Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
RE: Is truth constant through time?
depends on what your talking about.
biblical stories are not constant.
scientific laws/theories are constant (save for the sub-atomic matter or faster than light travel. but they have their own special laws)

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
Find all posts by this user
06-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Shadrach Wrote:depends on what your talking about.
scientific laws/theories are constant (save for the sub-atomic matter or faster than light travel. but they have their own special laws)

Theories are not constant. For example, take the structure of the atom. At first scientists theorized that the electrons of the atom are embedded inside it like raisins in a muffin. They found out they were wrong, so they theorized that the electrons orbit around the atom in a fixed orbital radius. And lately they discovered that there is not definite radius for the orbit of the electron around the atom; it moves in a wave form. So science keeps approaching the truth, but it can never reach the absolute truth, I think.
06-16-2008, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2008 09:44 PM by Maple_Syrup.)
asynchronicity Wrote:From another discussion....

According to some, there is no such thing as absolute truth. Look at this scenario: I saw a bird fly by my window yesterday and thats the truth from my point of view. But I also took a large dose of LSD earlier that day and the hallucinogenic effect might still have remained. It is likely I have imagined it. My friend was sitting beside me and I asked him if he saw a bird fly by my window; he said he never seen it. But my friend has a sleeping problem and he tends to doze off every other minute, so he probably missed the flying bird while he was sleeping.

From my perspective, truth is that the bird flew by my window. and from my friend's perspective, it never flew by.

No one is right and no one is wrong. And there is no way to tell the truth if us two were the only people there. If there were many other people around, and the majority of them said they didnt see the bird, then the "relative" truth is that I was imagining it all along. However, it is also possible that the majority of the people could be siding with my friend only because he is much better-looking than I am.

After 500 years, the story gets passed down to my great great...great grandchildren. Would each generation tell it like it is? No. they'd probably make a hero out of me or something, or I'd turn into a big bird and fly away, whatever. And my friend's great great grandchildren would make an evil drug lord out of me. And in the end the truth, whatever it really is or was, gets so distorted that nobody knows anything anymore and the real story becomes a fairytale. Unless there was a video camera that recorded the event or a piece of writing that described it, then there is no way to tell. And still, that would be only "relative" truth. But much less adulterated definitely.

That is why historians try to preserve history as much as possible. To keep as close to the truth as possible.
06-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Is truth what is believed to be true, or is it what is actually true even though it may never actually be known that it is true?

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Truth can only be relative as we are relative to the speed of light. I only worry about what I am doing. If you want to know the relative truth of today, check out this new religion. I just got ordained on the website, it's actually pretty cool. Basically anything goes!

http://www.themonastery.org/
07-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Maple_Syrup Wrote:
Shadrach Wrote:depends on what your talking about.

Theories are not constant. For example, take the structure of the atom. At first scientists theorized that the electrons of the atom are embedded inside it like raisins in a muffin. They found out they were wrong, so they theorized that the electrons orbit around the atom in a fixed orbital radius. And lately they discovered that there is not definite radius for the orbit of the electron around the atom; it moves in a wave form. So science keeps approaching the truth, but it can never reach the absolute truth, I think.

the difference is that science will correct itself to as new data comes in. the bible hasnt been updated in almost 2,000 years, it moves farther and farther from the "truth" as we discover new information about the universe.

there was a time when people thought the earth was built on "firmament" simply because the bible says so. the bible still says so but we know the truth now.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

-Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
God Rocks Wrote:Is truth what is believed to be true, or is it what is actually true even though it may never actually be known that it is true?

Well, I had intended the interpretation of truth to be open. However, I believe that if we cannot know something to be true, than it's truth is irrelevant. So, to me there is no difference. What is believed to be true is true.

It's hard to explain and even harder to defend, but I believe that there is one constant truth and that is undefinable, though I choose to call it love.

I believe we can constantly strive to know truth, but may never attain that knowledge.

So, as long as one is acting in a way that they think is true, than they are acting truly. Therefore, general or relative truth is constantly changing the same way we as people are constantly changing.

This is my primary issue with most organized religions, due to their unchanging nature. Oddly enough, the religion which is most well organized and would seemingly be the most stringent (and I personally have many issues with) is Catholicism...and yet they have built into their dogma and doctrine methods for changing.

...but I digress. I guess I am speaking of relative truth.

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/
09-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Nice discussion! Keep the information coming
Hope nothing is constant in this universe.
Was really excited with this thread and signed up on this forum.
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
The B'hai faith believes in on-going revelations. As we mature as a race, so do the revelations we receive from God.

God has one Covenant with humanity. But, no human language can fully express that Covenant. All our sacred scriptures are only imperfect translations of it. As we mature, God sends us updated covenants. Our mistake is in assuming the latest one is the last one.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)