Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Let's revive the Golden Rule
07-20-2010, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 12:24 PM by Raphael.)
Let's revive the Golden Rule
these videos discuss the GOLDEN RULE, COMPASSION and CHARITY.

http://www.ted.com/talks/karen_armstrong..._rule.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/karen_armstrong...ssion.html

wow this is the first thread that highlights the GOLDEN RULE on this forum?
too funny and very sad

I am not surprised that the flocks of IGNORANT sheeple and seegullibles on this forum have yet to highlight the GOLDEN RULE.

rather pathetic that RaphaHELL is the one that wants to discuss this GOLDEN RULE found the world over, and the I-AM-holier-than-thou plebes on this forum defending their nonsense most of the time, have yet to start a thread about the GOLDEN RULE? Sad

what is the matter with you folks?

namaste

NATURE cannot be HIDDEN only VEILeD with NARRATIVES that defy NATURE

CodeX4 and the Reconciliation of Science and Religion
http://kachina2012.wordpress.com/about/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2010, 12:34 AM
RE: Let's revive the Golden Rule
The golden rule does not exist in Vodou, so I would have no reason to discuss it, unless someone brought it up or asked about it's moral implications.

Pawol anpil pa leve le mo
Lavi m nan men Bondye o sen
07-21-2010, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010 06:25 AM by Raphael.)
(07-21-2010 12:34 AM)Clementine Wrote:  The golden rule does not exist in Vodou, so I would have no reason to discuss it, unless someone brought it up or asked about it's moral implications.

do you disagree with any of the following?

Quote:Haitian Vodou or Vaudou (French pronunciation: [vodu], usually Voodoo in English) is a syncretic[1] religion that originates in the Caribbean country of Haiti. It is based upon a merging of the beliefs and practices of West African peoples (mainly the Fon and Ewe; see West African Vodun), with Arawakian religious beliefs, and Roman Catholic Christianity. Vodou was created by African slaves who were brought to Haiti in the 16th century and still followed their traditional African beliefs, but were forced to convert to the religion of their slavers.[2]

duh that is false dearie.
your GOLDEN RULE has been veiled?
too bad.

maybe it is time the herd of voodou sheeple developed a GOLDEN RULE or adopted the one that is attached to the Catholic Church.
duh

what is the matter with your IGNORANT belief system dearie...?

NO GOLDEN RULE

that really sucks
IMHO

cya Haitii Waving Goodbye
who really cares about ewe, you and u anymore?
If you are telling me Haitians have NO GOLDEN RULE, my respect for that nation just diminished and they deserve whatever is coming their way.
so says the GOLDEN RULE...

MAYBE if this ignorant CULT had a GOLDEN RULE, they would not suffer the way they do?

Vodou is based on beliefs from Africa mixed with Catholic nonsense, add other crap handed down through the ages....peel back all the rhetoric of your belief dearie and maybe under all that hocus pocus and rituals slaughtering fowl, you might just find a GOLDEN RULE?

No wonder the vodou sheeple have no GOLDEN RULE.
No more playing with your dolls eh?

have a nice day sticking your pins and needles in an effigy of me.
want a picture?
ewe are wasting your time though, my black magic is more powerful than yours. Cool

mesatan
mesanta
namaste

07-21-2010, 05:51 AM
(07-21-2010 12:34 AM)Clementine Wrote:  The golden rule does not exist in Vodou, so I would have no reason to discuss it, unless someone brought it up or asked about it's moral implications.
That's probably for the best, the Golden Rule is full of interpretational problems. For example, the way in which Christians treat homosexuals could be seen as following the Golden Rule, the Christian reasons that if they were gay they'd want someone to come along and teach them the error of their ways and show them the path to Christ, so that's how they treat homosexuals, love the sinner but hate the sin BS.
Or the other more humourous interpretation I heard is that a sadist is just a masochist following the golden rule. Tongue

Its better to have no rule at all, and to just treat others with compassion and respect, IMO anyway.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.
07-21-2010, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010 06:31 AM by Raphael.)
GOLDEN RULE rejects
(07-21-2010 05:51 AM)KC Carter Wrote:  That's probably for the best, the Golden Rule is full of interpretational problems.

yes
so why don't you share your problematic interpretation with us KC?

here it is.

(07-21-2010 05:51 AM)KC Carter Wrote:  For example, the way in which Christians treat homosexuals could be seen as following the Golden Rule, the Christian reasons that if they were gay they'd want someone to come along and teach them the error of their ways and show them the path to Christ, so that's how they treat homosexuals, love the sinner but hate the sin BS.
Or the other more humourous interpretation I heard is that a sadist is just a masochist following the golden rule. Tongue

duh dude
stop being an IGNORANT human who spews nonsense.
It is OBVIOUS by your response that ewe are up to your ole' tricks again.
IGNORANT folks IGNORE the info I post in the OP and then they spew nonsense?
go back and watch the videos dude.
AGAIN and AGAIN till ewe, you and u GET IT!!!!!

