and fight them if they come to kill or occupy and to be enemy
surah an-Nisaa
82. Then do they not reflect upon the Quraan? If it had been
from [any] other than Allah, they would have found within it
much contradiction.

are consulted by experts to decide things which are not specified in the Qur'an.
The hadith and Quraan is one and order the same things
you can say the hadith is explanation and detailing of the orders of the Quraan
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
(09-15-2009 05:38 PM)moslemman Wrote:  There are parts in the Qur'an which can justify different ideas - The Quraan is not same as the bible

I didn't say that the Qur'an has differences, I said that some people choose to justify their actions with certain parts of the text. I am arguing the differences between individuals, or groups, of Muslim action. If it was so black and white, surely the entire Muslim community of the world would act in unison? It doesn't though.

(09-15-2009 05:38 PM)moslemman Wrote:  The hadith and Quraan is one and order the same things

Are they?!? The Qur'an is the word of God, the Hadith are merely the acts and deeds of Muhammed - correct me if I'm wrong, but it was an Imam who first explained that to me, and the books I have read since say this too.

There are various degrees to the authenticity of the Hadith, where some are trusted more than others, whereas the Qur'an cannot be doubted by Muslims. In no way are they the same order of things!
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
(09-15-2009 10:02 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  
(09-15-2009 05:38 PM)moslemman Wrote:  There are parts in the Qur'an which can justify different ideas - The Quraan is not same as the bible

I didn't say that the Qur'an has differences, I said that some people choose to justify their actions with certain parts of the text. I am arguing the differences between individuals, or groups, of Muslim action. If it was so black and white, surely the entire Muslim community of the world would act in unison? It doesn't though.

(09-15-2009 05:38 PM)moslemman Wrote:  The hadith and Quraan is one and order the same things

Are they?!? The Qur'an is the word of God, the Hadith are merely the acts and deeds of Muhammed - correct me if I'm wrong, but it was an Imam who first explained that to me, and the books I have read since say this too.

There are various degrees to the authenticity of the Hadith, where some are trusted more than others, whereas the Qur'an cannot be doubted by Muslims. In no way are they the same order of things!

okk off course i mean the good degrees of the hadith Consistent with the
Quraan and explain it - the non good degrees of hadith are not taken
09-23-2009, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2009 01:08 AM by Azrael17.)
(09-15-2009 12:01 PM)XxXHjJXxX Wrote:  Is Islam an open-minded religion? What's your opinion? Are there too many rules? Would it be better if everyone were muslim? post here...

Well it would depend on the person,
any one who thinks it's okay to kill has to be closed minded!

Any one who thinks it's okay to get along with people of other
faiths is open minded.

I'm not saying you should change what you believe in just that you should never tell some one else they have to do the same as you.

People have free will If you want them to follow what you do then lead them don't bleed them!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Islam is just an inherently backwards and barbaric religion? Photosphere 95 20,328 03-05-2014 07:51 PM
Last Post: Jay
  Who said Islam is a peaceful religion? Yessica 56 5,879 01-29-2014 04:57 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
Smile Islam Now biggest religion Islam=True 42 5,302 02-07-2011 01:28 PM
Last Post: EqualAtheist
Smile Which unrelated culture/religion is most similar to Islam? Stonecold 15 4,542 02-03-2011 02:32 PM
Last Post: Abu Rashid

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)