Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Judge Changes baby's Name
08-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Judge Changes baby's Name
Saw this article and it disturbed me a little. What are your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23665106

"Torah's food for my brain let it rain til I drown, thunder, let the blessings come down!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Judge Changes baby's Name
I'd like to know how this ended up in front of a judge in the first place. In my opinion it's a ridiculous name to give your child but I don't see that it's any business of that judge or any other. I can understand why people aren't allowed to give their children numbers for names, but if the chosen name is an actual word that isn't completely insane because it's profanity or some sort of slur, then I think the mother should be able to name the baby pretty much anything.
08-12-2013, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 09:06 AM by shiverleaf15.)
Quote:"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge added.

And this happened in Tennessee?

Not surprised.

"Messiah" isn't even close to sounding blasphemous. I can't believe the judge would do this. It just means "the anointed", I can't see how calling someone "Messiah" is wrong.

Especially when I have known Greek people named "Christos" (Greek Orthodox). How come the Greek Orthodox don't have a problem naming their kids "Messiah" but some random Christian judge from Tennessee does?

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
This reminds me of a girl I knew (who was not particularly beautiful, a literal [censored], and none too intelligent at all,) who was named Athena. Made my gut wrench everytime I saw her.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Omg now we live in a Capitalist Police State,
LoL
Run for the hills!

I think regardless of how stupid the name is a parent should be allowed to name their child any thing but a swear word.

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
08-12-2013, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 11:12 AM by Painkiller.)

Non-British people may benefit from knowing that he became famous as one of the writers and actors of Peep Show, which is why he's talking about it here.
08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
There was some boy named a bunch of gibberish (letters and numbers) by his parents (they said it was even pronounced "Albin") once. See, in cases like that, I think it's fine to have the child's name changed by a judge.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Anyway, stating the fairly obvious:

Do I think a Judge should have been able to enforce this change? No.
If I knew the couple would I have strongly advised them against calling their kid Messiah, and breathed a secret sigh of relief when they couldn't? Yes.
08-12-2013, 01:09 PM
""The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," she said."

The judge is wrong. The word is not a title but a description of anyone who has been anointed with a particularly formulated oil. It referred biblically to kings and high priests, not just to one person in the gospels. According to the internet, "dozens" of people have the first name "Pharaoh." Now, that is a title and there was only ever one of these at a time.
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Would it not then be considered a "title" for people who are anointed with a particular oil?

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  China rescuers save baby lodged in sewage pipe KAYSER 5 679 05-28-2013 08:57 PM
Last Post: rocketboy9000

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)