I am not surprised that IGNORANT KC sided with the Haitians playing with the dolls barbie and ken.

And KC why did your mind and heart default to an example concerning homosexuals and S&M?
eh?
geesh KC, mesatan, but I suspect ewe have a dungeon set up in your basement? Tongue

(07-21-2010 05:51 AM)KC Carter Wrote:  Its better to have no rule at all, and to just treat others with compassion and respect, IMO anyway.

duh dude OBVIOUSLY EWE did not watch the videos of the woman who won $100,000 for her 'WISH' that I posted in the OP?
duh she mentions COMPASSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she has started a GOLDEN RULE movement called the CHARTER FOR COMPASSION, that others with a developed BRAIN and HEART recognize as GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but duh KC and the vodou mistress think and feel otherwise, about GOLDEN RULES found the world over?
Not necessary for some folks.
Some folks do not need heed golden rules?

Is this how it all begins?
Is this how the fall of man began from the golden age?
Folks like the IGNORANT KC and the vodou CULT members who see no need for a golden rule?
MAYBE these folks are evidence of where HUMANITY should NOT allow their minds and heARTS to stray?

Actually in the video Karen Armstrong highlights the fact that the GOLDEN RULE has a positive and negative aspect to it!!!!!!!!!

duh in effect the GOLDEN RULE is comprised of two ideas lost on the herd of sheeple who log onto threads, ignore the OP, and blurt what happens to be on their IGNORANT minds at the time?
eh KC?

I can guarantee neither of the IGNORANT folks who have identified themselves as GOLDEN RULE rejects will ever win $100,000 for their pathetic little wishes? Tongue

folks who ignore GOLDEN rules end up behind IRON bars, LITERALLY or FIGURATIVELY or both. Angel

namaste

07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:maybe it is time the herd of voodou sheeple developed a GOLDEN RULE or adopted the one that is attached to the Catholic Church.
duh

The golden rule is a selfish, self-centered, unrealistic, morally self-righteous rule that does not work between cultures.

You don't have the right to assume how someone would want to be treated. If I didn't want children, it would be wrong for me to assume others shared this belief and to go around sterilizing people. The golden rule, on a basic level, destroys autonomy and projects the desires of the rule onto an innocent victim.

Your sample used a brilliant example. Slave owners didn't want to go to hell, so in order to "do what was best" for their slaves, they forcibly converted them against their will. That is what the Golden Rule creates, Rapheal, and in this case, it is YOU touting an unfair, "sheeple" ideology, without regard for the serious consequences in the hands of flawed human beings.

And your example of spewing toxic bile and misconceptions just proves my point. Pins and effigies have nothing to do with Vodou, and I do not practice any sort of "magic" or "hocus pocus" perhaps if you actually studied something other than domineering western and near eastern civilizations, perhaps you could stop talking trash about things you don't understand.

Hoodoo =/= Vodou, and because Vodou has been scarred, damaged and had their people touting their golden rule, we don't have one. The golden rule has nearly destroyed Haiti over and over and over. So take your condemnations to a library and read a little bit, before you assume.

07-21-2010, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010 02:03 PM by Stereophonic.)
(07-21-2010 01:23 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...The golden rule is a selfish, self-centered, unrealistic, morally self-righteous rule that does not work between cultures.

You are assuming a particular interpretation of the Golden Rule here--an interpretation that any educated Christians would reject.

(07-21-2010 01:23 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...You don't have the right to assume how someone would want to be treated. If I didn't want children, it would be wrong for me to assume others shared this belief and to go around sterilizing people. The golden rule, on a basic level, destroys autonomy and projects the desires of the rule onto an innocent victim.

The Golden Rule does not say that you should assume that you already know how people would want to be treated, and then force your own assumptions on them. That is completely contrary to the spirit of the Golden Rule.

You are simply adding your interpretation to the rule here, and then criticizing the rule because of your ridiculous addition.

(07-21-2010 01:23 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...Slave owners didn't want to go to hell, so in order to "do what was best" for their slaves, they forcibly converted them against their will. That is what the Golden Rule creates...

Ditto. As usual, your biblical interpretations depend on a "hermeneutic of hate." With that sort of approach to interpretation, any text can be made to seem monstrous.

(07-21-2010 01:23 PM)Clementine Wrote:  ...The golden rule has nearly destroyed Haiti over and over and over...

Sheer nonsense.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
07-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:You are assuming a particular interpretation of the Golden Rule here--an interpretation that any educated Christians would reject.

