Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kings (the books, and the TV show)
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Kings (the books, and the TV show)
So, I don't know about the rest of you, but I've gotten absolutely hooked on Kings. For those who don't know, Kings is an alternate modern-day retelling of the story of King Saul and David. It takes place in modern times, but rather than democracies there are still absolute monarchies. King Silas (the King Saul figure) united the people together, but now his reign has started to decline. Reverend Samuels believes god has left him and chosen another. And on the war front with Gath, a soldier named David takes down a Goliath tank single handed and becomes a hero.

The parallels are obvious, but what interests me most is the way this world differs from our own. One of the neatest things, in my opinion, is that in this world there is really no question of some sort of divine guidance. Signs, like butterflies landing in a crown, or a pillar of smoke blowing against the wind, happen infrequently, but they do happen. Disease is cured not by science, but by a pact with a dark (possibly demonic?) figure who appears and vanishes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this play out, and I was wondering if anyone else is watching, and what insights they've seen in the series. One thing interesting to me is that until the latest episode, David has always protested that despite being anointed with a crown of butterflies, and being a rising star, he has no designs on the throne. But now, in this episode, he gains those designs, presumably because he no longer finds the king morally worthy of his loyalty.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2009, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2009 11:14 AM by Raphael.)
RE: Kings (the books, and the TV show)
(07-12-2009 10:54 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  So, I don't know about the rest of you, but I've gotten absolutely hooked on Kings.

not me.

I turn off the RGB programming and the RADIO daze and bathe in my own glory.

hey bub ... there is room for plenty in the tub.

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Seven Kings Key to the bible voice_from_the_ark 20 2,056 07-28-2010 10:50 PM
Last Post: voice_from_the_ark
  Show Business Skippy the Punk 15 3,125 10-17-2009 12:29 PM
Last Post: Skippy the Punk

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)