Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Isn't Agnosticism really just lukewarm Atheism/Theism?
06-16-2017, 03:59 AM
RE: Isn't Agnosticism really just lukewarm Atheism/Theism?
And round and round we go...

You're a very interesting person. I'm sure we'll we will encounter (and tangle) with one another again on many topics here, but I'm done with this one for now.

Know that I support you 100%, whether you are atheist, theist, non-theist, non-theistic atheist, or big red balloon. What's inside the box is what matters, not the label on it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2017, 04:01 AM
Definition of atheist: "a person who lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.".

That's pretty clear isn't it? It's a lack of belief.

Atheists also lack belief in pixies and flying crocodiles - which is why it's kinda ridiculous that theists sometimes try to tell atheists that they "merely believe there is no god". They simply can't grasp the idea of "lack of belief". Wink

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it
06-16-2017, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2017 04:17 AM by PeterPants.)
Quote:What's inside the box is what matters, not the label on it.

Oh i think we are going to be friends. You just gave be a beautiful little spasm of bliss.

The whole reason ive gone on about this so hard is that i detest how labels can polerize things.

@Herm yes but people can use words hiwever they want really, as ling as they realize that we dont come along with the definition change... Using a differnt meaning for the word does not change our actual beliefs Tongue some seem to think it does, william lane craig is a master of using loose or poorly defined meanings to push a narative he wants to push, in case anyone wanted to see an example of such an error of logic.

If i want to use the word potato to mean toster. I can. There is nothing wrong with it unless my goal is to communicate with normal people. Hey, another example of how a 'should' comes from a fact about intentions.
'If i want to be clear, i should not say potato instead of toaster' Big Grin

~~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
If one believes in something, their belief is a clear sign they are convinced of the fact of whatever they believe.

"I believe God exists" = "I am convinced God exists" and then one may or may not elaborate by providing the evidence they consider to be sufficient to justify their belief. This describes the position of the theist quite well, I should think.

If one, on the other hand, one agrees that a god (or gods) exist, but they do not choose to worship one or more this still places them in the theist category- they simply choose not to 'play the game'.

But if one flatly denies the existence of a god (or gods) then this places them squarely in the atheist camp.

Of course, as always here, your mileage may vary Big Grin

When someone asks "What would Jesus do?" remind them that flipping tables and chasing people with a whip is entirely possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  agnosticism and path hioni 4 700 01-18-2017 09:27 PM
Last Post: osgart
  Is agnosticism and atheism really the only way to be logical? Robert 54 9,091 01-13-2017 05:14 PM
Last Post: Herminator

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)