Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is the Word of God set in Stone!?!
09-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Is the Word of God set in Stone!?!
The end of Revelations says:
"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

But that says Revelations is not to be changed it is says nothing about the Word of God remaining the same forever.

Every thing but God changes and so it would make sense that as time goes on the Word would evolve and change.

The Bible was put together and now a few hundred years have passed and we still haven't gotten any wiser.

People of today act as if God doesn't speak to his people any more but he does.

The Bible was written by People who where Imperfect.
Those Imperfect people where inspired by God.

You just need to listen for God and you'l know she still talks to us.

So my Question to all of you is this.
How can Gods Word be complete and unchangeable?
If that where the case then rip your Bibles in half and only read the Old Testament.

We are coming to a Cross road in this day and age.
Either Christianity will learn from it's mistakes or it will become like Greek Mythology and fade away.
The biggest mistake of a Christian is to Judge.
We all need to become open minded.
When some one falls don't knock them down help them back up.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2009, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2009 03:55 PM by catholicstation.)
RE: Is the Word of God set in Stone!?!
(09-30-2009 12:25 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  The end of Revelations says:
"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

But that says Revelations is not to be changed it is says nothing about the Word of God remaining the same forever.

Every thing but God changes and so it would make sense that as time goes on the Word would evolve and change.

The Bible was put together and now a few hundred years have passed and we still haven't gotten any wiser.

People of today act as if God doesn't speak to his people any more but he does.

The Bible was written by People who where Imperfect.
Those Imperfect people where inspired by God.

You just need to listen for God and you'l know she still talks to us.

So my Question to all of you is this.
How can Gods Word be complete and unchangeable?
If that where the case then rip your Bibles in half and only read the Old Testament.

We are coming to a Cross road in this day and age.
Either Christianity will learn from it's mistakes or it will become like Greek Mythology and fade away.
The biggest mistake of a Christian is to Judge.
We all need to become open minded.
When some one falls don't knock them down help them back up.

If G-D's Word is set in Stone - You are irrelevent - And Mohamed was a False Prophet
------------------------------------------------
John
29 Jesus saith to him: Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and have believed. 30 Many other signs also did Jesus in the sight of his disciples, which are not written in this book. 31 But these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God: and that believing, you may have life in his name.

Acts Of Apostles 15
40 But Paul choosing Silas, departed, being delivered by the brethren to the grace of God. 41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches, commanding them to keep the precepts of the apostles and the ancients

2 Thessalonians 2
13 Whereunto also he hath called you by our gospel, unto the purchasing of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 14 Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle. 15 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God and our Father, who hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation, and good hope in grace, 16 Exhort your hearts, and confirm you in every good work and word.

unwritten traditions are no less to be received than their epistles.
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
(10-02-2009 03:54 PM)catholicstation Wrote:  If G-D's Word is set in Stone - You are irrelevent - And Mohamed was a False Prophet

Unwritten traditions are no less to be received than their epistles.

I'm not Muslim.
What's an Epistle?

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
10-03-2009, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2009 01:33 AM by catholicstation.)
(10-03-2009 12:11 AM)Azrael17 Wrote:  
(10-02-2009 03:54 PM)catholicstation Wrote:  If G-D's Word is set in Stone - You are irrelevent - And Mohamed was a False Prophet

Unwritten traditions are no less to be received than their epistles.

I'm not Muslim.
What's an Epistle?
Epistle Of Saint James
http://www.drbo.org/

The Bible was not originally inspired with divisions by chapter and verse. The ancient manuscripts did not have them.

One man, Cardinal Hugo de Sancto Caro, started to do this from 1244 to 1248 A.D. He did this while creating a concordance of the Latin Vulgate, in order to help people look up verses of the Bible.

Modern chapter divisions were apparently devised by Stephen Langton, who was an Archbishop of Canterbury in England. He started to do this around 1227 A.D. The Wycliffe English Bible did use them, as it was circulated in 1382.
10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
An epistle is a letter. In the Bible it is used to describe the "letters", which is pretty much everything from Romans to Jude, which were originally a series of letters written by men like Paul, James, Peter, and John to a series of churches. The epistles reference specific issues those churches were having, and often mention specific events that had occurred in those churches.

