Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Let's clear up some nasty misconceptions
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Let's clear up some nasty misconceptions
From another thread in the forum...

Quote:'vodou / voodoo' is an african religion based on the error of evil, they believe in things which don't exist they worship evil, demons, black magic, witchcraft, cruelty etc. They are in delusion and are following false man made beliefs. Why do you support this?

Well, isn't that just ducky, a whole lot of misconceptions, all in two sentences!

First things first:

Quote:vodou / voodoo' is an african religion based on the error of evil

Vodou recognises that there is evil in the world. They are taught to despise it, and that it is not how God would want the world to be, so they are taught to fight against evil, where and when they can.

Quote:they worship evil

Incorrect. Vodou is monotheistic. The only thing being worshiped is Bon Dieu -- Good God.

Quote:demons

See above.

Quote:black magic

This would refer to Bokors, who are widely shunned in Vodou communities.

Quote:witchcraft

Some Vodouisants practice a form of magic called rootwork, conjure, or Hoodoo. However, these are a very small minority.

Quote:cruelty

The heart of Vodou is actually about freedom from opression, and about hope. It's not Vodou that scripturally supports slavery, Haitian Vodou developed out of Vodun through slaves. Cruelty is the last thing taught, in fact, Charity is seen as the most important virtue.

Quote:They are in delusion and are following false man made beliefs.

Prove it. Burden of proof rests with you. It is harder to prove Vodou is delusional than it is Christianity.

Quote:Why do you support this?

Because Christianity came a hair's breadth away from killing me, literally. Vodou and it's adherents, back when I thought it was an evil, devil worshiping, delusional religion, saved my life and pulled me from the loathsome pit I was in.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
RE: Let's clear up some nasty misconceptions
Isn't Voudooism sometimes used as a supplement to other monotheistic religions?
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
(01-19-2010 10:10 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Isn't Voudooism sometimes used as a supplement to other monotheistic religions?

It's not a supplement. Haitian Vodou is what is called forced syncretic. Most of Haiti was forcibly converted to Catholicism, and thus their worship had to be hidden behind Catholicism, out of fear for their lives. The only way they had to practice their faith was to use the saints and ceremonies as faces for the lwa.

Part of the problem with forced conversion is that it just didn't work and Vodou and similar religions grow out of it.

There are actually record in both Haiti and the US of slaves being forcibly held down to accept the sacrament, and then later, as the syncretism became more common, as they found ways to express their true faith, baptism became synonymous with the lave tet ceremony, and there are records of slaves being baptized four or more times.

Catholicism became evil, but people learned how to worship in their hearts through the forced religion.

At this point, Haitian Vodou is all but impossible to divorce from Catholicism. There are some groups who try, but...it doesn't work.

01-19-2010, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2010 10:30 PM by Holy Babylon.)
Hmmm, interesting. So if Voudouism came from Africa, then there were Monotheistic religions other than Christianity and Islam in Africa prior to Colonialism?
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
(01-19-2010 10:29 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Hmmm, interesting. So if Voudouism came from Africa, then there were Monotheistic religions other than Christianity and Islam in Africa prior to Colonialism?

It's just Vodou, not Vodouism, but yes.

Vodun in Benin is very different from Vodou in Haiti because there are no Catholic bits, but it is monotheistic, and has been for about...6,000 years or so. There are other branches of the same mythology that are polytheistic, but their generally not considered Vodun because the god concept is so different.

01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Oh wow, I did not know that, I thought that the beginnings of Monotheism were in Persia by Zoroaster.
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
(01-20-2010 02:15 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Oh wow, I did not know that, I thought that the beginnings of Monotheism were in Persia by Zoroaster.

The dates for Zoroaster vary greatly, unfortunately. The dates vary from 17th-10th century BCE, with the historically accepted date being 330 AD, so it's very hard to date it.

Generally, Atenism is considered the "first" monotheism, since we have actual concrete dates, while historians just go all wibbly-hands and say Zoraster is 'somewhere in there.'

01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Atenism was really monolatrianism though, from everything I've read. Akhenaten never denied the existence of Ra and the gods, he simply suppressed their worship in favor of Aten.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
(01-21-2010 01:12 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Atenism was really monolatrianism though, from everything I've read. Akhenaten never denied the existence of Ra and the gods, he simply suppressed their worship in favor of Aten.

Well, there is some debate. It was more monolatrianism in some areas, but at lest in Avaris, suggestion of the existence of other gods was outlawed, according to one stele.

01-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, I never heard that. Guess I need to look at it again (I really like Akhenaten. Fascinating guy.)

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)