Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Islam and Western Civilization
10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Islam and Western Civilization
[Dear members, the text below is from a paper I wrote, although brief, I hope it will generate discussion and activity. Please share your thoughts and comments. Regards, S.Waheed]

This discussion was deemed too long to keep in one thread, and as these subjects are quite important, We have decided to break it up, dividing it along the other threads. The subjects addressed are as follow:

[1] What is Islam? (post below)
[2] Violence in Religion.
[3] Politics and Religion.
[4] Qur'an and other Religions.
[5] Islam and Secularism.

http://islaminviewforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29
It has been said that "The Muslim groups which today threaten the West with terrorism, subversion and insurgency..seek to bring about a global totalitarian empire..fascist in the broad sociological sense." {ft.1}

Such views are not just the rantings of ignorant bigots, rather they are becoming views of the mainstream in the West. Television, movies, news commentators, politicians and even religious leaders have expressed these sort of views. This is by no means a paper of great detail or even depth, nonetheless we hope that our discussion here will simply be the beginning of dialogue and healthy debate.

Regards,

S.Waheed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2007, 08:40 PM
RE: Islam and Western Civilization
What is Islam?

Islam is an Arabic word which means "submission" to the will of God. It comes from the Arabic root salaam which means "peace." Muslim, another word derived from the root salaam, means "one who submits." These terms, although now seen as proper nouns or titles, are in fact descriptions of actions! Thus, with this information, it should come as no surprise that Muslims do not see Muhammad as the "founder of Islam" but rather as a prophet in a long line of prophets who all practiced Islam (submission to God).

The Qur'an gives the following instruction;

"Say: We believe in God, and in revelation given to us[i.e. Qur'an], that given to Abraham, Ishmael, Issac, Jacob and the Tribes. That given to Moses, Jesus, and that given to [other] Prophets from their Lord. We make do distinction between any of them and We are for him submissive[wa nahnu lahu muslimoon]."[ 2:136]

Muhammad is given as a normal human being, blessed with the revelation of the Qur'an over a 23 year period of his life, and as the Final Prophet to humanity.[see Qur'an 18:110, 18:1 and 33:40]
11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I agree that there are many people that are coming to see muslims as simply terrorists yet don't know anything about them. This is an good first post to help explain what islam is and I look forward to reading the rest of them.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Religion, as Islam teaches it at least, is a system which is set up from the Divine Source [i.e. God Almighty ] to give us guidance in how to live our lives in a setting of dignity, peace and of course God-consciousness. As a result, it rejects any attempts to divorce God or spirituality from life.

Regards,

S.Waheed
05-12-2008, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2008 10:49 AM by George.)
How does one divorce one self from life? From the moment we are born we become alive, we have no choices, but choices we learn.

I am alive. Therefore, life is within me. Animals are alive, so life is within them. Humans are alive, so life is within us. I become divorced from life when I die. For if you are dead, you are not alive to experinence the wonders of life.

Our paradise may already be here within us all, and we may all have no choice.

What is islam? Islam, is but a failed system, as are all current religions. Most are so complex they become bias towards themselves.

For instance, why is there faction between wings. Must the bird not fly true, for it to be true.

What is our destiny if we can not decide? Our destiny is our own too make.

Peace
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2008, 03:45 AM
Well, you have every right to feel as you do.

Peace,
S.Waheed
05-31-2010, 05:26 PM
my understanding of islam is it rules every aspect of your life, woman are like second class citizens who can not even go outside unless they are with a male relative. women have no rights. that they do preach peace until they have the upper hand in things then this all changes. the infidels ( anyone not of islams faith must submitt to their faith or die.. no ifs , ands or butts when invading countries & taking captives. this is their whole history.. war, conquer, convert(or die) for their captives.
05-31-2010, 11:41 PM
(11-01-2007 02:52 PM)God Rocks Wrote:  I agree that there are many people that are coming to see muslims as simply terrorists yet don't know anything about them. This is an good first post to help explain what islam is and I look forward to reading the rest of them.

Only ignorant people see them as such. I also thinks it's very ignorant to assume that every Western sees them as such (provided of course this is your view).. When these two piles of ignorance collide, you get a mess that can turn violent.. Hence, I don't hate anyone unless they give me a reason to (on a person to person basis). And this would be regardless if I find your religion bad or good..
06-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Our present Islamic society is enough to show us that the heat of faith has waned; that most men of religion have a stereotyped outlook on modern life; that the masses are ignorant and know practically nothing about their religion; that most youth have turned away from religion, first, because of their ignorance, or, second, because they are carried away by western currents. We also find public morality loose, selfishness prevailing, and the bond of unity broken.

4gb compact flash

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are Western Churches and Governments promoting hate? Greatest I am 16 2,181 04-29-2011 02:23 PM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)