Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jeremiah 10v11
07-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Jeremiah 10v11
Hi all, am presently reading through Jeremiah. Can anyone shed light on why chapter 10, v 11 is in brackets? reading New Life version.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2013, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 09:56 AM by Yefet.)
RE: Jeremiah 10v11
I am not familiar with new life version but in Hebrew it changes into Aramaic at that point. He was explaining how to reply to the Kasdim in their own language
07-30-2013, 03:54 AM
(07-28-2013 09:54 AM)Yefet Wrote:  I am not familiar with new life version but in Hebrew it changes into Aramaic at that point. He was explaining how to reply to the Kasdim in their own language

Hi 'Yefet'. Very sorry but please forgive my ignorance. I thought that the original scripts would have been in Hebrew only. Thanks for enlightening me on this subject. However would this not have made it difficult for the reader of the day, because they would have had to know at least two languages. Were any other languages used in the Testaments?
When were they transcribed into Greek? Or Latin? I know that it wasn't until the 16th Century (or there-abouts) that the Bible was transcribed into modern European languages (and the printer subsequently denounced and burnt at the stake!) Knowledge is power as they say. And if the Bible is only understood by a few, they can keep the masses ignorant.
07-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Well first of the Tanakh is not a testament it is the, Torah (books of Moshe), Nevim (prophets), and ketuvim (writtings). The orginal script is mostly hebrew and there are a few portions which are written in Aramaic. The Aramaic language was very similar to hebrew in sounds and letters used. The Tanakh was translated as a whole into Greek between the 3rd and 1st century BCE in whats called the Septuagint.

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
07-30-2013, 09:30 PM
brackets usually indicate that something was added that was not in the original text. Some bibles will say, this verse was not included in a certain versions, perhaps because it was a repetition of a previous verse.

I would agree to go to the earliest source of the manuscript, the Tanakh. In some Bibles you will see, "this is one interpretation of a difficult to understand verse. Some Hebrew words mean multiple things or do not translated into English at all. In such cases, you are best served to read all the verses before and after to get the true setting and meaning of a passage.

The bible is also purposefully ambiguous in parts, so it seems contradictory, but if you read in context and understand what the verse was about and the time frame and culture in which it was written, you will understand the true meaning of it.

Brackets can mean doubt as to the authenticity of the verse. In writing, we use brackets to indicate the author has inserted the text and not the person the text/words/statement were quoted from... in otherwords, we added something that was not there originally, so that may be the case... in any event, go to the earliest source and most authentic source rather than trust some scholar's judgement as to whether the verse has merit or not.
07-30-2013, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 10:21 PM by Yefet.)
You may be right about that sorell because the nasb changed the meaning of this verse and the nlv may have changed it from that , only assuming because I have not read it and to lazy to look it up That verse is the only verse in Aramaic and not in Hebrew, to us it was fairly simple to understand but I am not sure what it reads like in English
There have been many who claim that that verse was a late addition but as I said we, Yidden have always maintained it was because he wanted to reply to the Kasdim in their own language, which is as valid as anything else I suppose, I have heard several different reasons why the Aramaic
But as far as brackets you hit the nail on the head I think
05-23-2014, 01:10 AM
(07-28-2013 07:17 AM)Nasrani29 Wrote:  Hi all, am presently reading through Jeremiah. Can anyone shed light on why chapter 10, v 11 is in brackets? reading New Life version.
Thanks
Jeremiah 10:11 is saying -
"10 But the Lord is the true God;
he is the living God, the eternal King.
When he is angry, the earth trembles;
the nations cannot endure his wrath.

11 “Tell them this: ‘These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.’”[a]

12 But God made the earth by his power;
he founded the world by his wisdom
and stretched out the heavens by his understanding."

Jeremiah10:11 means, the government/nations/wicked ones, have set themselves up as Gods even though they did not make the earth nor heaven. So they will fall further, like in as Adam and Eve fell from Heaven. It does not mean they will perish, it means they will go through a hard life in their next life and then they will rise up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jeremiah 25 v9 & 12 Nasrani29 6 1,056 09-22-2013 07:42 AM
Last Post: Nasrani29
  Jeremiah 25 v15, 19-26 Nasrani29 6 1,067 08-04-2013 02:06 AM
Last Post: Nasrani29
  JEREMIAH 8:8? The Real Milk Man 3 566 11-13-2012 04:02 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)