Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it okay for Muslim women to have jobs?
05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Is it okay for Muslim women to have jobs?
Is it okay for Muslim women to work in a non-Muslim environment with other men?

Is it okay for Muslim men to work in a non-Muslim environment with other women?

What does the Koran/Hadith say about such things?
I am particularly interested about what it says about these things regarding women. Traditionally women in Muslim families become housewives but today more and more Muslim women are seeking employment/job vacancies as they become more educated and independent. So my question is, is it okay for women to have jobs or is it better if they just stay home and look after the children?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
RE: Is it okay for Muslim women to have jobs?
(05-31-2011 07:44 AM)Stonecold Wrote:  ...is it okay for women to have jobs or is it better if they just stay home and look after the children?

What's agreed between husband & wife is fine.

The Qur'an says there is no harm in a woman giving her child to a 'wet nurse', so as to continue with her profession, but in many cases, it would be better for a woman to stay at home looking after her children .. depends on the social value of the job, really, I would say.

It goes without saying, that a married woman should not be coerced into working against her will, particularly if she is pregnant or has children!
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
(05-31-2011 03:58 PM)isa_muhammad Wrote:  It goes without saying, that a married woman should not be coerced into working against her will, particularly if she is pregnant or has children!

Is the reverse true? Should a married woman be coerced into staying at home against her will? I'm not trying to imply anything about Islam here, but I'm curious about your decision to focus on coercion in one specific direction.
05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
(05-31-2011 04:11 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Should a married woman be coerced into staying at home against her will?

It doesn't answer the OP, but I would encourage a married woman to stay at home, if I considered the full-time job she wanted to do had little social value
ie. wasn't a doctor, nurse or teacher etc.

These things are best discussed before getting married..
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2011 06:49 PM by Painkiller.)
What if I encouraged her to go out and work, because I considered her full-time job to have great social value? What if her judgment of her job's "social value" is different to yours - whose judgement takes priority? Also, is the difference between "encouraged" and "coerced" always clear-cut? If you're "encouraging" her do you eventually have to reach a point where you accept that she just doesn't see it the same way as you and give in, or is there a limit on the amount of emotional weight you can place on the encouragement?

I agree that you should fully discuss how you both see things going before you get married, but situations change, and people can react to them in ways that they wouldn't have expected to.
You're right, it doesn't really answer the OP, but unless Stonecold asks us to stop I'd like to hear your answers. I'm always fascinated by statements which seem on the surface quite balanced, but appear built on an assumption that one way has priority over another.
06-01-2011, 06:47 AM
There's nothing in Islam preventing it, but as mentioned, if she has a family, then best for her to stay at home and to manage the family.

The Western concept of "liberation" for women has done nothing but destroy the family structure, and the social problems that this has caused are immense, and are just beginning to be felt on a large scale.

Islam replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind..
(Isaac Taylor, Anglican Canon of York).
06-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Wow that is exactly what we could expect from a fundamentalist muslim of conversion status, especially one who hates his society. What exactly is monkishness, "being a monk"?

????????????????
06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
What about those of us who both raise the kids, and both work full time.

I am curious, not that it will actually change anything, but in my family, my wife works full time. She has no interest in staying home full time, and not helping out with the bills. I work full time, and while I would stay home with the kids, would not be able to afford our house if I did so. Her hours and my hours keeps it, so that one of us is always home with kids at all times, and still get to see each other throughout the day. On the few occasions when our schedules overlap, our parents will help out by coming over and watching the kids until one of us gets home.

Now, here is something that I have noticed in comparism with my brothers kids, and my wife's brothers kids, and my sisters kids. My brother has a wife who is a stay at home mom. She does not work, and raises the kids. My brother in law, works, and so does his wife, and they often find babysitters, and use daycare. My sister does not work, and neither does her husband, and they struggle, but have family that keeps them in a place to live.

My kids are well behaved. They know their manners, always say please and thank you. Always complimented out in public. I never fear going out to eat with my kids, because I know they will behave.

My brother on the other hand, has kids that always act out. They are usually pretty good with manners, but have many moments when they are not. They do not like to take their kids out in public, because they act out.

My sisters kids, are terrible. Manners are non existant, and to take them out, is almost like asking to be kicked out of whatever place they go to.

So, would the way my wife and I go against the Muslim ideals?

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.
06-05-2011, 07:15 PM
(06-05-2011 06:53 PM)EqualAtheist Wrote:  So, would the way my wife and I go against the Muslim ideals?

It's perfectly fine for you both to work full-time, and both subscribe towards the cost of living etc. as long as the children are not spiritually/emotionally neglected.

In Islam, the husband is obliged to look after his wife & children financially, whereas the wife can spend her money how she wishes.

There is no equality legislation regards pay in an Islamic society.
A woman might receive more or less renumeration than a man, depending on many factors, but will often receive less .. as it's closer to 'market forces', and there is generally no statutory paid maternity leave etc.
06-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Quote:So, would the way my wife and I go against the Muslim ideals?

Not at all.

For the first 6 months of my marriage, my wife was working full time, and I was working part time. There's nothing in Islam that mandates who must or must not work or stay home.

Islam replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind..
(Isaac Taylor, Anglican Canon of York).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stories of women who became muslim and??? success 0 833 12-03-2010 02:03 PM
Last Post: success
  Women in Islam Vs. Women in the Judaeo-Christian Tradition super.girl 1 945 08-11-2010 08:32 AM
Last Post: PhoenixDawn
  Can a Muslim woman marry a Non-Muslim? Azrael17 16 5,446 08-05-2010 01:11 AM
Last Post: super.girl
Smile Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads? super.girl 0 547 08-05-2010 01:01 AM
Last Post: super.girl

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)