I'm not picking on Christians or anyone here. I'm saying yes, the golden rule might be good in essence, but in the hands of flawed HUMANS, as and will go bad over and over and over.

Quote:The Golden Rule does not say that you should assume that you already know how people would want to be treated, and then force your own assumptions on them. That is completely contrary to the spirit of the Golden Rule.

You are simply adding your interpretation to the rule here, and then criticizing the rule because of your ridiculous addition.

I'm not "adding" or interpreting anything. Golden rule: Treat others the way I want to be treated, correct? Or are we using a different version that I don't know of?

Quote:Ditto. As usual, your biblical interpretations depend on a "hermeneutic of hate." With that sort of approach to interpretation, any text can be made to seem monstrous.

I know. Hence my blame lies on the HUMANS and not the "rule" itself.

Quote:Sheer nonsense.

Really? How much Haitian history have you studied? The wipeout of the Arawaks and Caribs through Christianisation and slaughter? The forcible conversions of thousands of slaves? The forced sterilisation of women slaves when their mistresses hit menopause or wanted no more children from their husbands so that the slavemasters couldn't get sons off of them? Or the "backbone" of the anti-revolution, which stated that the Haitians must not revolt because they wouldn't want the slavemasters to revolt against them?

"And the French, afraid that there would not be enough sugar, bespoke of their slaves of the Golden Rule, of how they would want to rule land free and have others to serve them, and that they must not do to their masters any evil thing, as it would come back to them by the hand of God" --Thomas Carlyle (The French Revolution: A History)

07-21-2010, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010 02:38 PM by Raphael.)
(07-21-2010 01:23 PM)Clementine Wrote:  The golden rule has nearly destroyed Haiti over and over and over. So take your condemnations to a library and read a little bit, before you assume.

ya sure
the GOLDEN RULE has ruined Haiti.
duh

so I guess you have no interest in signing the CHARTER FOR COMPASSION?
http://charterforcompassion.org/

here are some folks who have signed.
Quote:# Karen Armstrong
# Archbishop Desmond Tutu
# Sheikh Ali Gomaa
# H.M. Queen Noor of Jordan
# His Holiness the Dalai Lama
# Dr. Abdul Sattar Edhi
# Prof. Candido Mendes
# Mohsen Kadivar
# Paul Simon
# Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
# Shaykh Abdallah Bin Bayyah
# Pierre Omidyar
# Meg Ryan
# Rabbi David Saperstein
# Vusi Mahlasela
# Rev. Peter Storey
# Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark
# Peter Gabriel
# Eve Ensler
# Swami Dayananda Saraswati
# Eboo Patel
# Prof. Dr. Din Syamsuddin
# Jody Williams
# Tariq Ramadan
# The Sakyong Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche
# Sir Ken Robinson
# Salman Ahmad

not interested eh?

in that case ozzy osbourne needs somebody to bite the head of a chicken off, for some pathetic ritual he has planned.

are you interested
my darling clementine?

she'll be coming around the mountain when she comes
toot toot

namaste

07-21-2010, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2010 02:50 PM by KC Carter.)
(07-21-2010 01:43 PM)Stereophonic Wrote:  You are assuming a particular interpretation of the Golden Rule here--an interpretation that any educated Christians would reject.
Any version of the Golden Rule is open to interpretations that can lead to disgusting results. Clementine is using the positive version, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", but the negative one is equally bad as my example above showed, "Don't do unto others that which you wouldn't want done unto you" - well, I wouldn't want to be allowed to commit heinous sins against God so we must save the souls of gays by banning homosexual marriage.

Unless you have another version that I'm unaware of?

The Platinum Rule is better, "Treat others as they wish to be treated", but even that has it's flaws.

The greatest strength is in resisting provocation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Burke Rule Visqueen 1 1,777 03-22-2017 06:15 PM
Last Post: Visqueen
  Women. God’s afterthought and man’s curse to rule. Greatest I am 20 2,340 02-23-2016 01:26 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  Should man rule over women for women’s own good? Greatest I am 3 915 05-25-2012 10:21 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Golden Rule EqualAtheist 17 2,295 07-08-2011 08:49 AM
Last Post: Huitaca
  New golden age. MRlogic 6 1,014 02-01-2011 05:52 PM
Last Post: MRlogic
  Noah would says No to God, or be a Traitor to Jesus, says do onto others rule? Greatest I am 9 1,541 01-09-2011 11:07 AM
Last Post: Greatest I am
  God’s Law is -- No miracles. Man and physics Rule Earth. Greatest I am 27 3,586 07-27-2010 10:17 AM
Last Post: azurescen
  THE WORLD’S GOLDEN RATIO POINT myway 1 1,051 12-10-2008 01:51 PM
Last Post: B MAN

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)