Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jeremiah 25 v15, 19-26
08-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Jeremiah 25 v15, 19-26
Quote:
"Here is a wine cup filled with my anger. Take it to all the nations to whom I send you, and make them drink from it. 16. When they drink from it, they will stagger and go out of their minds because of the war I am sending against them."

19-26 'Here is a list of all the others who had to drink from the cup:

all the people who cut their hair short'

I have often been told that the Bible is as relevant today as when the writers wrote these words. So what am I to understand here? That we must not cut our hair short? Why were people (in the day) who cut their hair short targeted by God?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 02:01 AM
RE: Jeremiah 25 v15, 19-26
I have no idea, but I know Nazarites were required to cut off all their hair after they finished their vows, and that God asked Ezekiel to shave his hair too, and this isn't mentioning the fact that in Jewish custom (not just Jewish custom either), when people felt grief, it was customary to rip out your hair, and your garments, put ash over your head, and wear sackcloth, and then get mourning. Job, for example, ripped out his hair.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
08-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Mainstream Christians don't see themselves as subject to rabbinical law as it is fulfilled by having faith in Christ which is the "New Covenant"
08-03-2013, 08:20 AM
(08-03-2013 04:29 AM)Zephyr Wrote:  Mainstream Christians don't see themselves as subject to rabbinical law as it is fulfilled by having faith in Christ which is the "New Covenant"

Thanks Zephyr, but as a young Christian growing up, I was told that the whole Bible was relevant to living a life under God. It's only in these later years that I'm beginning to read more and more of the Old Testament, and finding it hard to read and understand.
08-03-2013, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 09:33 AM by Zephyr.)
I find the Old Testament on a whole quite tedious, although it has its moments.

Regardless, the ins and outs of Jewish Law were done away with. This comes up in the NT, in Acts (I believe) Jewish Christians were demanding circumcision for Gentile converts (as well as the adherence to the rest of Jewish Law) but this was seen as unnecessary by the apostles, because all had been made clean by Christ anyway, making circumcision and the rest of rabbinical law (to make one clean before God) superfluous.

At least that's how I've always understood mainstream Christian understanding here.
08-03-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 12:52 PM by Yefet.)
Standard Jewish theology
The cup of the wine of anger was directed at the the Jews and other surrounding nations, as a prophecy of the coming world war. because Nebuchadnezzar was planning to take the whole middle east he wanted this prophecy heard in other nations as well By drinking the wine of anger or hearing this prophesy they will release the power of Hashems words, if you will and aid in fighting Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar was coming down so they called it a whirlwind of sorts and that he would not only destroy Jerusalem, the destruction of the Temple and exile Jews and so fourth but would throw the entire Middle East into it as well the Promised Land from river to river, the nations to its east and including present day Turkey , Iraq and Iran
But you have to understand why cup of the wine is so important in Judaism and how we feel and use it day, the wine symbolizes freedom, the cup represents many things like our four exiles including the one we are in today it is a symbolic gesture when we drink we are releasing freedom from the confines of exile
But A Chassidic Jew thinks of the cup as representing kelipah or our evil inclinations so it represents by drinking the wine, freedom, or we are liberating ourselves from Egotistic intention's or Egypt, the departure from Egypt represents to us the ability to free ourselves from the Ego, we do a lot of freeing some nights
The verse was about those who cut their hair was referring to the Arab's in that they used to cut their hair and beard, some times, to Jew anyway in extreme ways like cutting behind the ears or along the temple which was cutting the corners which Jews did not do, it was saying to even tell them the prophesy in other words even the small bands of people that live in the middle east
08-04-2013, 02:06 AM
(08-03-2013 12:36 PM)Yefet Wrote:  Standard Jewish theology
The cup of the wine of anger was directed at the the Jews and other surrounding nations, as a prophecy of the coming world war. because Nebuchadnezzar was planning to take the whole middle east he wanted this prophecy heard in other nations as well By drinking the wine of anger or hearing this prophesy they will release the power of Hashems words, if you will and aid in fighting Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar was coming down so they called it a whirlwind of sorts and that he would not only destroy Jerusalem, the destruction of the Temple and exile Jews and so fourth but would throw the entire Middle East into it as well the Promised Land from river to river, the nations to its east and including present day Turkey , Iraq and Iran
But you have to understand why cup of the wine is so important in Judaism and how we feel and use it day, the wine symbolizes freedom, the cup represents many things like our four exiles including the one we are in today it is a symbolic gesture when we drink we are releasing freedom from the confines of exile
But A Chassidic Jew thinks of the cup as representing kelipah or our evil inclinations so it represents by drinking the wine, freedom, or we are liberating ourselves from Egotistic intention's or Egypt, the departure from Egypt represents to us the ability to free ourselves from the Ego, we do a lot of freeing some nights
The verse was about those who cut their hair was referring to the Arab's in that they used to cut their hair and beard, some times, to Jew anyway in extreme ways like cutting behind the ears or along the temple which was cutting the corners which Jews did not do, it was saying to even tell them the prophesy in other words even the small bands of people that live in the middle east

Thanks Yefet. Very sorry to be ignorant, but I don't know too much about Judaism. Other than you appear to have been persecuted these last 3,000 years or more.
I am presently (and have been for some time) eager for knowledge. I want to 'know' about God and what He expects of me.
Although brought up a Christian. I have developed my religious belief to regard God the Creator of all things as THE ONLY GOD. Jesus 'a' son of God but NOT THE SON OF GOD. As we are all children of God.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jeremiah 10v11 Nasrani29 6 1,103 05-23-2014 01:10 AM
Last Post: Beena Jain
  Jeremiah 25 v9 & 12 Nasrani29 6 1,084 09-22-2013 07:42 AM
Last Post: Nasrani29
  JEREMIAH 8:8? The Real Milk Man 3 580 11-13-2012 04:02 PM
Last Post: URAVIP2ME

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)