Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is The New Testament Cannon the Word of God? [/size][/font]Let me start by defining
02-16-2018, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 08:13 AM by Amememhab.)
RE: Is The New Testament Cannon the Word of God? [/size][/font]Let me start by defining
(02-16-2018 02:36 AM)Brother Gerald Wrote:  
(03-21-2016 11:51 AM)Axiom Wrote:  Let me start by defining the word “cannon”. It means measuring rod...The idea of compiling these letters into cannon was more than likely the idea of man...Nowhere in the cannon does God give instructions as to...which books to include or exclude....God does not make mistakes...The New Testament...[contains] so many scribal errors...historical inconsistencies, chronological ambiguities...that it would be absolutely abomination to ascribe this work to God...

God is a Spirit, not a book...Get to know Him, and it matters not if the New Testament is the cannon word or not...

Axiom, who used the forum for 3 weeks in March-April 2016 and whose religious views are a bit unclear to me although probably Jewish and definitely unitarian, won’t see your advice or offer reply. However, I wish to criticize a viewpoint he expressed, that the “suffering servant” of Isaiah 53 is the nation Israel. Nothing in Isaiah supports that. He was “despised and rejected, a man of suffering” (53:3), “The righteous one” (53:11) who was “wounded for our transgressions” (53:5), to whom, “when you make his life an offering for sin,” God “will allot…a portion with the great” (53:10, 12).

This is clearly a man, perhaps Isaiah himself, or another prophet contemporary with Isaiah. The 2nd person pronoun “you” refers to Israel, the entity which is persecuting the servant. Ahab, king of Samaria and Israel, was noted for marrying a lady, Jezebel, who started killing off prophets, with the purpose of converting Israel to Baal worship, until Obadiah hid the survivors in a cave (1 Kings 16:29, 31, 18:4). Matthew labeled Jerusalem a “city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it” (23:37).

There is no way to determine whether Isaiah 53 foretells Jesus Christ. To be honest, my guess is that it does not. Christ lay 700+ years into Isaiah’s future. To backdate the New Testament to Hebrew bible verses it quotes in attempts to support the Advent is as inappropriate as to project the NT forward into our own era with a specific timeline for Christ’s return. Such anachronism is not a theological method I favor.

However, Jesus did fulfill the role of the suffering servant Isaiah had described. Thought of as a role more than one person can play, Isaiah 53 does pertain to Christ even if its original audience had no idea the Advent was in store. I agree with you that God is a live spirit, not a book. The book is important insofar as it gives us some history and a strongly-worded statement that Jesus came to place the Law on a basis of love, and that Paul came to extend a new covenant to Jew and gentile alike.

User Axiom: that the “suffering servant” is Israel
Who is the Suffering Servant, post #1
http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-Who...#pid258726

A cannon is a big gun, by the way; the word was supposed to be “canon.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 02:04 PM by Visqueen.)
RE: Is The New Testament Cannon the Word of God? [/size][/font]Let me start by defining
Amememhab
Quote:Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.”

The first figure of speech in this rhyme in red is called Epanadiplosis; or, Encircling.

The Repetition of the same Word or Words at the beginning and end of a Sentence.

The Figure is frequently hidden or lost in translation of The Bible.

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: again I will say, Rejoice.

Joshua 15:25 "And Hazor, Hadattah, and Kerioth, and Hezron, which is Hazor."

The second figure of speech in this rhyme in blue is called Anadiplosis; or, Like Sentence Endings and Beginnings.

The Repetition of the same Word or Words at the end of one Sentence and at the beginning of another.

Quote:“Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.”

Anadiplosisis is the very first Figure of speech employed in the Bible.

The Repetition of the same Word or Words at the end of one Sentence and at the beginning of another.

Gen 1:1-2.-"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth became without form and void."

Romans 10:17, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Quote:Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, a peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.”

In Hebrew the Peter Piper rhyme would be perceived through the Hebrew thought process of correspondence of alternating ideas not of rhyme.

A| Peter Piper picked
--B| a peck of pickled peppers,
--B| a peck of pickled peppers
A| Peter Piper picked.

Bible Dictionary, Fausset – Poetry
III.Parallelism is the characteristic form of Hebrew poetry.
Its peculiar excellence is that, whereas poetry of other nations suffers much by translation, (for the versification depends on the recurrence of certain sounds at regular intervals), Hebrew poetry suffers but little, for its principle is the parallel correspondence of thoughts, not sounds, thought/rhythm Ewald designates it; a remarkable proof that from the first the Spirit designed Holy Scripture for nations of every tongue.
Rabbi Azariah anticipated Bishop Lowth in the theory of parallelism. Parallelism affords a clue to the meaning of many passages; the sense of a word being explained by the corresponding word in the parallel clause.
The Masoretic punctuation marks the metrical arrangement by distinctive accents; the thought in the inspired volume is more prominent than the form.

The Pentateuch has 5845 verses
The prophets have 9294 verses
The Hagiographa have 8064
The scriptures altogether have 23203 verses.

The following two verses are the mnemonic sign:
All the days that Adam lived were 930 years’ [ Gen. 5:5]
And all the day’s firstborn males by number of names were 22373 [Num] 3.43]
930 +22373=23203

The sign thereof is: ‘Remember man that nothing must be put to it nor any thing be taken from: And God doeth it that men should fear before him[Eccl.3:14]

Introduction of the Massoretico-critical edition of the Hebrew Bible Chapter 6 page 106

Is it your premise that the Hebrew change their structural memorization tool of parallel correspondence of thoughts in the New Testament or it’s just not western style poetry?

*edit - content removed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bible reveals the Tribulation could start in march 2018 !!! Revelation2012 1 36 02-11-2018 02:07 AM
Last Post: The_Squid
  Why does the Old Testament end with a book concerning love whirlingmerc 4 165 01-09-2018 12:49 PM
Last Post: Jayhawker Soule
  Why is 'the other city who's walls fell' in the old testament less well known whirlingmerc 0 60 12-26-2017 08:58 PM
Last Post: whirlingmerc
  Where is the son of God in the Old Testament? chucknance 274 16,539 03-16-2017 05:54 PM
Last Post: Sue D.
  Is the bible the word of God? domenic 33 2,772 12-13-2016 05:34 PM
Last Post: PeterPants
  A Theological contradiction in the New Testament. Azrael17 100 14,607 08-28-2016 06:55 PM
Last Post: Avun Jahei
  God's Word sledgehammer 97 10,548 01-28-2015 01:59 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  the other half of the old testament... Adi Baba 85 5,284 02-12-2014 04:46 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  I want to start a NEW bible godnads 116 7,267 07-12-2013 05:37 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME
  The word "Bible" is from the word "Babel" (Babylon) ! Samuel 4 1,807 10-15-2012 11:47 PM
Last Post: Hamza Abdulhakim

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)