Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Last time I checked...
11-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Last time I checked...
Last time I checked, mormonism isn't considered a form of christianity. It is a cult. Am I right or wrong? I was just wondering because mormonism is put in the christian subsection of these forums.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
RE: Last time I checked...
JonathanT Wrote:Last time I checked, mormonism isn't considered a form of christianity. It is a cult. Am I right or wrong? I was just wondering because mormonism is put in the christian subsection of these forums.

It was put there by request. I thought Mormons still believed Christ was/is their savior, which is kinda the defining trait of Christianity, isn't it?

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Where are you getting your information from? If you're going to call Mormonism (as a whole) a cult, you might as well classify all religions cults ... because in the truest sense, they all are. If you're calling the practices of certain sects of Mormonism cults, then that might be a little different, because not only do they practice things that the LDS don't practice, but also break several state and federal laws.

While I'm not 'up' on the Mormon faith, I think that the basic principle is that they follow the teachings of their prophet. So do many other religions.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Alison Wrote:Where are you getting your information from? If you're going to call Mormonism (as a whole) a cult, you might as well classify all religions cults ... because in the truest sense, they all are. If you're calling the practices of certain sects of Mormonism cults, then that might be a little different, because not only do they practice things that the LDS don't practice, but also break several state and federal laws.

While I'm not 'up' on the Mormon faith, I think that the basic principle is that they follow the teachings of their prophet. So do many other religions.

Ooooo...kinda like Scientologists? Big Grin

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
11-24-2008, 05:33 PM
damian.hoffman Wrote:Ooooo...kinda like Scientologists? Big Grin

Tongue ... among others! ... but I was thinking, specifically, of the compound sect with all the kids and wives. I don't necessarily agree with the way they were all yanked away from their parents, nor do I agree with the locals being nosie-rosies and gunning for an excuse to barge in just to nose around on the off chance that the convoluted phone call was real. LDS all over the country were cringing ... because people thought that that particular sect was what Mormonism was all about.

I happen to have been raised as a Baptist ... Southern Baptist at that ... and yeah ... remember the roaring 80's with their mega-televangelists all over the place? And their hottie secretaries ... and the submissive women and all that? Please ... every time a wing nut garners attention, I shudder. There are always several in a crowd that take things to the nth degree and make it fit what they want, with just enough of the original doctrine sprinkled in to woo and court the ones that ... well ... I'll stop there. My soap box is squeaking!! Smile

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
It is listed under Christianity by request. Mormons consider themselves Christians, though most other forms of Christianity don't recognize Mormons as Christian.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2009, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2009 04:01 PM by twenty-two20.)
Although Mormons think they are Christian, they are not considered to be Christian by most people outside their church. Mormons have a whole other set of holy books, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and I think others. They also have a whole bunch of other beliefs that are not part of Christianity, like baptizing dead people, baptizing ancestors. They have as thier chief prophet a man named Joseph Smith who they think was told to write these new books by God. He's a bit like a 19th century Moses figure. He was also into having multiple wives, which maybe completes the parallel.

They also have a belief that humans can become gods, and that God was originally just a man (Jesus has a different history for them). They don't see the trinity as a unity, but as seperate beings. They have some different ideas about evil and the devil also: that Jesus' spiritual brother was Lucifer So, I would not tend to see this group as Christian. I would tend to see them as having a connection to Christianity, much as some "new thought" and meditative groups might have.
01-25-2009, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2009 06:14 AM by Pilgrim.)
(01-24-2009 03:58 PM)twenty-two20 Wrote:  Although Mormons think they are Christian, they are not considered to be Christian by most people outside their church. Mormons have a whole other set of holy books, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and I think others. They also have a whole bunch of other beliefs that are not part of Christianity, like baptizing dead people, baptizing ancestors. They have as thier chief prophet a man named Joseph Smith who they think was told to write these new books by God. He's a bit like a 19th century Moses figure. He was also into having multiple wives, which maybe completes the parallel.

They also have a belief that humans can become gods, and that God was originally just a man (Jesus has a different history for them). They don't see the trinity as a unity, but as seperate beings. They have some different ideas about evil and the devil also: that Jesus' spiritual brother was Lucifer So, I would not tend to see this group as Christian. I would tend to see them as having a connection to Christianity, much as some "new thought" and meditative groups might have.
Absolutely, they are a cult group as are the Jehovas Witnesses & The Seventh Day Adventists both of whom were formed out of the Millerite movement when it collapsed. Their doctrines deny the prima facae held core beliefs of Christianity and should not be listed here. Give them a separate catagory certainly but please do not pass them off as Christian even by special request. I have to say that I find their inclusion here objectionable. Perhaps a new box on the overall forum for Religions of the World could be created titled Others?

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
03-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Really....the Seventh Day Adventists? Why are they in the same catagory as a Mormon and a JW? I can see why a Mormon and a JW is but why a Seventh Day Adventist?
03-30-2009, 04:17 AM
(03-30-2009 01:56 AM)Paul.A Wrote:  Really....the Seventh Day Adventists? Why are they in the same catagory as a Mormon and a JW? I can see why a Mormon and a JW is but why a Seventh Day Adventist?
Because they teach & preach the doctrine of investigative judgement which denies the omniscience of God & stands upon the pillars of their other heresies i.e that Christians are just crimminals on probation which denies the efficacy of Christ's blood & atoning sacrifice for sin once & for all. This together with an insistance that the Law must be kept or a man is not saved. One sinod someplace has recognised them as Christians but their continued teaching & profligation of these heresies demonstrates that they are not. Wolves in sheep's clothing would be a better description.

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)