Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it wrong to love everyone equally?
05-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Is it wrong to love everyone equally?
I'm just curious as to how people perceive love and its role in everyone's lives. I've heard that you should only love people who deserve to be loved and that you should love everyone without restriction. I won't say which I believe because I don't want to necessarily start a debate. I'd just like to hear people's opinions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2009, 05:41 PM
RE: Is it wrong to love everyone equally?
I agree with Orson Scott Card. The only way to understand someone is to love them. Thus, you must love not only your friends, but your enemies as well (because, as Sun Tzu wrote, you should know your enemy AND know yourself). Naturally, once you love your enemy you will be reluctant to consider them your enemy. Thus, any conflict that is not absolutely necessary will be eliminated.

It's a beautiful ideal, and one that I hold to. Love often. Love many. It's really the most useful and beautiful emotion to have.
05-02-2009, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2009 11:37 PM by Zeshi.)
My father says that you can judge a man's character by how he treats his enemies. I agree with him.
Also, forgot about this, but would you also hold the ideal love always. love everyone.?
05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Does someone that has done a high level wrong deserve to be loved?

If we had a perfect world, the love all method would be good. But the fact is we haven't managed to get there. We may never find that utopia.

Would you kill for love?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Even people who have done things that are very wrong, cruel, or evil, are still human beings. Can you not still see them as such and recognize their ability to do good if they are motivated? They deserve a chance to change don't they? And how else can they change other than through someone showing them genuine love and caring?

If you loved everyone equally who would you kill for love?
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2009 11:27 AM by George.)
For high level wrongs - No Mercey, No Chances.

For medium level wrongs - Two chances.

For low level wrongs - Three chances.

For mistakes - Education.

---------------------------------------------------

To reach a Utopia, I would kill whoever I had too.

---------------------------------------------------

Are humans the only beings you care about?
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
(05-05-2009 10:07 AM)Zeshi Wrote:  Even people who have done things that are very wrong, cruel, or evil, are still human beings. Can you not still see them as such and recognize their ability to do good if they are motivated? They deserve a chance to change don't they? And how else can they change other than through someone showing them genuine love and caring?

Well, the problem is that good and evil aren't definitive. What one individual sees as "good" could be the very definition of "evil" to another. What does exist is a person's outlook on life, and that's something only the individual themselves can decide on and change. And while it's definitely possible to influence someone, changing them is another story entirely. No amount of caring and love will change someone who feels these actions/emotions are meaningless to begin with.

(05-05-2009 10:07 AM)Zeshi Wrote:  If you loved everyone equally who would you kill for love?"

A murderer who very much loves everyone could still believe that they are killing because of said love.
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
The hierarchy of wrongs, I don't understand, George. Who defines which are high and which are low? This corresponds to Omnifarious's comment about good and evil not being definitive. I just wonder how anything that hurts people can be considered good. I don't see how a murderer could justify killing people because he loves them. Unless they are already dying in an extremely painful way and ask to be killed quickly out of an act of mercy.
Of course, I suppose there are some instances where helping someone appears to be hurting them, kinda like when a parent doesn't allow their kid to do something because they know it's a bad idea, but the kid see's it as an offense and they feel hurt. Still, I don't think death could fall into this category.

And humans are not the only beings I care about. You can ask anyone who knows me how much I love animals and they will tell you. However, unlike a lot of people, I don't think that animals have souls in the sense that humans do. I don't think they have a consciousness that even comes close to ours no matter how "intelligent" they are. Also, I kinda eat some animals, so I definitely don't claim to care about them as much as people.
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2009 11:10 AM by George.)
Zeshi Wrote:Who defines which are high and which are low?

Can you not tell the difference between right and wrong?

I believe that there must be a definative right and wrong within society for it to function properly.

The 'love all' method has been used many times before, history has proven that this method does not work.

Zeshi Wrote:I just wonder how anything that hurts people can be considered good.

What is happening to our planet?

What is the solution? Are we to wait until it is too late?

The solution will jusify the means.

Zeshi Wrote:However, unlike a lot of people, I don't think that animals have souls in the sense that humans do.

Does this make us better?

You do not 'love'.

You 'love' humans.
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
There's right and wrong, but it's not definitive. See, it's very easy to pick someone close to the middle on a moral issue. When a man walks up to a stranger and brutally murders them, that's easy to identify as wrong. When a wealthy thief steals from the poor, that's easy to identify as wrong. I don't think anyone would deny that those things are wrong.

But what if a man harms someone because they have threatened to harm his family? What if a thief steals because there is no other way to feed himself and his children? As you get closer to the line between wrong and acceptable, it becomes much harder, and eventually impossible, to truly tell which side of the line you are one. It's a gray area, and its much larger than most people think.

Very few people truly commit acts of evil just to be evil. Almost everyone justifies themselves in some way. To the one committing the act, they are always right.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)