Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is consciousness just an illusion?
04-05-2017, 11:10 PM
RE: Is consciousness just an illusion?
Yeah.. Saying those words and then calling me a hypocrite for the same but opposite thing (which i never even said) is kinda crazy Tongue

But if he disnt mean that then thats fine.

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Don't ever put Descartes before the horse. You Kant come back from that sort of mistake.

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.
05-19-2017, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2017 02:56 PM by Anglican.)
Quote:Consciousness is real. Of course it is. We experience it every day. But for Daniel Dennett, consciousness is no more real than the screen on your laptop or your phone."

If he has to resort to that kind of analogy, what he is saying, but not admitting it, is that he has not got a clue how consciousness is to be accounted for, anymore than anybody else has.

Quote:The geeks who make electronic devices call what we see on our screens the "user illusion".

I have heard it called the user interface, but in all the computer science books I have read, and I have quite a few on my bookshelves, I have never once heard it called the user illusion.
05-19-2017, 03:10 PM
It's worth repeating again that all the major English-speaking philosophers of mind today in the analytic tradition disagree completely with Dennett's outdated views (I think he's an identity theorist or functionalist but both are outdated now, especially the first).

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "problem" of self-consciousness (or self-reflection) AnrBjotk 11 2,327 05-01-2013 10:23 AM
Last Post: AnrBjotk
  Define consciousness? HamzahA 5 667 03-17-2012 10:11 AM
Last Post: thomasj6299
  Is Freewill Really an Illusion? High Frequency 36 3,975 03-04-2012 11:23 PM
Last Post: chucknance

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)