Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lets talk about Family Guy and those Religous Jokes!
11-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Lets talk about Family Guy and those Religous Jokes!
My Favorite is the one where some one says, "I wish I was dead." Than it shows God in Heaven with a gun trying to shoot him until some one calls!

So any one else like to comment about Family Guy, Simpson, or South Park jokes that pertain to Religion?

"Hidden underneath the stoned cold surface of every Pious Person lays buried a Kinky Pervert, Stop bringing shovels, Where not digging!"-Azrael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2009, 07:28 AM
RE: Lets talk about Family Guy and those Religous Jokes!
I liked one in the Simpsons when Bart's tree house was destroyed. Homer declared "Son, I'll build you a tree house so big it's an affront to God!"

Made me laugh anyway...
11-05-2009, 10:17 AM
For all its preachyness, there's one scene in "Not All Dogs Go to Heaven" (the Family Guy episode where Brian comes out as an Atheist) that always has me rolling. Brian questions the existence of god, then he says, "What is he doing up in heaven all day?"

Cutscene: FLASH! Ooooohhhh! Defender of the universe!

With god in a Flash Gordon outfit. That just... makes my day.

But you need to understand the point of Family Guy. Family Guy makes a concerted effort to be a little less watchable each season. If you get that and enjoy it, it's a great show. Otherwise, you like it for the first three seasons, but then it seems to be a collection of in-jokes, running gags, gags that go on WAY after they're funny, and the most offensive plots imaginable, unless of course Brian is preaching about something.

Problem is very few people get that. And so when Stewie casually remarks that a universe without Christianity would result in us living in a technological utopia (as he does in this season's very funny opener,) the Christians get all up in arms. But Macfarlane isn't an idiot. He knows that the simple removal of Christianity wouldn't have stopped the Dark Ages, and that the removal of the Dark Ages wouldn't have created a utopia. But boy, he sure caused a lot of controversy with one throwaway line, didn't he? According to the comments I read, most of the people who hated that episode hated it because it was "too preachy". And yet I can't recall anything that was preachy besides that one line: In a world where Christianity never existed, there would be no dark ages to interrupt technological progress.

A single line, and he drove people crazy. Macfarlane 1, Oversensitive people 0.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
(11-05-2009 10:17 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  . And yet I can't recall anything that was preachy besides that one line: In a world where Christianity never existed, there would be no dark ages to interrupt technological progress.

Interestingly, there was a fair amount of technological progress in the so called Dark Ages (a term growing out of favor with historians). But it does not seem to have had much to do with the church one way or the other.

Go to this link, click on Page 137 and start reading.

A sample:

Quote:The Greco-Roman world, and especially the Roman world, while highly creative in other fields of human activity, remained, according to this point of view, strangely inactive in the technological field.

[T]he Dark Ages ushered in a period in which technological innovations succeeded each other at a faster pace, and with an increasing emphasis on mechanical aspects.

“The heavy plow, the open fields, the new integration of agriculture and herding, three field rotation, modern horse harness, nailed horseshoes and the whipple tree had combined into a total system of agrarian exploitation that by the year 1100 to provide a zone of peasant prosperity stretching across Northern Europe from the Atlantic to the Dnieper.”

Other technological innovations in Europe in the period 500-1500 noted in this book include: the spread of the water mill, the heavy plow, the European style of windmill, greatly increased use of iron, the spinning wheel, spectacles, clocks, canal locks, fully rigged ships and more.

Other ‘Dark Ages’ technological innovations not mentioned in the book but with which I am familiar include the dry compass, the mariner’s astrolabe and advanced techniques of dead reckoning, all contributing greatly to maritime trade.

One interesting point brought out in the book was the development of new ideas about capitalization in this era. For example, the horse represents a much greater capital investment than the ox but the benefits of the horse over the ox are much greater over the long term. Once this was appreciated, the horse rapidly replaced the ox for most tasks.

Moral: Don’t believe everything you hear. There is as much unfounded superstitious nonsense on the extreme anti-theist side as on the extreme theist side. Too much of each has become common (but false) folklore.
11-06-2009, 12:58 AM
That's the point. While the case can certainly be made that the church has impeded scientific progress, that is no guarantee that some secular organization would not have fulfilled that purpose. Nor is it likely that science would be too far advanced in such a scenario, since as you pointed out the Dark Ages actually had scientific advancement. Seth MacFarlane knows this. He dropped one line deliberately into the episode, knowing it would send a certain group of Americans screaming about how the show has gotten "preachy".

A lot of the show's humor is metahumor. Like Andy Kaufman, Family Guy likes the ultimate joke to be played on the audience.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
12-14-2009, 12:05 AM
My favourite one was in the Simpsons when they go shoe shopping and bart asks "Why do we have to get new shoes, Jesus wore sandals!"

To which Homer replies "yeah well maybe if he'd had better arch support they wouldn't have caught him!"

that one always cracks me up

For it may be God damns a liar less than he who throws his life away for pride - Arthur Miller (Rev. John Hale), Act IV, The Crucible
12-14-2009, 06:26 AM
lol, my favourite was in the simpsons when Ned takes over the school
Superintendent Chalmers: Thank the Lord? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer. A prayer in a public school! God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion!

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816506286 Cool
12-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Since this thread got bumped...

Recently Family Guy had an episode, "Leonard is the New Black." The subplot of the episode involves the fact that Quagmire apparently can't stand Brian. Brian spends most of the episode trying to make it up to him, and finally Quagmire reveals why he doesn't like him in a speech that I cannot help but think is a direct answer to everyone who thinks Brian is Seth MacFarlane's mouthpiece.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/111154/family-...s-p1-sr-i1

01-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I just found that episode with Quagmire disliking Brian. I was sort of surprised at the end- it wasn't the usual sort of episode ending.

My favorite religious joke in family guy is the one where Peter says "Thank you Jesus!" and it cuts to heaven where Jesus is saying "Actually, it wasn't me, it was...-" and Vishnu shows up and says "It's okay, I'm used to it."
01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHf5bmTvJFQ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3 men start to talk about God then................. Azrael17 1 758 11-01-2009 01:23 AM
Last Post: Parousia

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)