In the bible the epistles actually form the bulk of christian theology, filling in the gaps left by the gospels.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-04-2009, 11:29 PM
(10-03-2009 10:37 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  An epistle is a letter. In the Bible it is used to describe the "letters", which is pretty much everything from Romans to Jude, which were originally a series of letters written by men like Paul, James, Peter, and John to a series of churches. The epistles reference specific issues those churches were having, and often mention specific events that had occurred in those churches.

In the bible the epistles actually form the bulk of christian theology, filling in the gaps left by the gospels.

Thank you!

So where Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John written by Jesus's Apostles or some one else at a later date.
Is there Scientific evidence and where can I find a Link to confirm that.
I mean how old is the oldest written Gospel.

10-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, define scientific evidence. The very existence of many of these figures is only confirmed by other people in the church, but the early church fathers did write about them and there's no reason to suspect they did not exist.

Matthew and John were actually Jesus's apostles. Mark and Luke were not. All the gospels were supposedly written later, as was Acts (by Luke). These are considered historical texts. They were not written as letters, but rather as dissertations and records of what happened, to give general knowledge (and, most likely, to record the myths that had sprung up in the 50 years between the death of Christ and the writing of the gospels.)

From Romans (the book after Acts) to Jude, we have epistles. Unlike the gospels, the epistles were not written for general consumption, but rather were specific letters addressed to specific churches. Normally they cover doctrinal issues that those particular churches were having at the moment, and thus church leaders like Paul, James, Peter, and John wrote letters to clarify those issues. There are a lot of debates over just who wrote what books. It's very likely that the latter books of Peter and John were written by other people entirely, and Paul likewise might not have written all the epistles he is traditionally credited with.

Finally we have Revelation (or the Apocalypse of John,) which is supposedly a description of a prophecy received by John when he was exiled to the Isle of Patmos, but most likely was a propaganda piece that utilized heavy metaphor to get past what amounted to Roman censorship of any such texts.

That's the New Testament in a nutshell. There are resources on the web you can search for in order to get more depth.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-05-2009, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2009 12:47 AM by Azrael17.)
(10-05-2009 12:26 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Well, define scientific evidence. The very existence of many of these figures is only confirmed by other people in the church, but the early church fathers did write about them and there's no reason to suspect they did not exist.

Matthew and John were actually Jesus's apostles. Mark and Luke were not. All the gospels were supposedly written later, as was Acts (by Luke). These are considered historical texts. They were not written as letters, but rather as dissertations and records of what happened, to give general knowledge (and, most likely, to record the myths that had sprung up in the 50 years between the death of Christ and the writing of the gospels.)

From Romans (the book after Acts) to Jude, we have epistles. Unlike the gospels, the epistles were not written for general consumption, but rather were specific letters addressed to specific churches. Normally they cover doctrinal issues that those particular churches were having at the moment, and thus church leaders like Paul, James, Peter, and John wrote letters to clarify those issues. There are a lot of debates over just who wrote what books. It's very likely that the latter books of Peter and John were written by other people entirely, and Paul likewise might not have written all the epistles he is traditionally credited with.

Finally we have Revelation (or the Apocalypse of John,) which is supposedly a description of a prophecy received by John when he was exiled to the Isle of Patmos, but most likely was a propaganda piece that utilized heavy metaphor to get past what amounted to Roman censorship of any such texts.

That's the New Testament in a nutshell. There are resources on the web you can search for in order to get more depth.

Well I wanted to know how old the oldest copy of one of these Gospels is.

A Question for GtSeng what Religion or Faith do you belong to?
I'm just curious.

10-05-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm an atheist. I see no need for religion or blind faith. Faith should be based on evidence.

The dates of the gospels are hotly debated. Around AD 70 is a good ballpark figure, though frankly I don't know nearly as much about this as Parousia does. Do some searches on this forum, he's talked about the dates of the gospels at length.

10-06-2009, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2009 04:56 AM by Zagreus.)
As an example, Parousia has gone into this in detail in the Jesus, real or Archetype, thread, which is in the God Talk section.

In a nut shell, the Letters are the oldest part of the NT, written not long after Jesus' death. It is believed that Mark is the oldest gospel, with Matthew and Luke next, and John being the most recent (but still 2,000 years old). Revelations was not written by this John, by the way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Jesus - Word of God MB_324 11 1,782 03-28-2012 09:34 AM
Last Post: ezravan
  Epistlle of James neither the word of God nor of the apostle according to Luther Ahmadi 3 765 08-12-2010 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ahmadi
  A Word From God th1bill 14 2,220 06-12-2010 09:41 AM
Last Post: kevlar

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)