Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lent
02-22-2009, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2009 04:10 PM by Annolennar.)
Lent
Lent is just around the corner! It starts this Wednesday for Western Riters like myself, and tomorrow (Monday) for Eastern Riters.

Wikipedia Wrote:Lent, in some Christian denominations, is the forty-day-long liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where according to the Bible he endured temptation by Satan. Different churches calculate the forty days differently.

The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to sacrifice for my Lenten fast.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2009, 04:27 PM
RE: Lent
(02-22-2009 04:07 PM)Annolennar Wrote:  Lent is just around the corner! It starts this Wednesday for Western Riters like myself, and tomorrow (Monday) for Eastern Riters.

Wikipedia Wrote:Lent, in some Christian denominations, is the forty-day-long liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where according to the Bible he endured temptation by Satan. Different churches calculate the forty days differently.

The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to sacrifice for my Lenten fast.
TV? Wink

"Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." Don Francisco.
02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Eek! Not the precious! Big Grin

Heh, I've been thinking fast food, as its become a bad habit lately. TV would be a good one too.

If you should see evident sins or defects, draw out of those thorns the rose; perceiving, moreover, that such apparent sinners may frequently have a good intention, for no one can judge the secrets of the heart of man.
02-23-2009, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 03:45 AM by Pilgrim.)
(02-22-2009 04:30 PM)Annolennar Wrote:  Eek! Not the precious! Big Grin

Heh, I've been thinking fast food, as its become a bad habit lately. TV would be a good one too.
Father Ted Quilly of Craggy Island Eire recommends Alcohol, Cigarettes/Smoking and Scateboarding. Cool So leave the weed alone. Wink

02-23-2009, 05:11 AM
(02-23-2009 03:44 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:  
(02-22-2009 04:30 PM)Annolennar Wrote:  Eek! Not the precious! Big Grin

Father Ted Quilly of Craggy Island Eire recommends Alcohol, Cigarettes/Smoking and Scateboarding. Cool So leave the weed alone. Wink

Lol, I actually don't do any of those things. Angelic

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I GOT IT!!! Pancakes! Don't eat any pancakes or pancake type products like waffles over Lent! Am I a genius!? or am I a genius!!? Big Grin

02-24-2009, 05:27 AM
I give up whoring for Lent every year.

Of course, I'm rather faithful to my beloved, so it's not much of a sacrifice, but it's a great conversation starter.
02-25-2009, 08:52 AM
(02-24-2009 05:27 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  I give up whoring for Lent every year.

Of course, I'm rather faithful to my beloved, so it's not much of a sacrifice, but it's a great conversation starter.
*Bowled over laughin'*

02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, as of today, Lent has begun, so I suppose I'll completely cut pancakes and whoring out of my life.

03-22-2009, 02:18 AM
do all Catholics do lent? Also, what is it that you are preparing for? (as the wikipedia statement proffesed)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lent Radical 3 913 02-17-2015 05:56 PM
Last Post: EricWhitfield
  Question on Lent Rivers 3 802 04-12-2011 11:23 AM
Last Post: whirlwind

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)