Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lilith as Adams' first wife
07-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Lilith as Adams' first wife
Recently I was having an in depth conversation with a Christian friend of mine and she told me about a special documentary that she watched on tv.

The discussion was about Lilith. Adams supposed first wife. I found it very interesting. I did some research and I can see where in the book of Genesis that can misinterpreted. I am not sure about this at all. I am just looking for an explanation of some sort.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
RE: Lilith as Adams' first wife
(07-31-2009 06:04 PM)godlover Wrote:  Recently I was having an in depth conversation with a Christian friend of mine and she told me about a special documentary that she watched on tv.

The discussion was about Lilith. Adams supposed first wife. I found it very interesting. I did some research and I can see where in the book of Genesis that can misinterpreted. I am not sure about this at all. I am just looking for an explanation of some sort.

I imagine you are referring to the apparent contradiction between Gen. 1:27

So God created human beings in his own image.
In the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

and the separate creation of man and woman in Gen. 2

One Jewish tradition that attempts to preserve absolute literalness has an earlier wife for Adam, Lilith.

Notice that the creation story starts over in Gen. 2:4. The early parts of Genesis are apparently a combining of several partial older documents into one and the seams sometimes show. You can also seen unexplained mysteries in the story of Cain and Abel, like where did Cain find a wife much less the manpower to build a city?

See Genesis Ch. 1 to 4
07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Lilith is fun. She was the first female empowerment symbol in the judeo-christian myth, kicked out of the garden because she refused to allow Adam to sexually dominate her. Some stories say she was the lover of Lucifer, or even Jehovah himself. Others tie her to Cain, though this is contradicted in other texts that say Cain married either his or Abel's twin sister.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
08-01-2009, 06:43 AM
(07-31-2009 10:50 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Lilith is fun. She was the first female empowerment symbol in the judeo-christian myth, kicked out of the garden because she refused to allow Adam to sexually dominate her. Some stories say she was the lover of Lucifer, or even Jehovah himself. Others tie her to Cain, though this is contradicted in other texts that say Cain married either his or Abel's twin sister.

Martin Scorsese could do a movie about her. Big Grin
08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Someone should do a movie about her. I mean, they've made Dogma, so it's not like blasphemy is taboo anymore Smile

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
08-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you both for your replies.
Parousia~ I was referring to the "apparent contradiction". Another friend of mine asked me if I thought the Bible contradicted itself and I don't believe so. I was just struggling to comprehend what I had been handed to ponder.

GT~ When I googled it and then read the bible verse in which "Lilith" was in I noticed that it is just a reference to a Lilith type person. She is referred to as shacking up with Satan.

I was just trying to make sense of it all.
08-01-2009, 09:47 PM
That was part of it. The other part of it is in the chapter of Genesis where it talks about man and women being made from the dust of the earth (Chapter 2, if I recall. I'm in the middle of dinner so I can't look it up right now.) Lilith was supposedly made from the dust along with Adam, while Eve was made from Adam's rib (thus being less than Adam, and thus sexually submissive to Adam.)

The rest of the Lilith story isn't found in the Bible, but rather in the apocryphal literature of the Jews.

08-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Happy Sunday to ALL
Yeah I noticed that about Gen as well. Even though I did some research on it I also figure that if we were really supposed to know about it, it would be much clearer in the Bible.
When I googled Lilith it gave me a passage from Isaiah~
off the top of my head I can't tell you what verse it was but it referred to Lilith as a "type" of person not "as" a person.
I really do want to know more abut it. Maybe I will just have to pray on it and let God give me the information.
08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
You could try that, or you could look her up on Wikipedia, then click on the reference links to read the original apocryphal texts.

Just saying.

Seriously, you believe we're only supposed to know things that are clearly in the Bible? You must have been terrible in school. The Bible doesn't say anything about algebra, english lit, and it downright contradicts science.

08-02-2009, 02:26 PM
"Even though I did some research on it I also figure that if we were really supposed to know about it, it would be much clearer in the Bible."

I strictly meant that if it is in the Bible and I was supposed to understand it it would be clearer in the Bible.

I don't believe that you are only supposed to know the Bible. You clearly misunderstood what I was saying OR you are playing devils advocate.
Right away you jump to Algebra and English Lit. Neither of which have anything to do with the topic. You seem hostile towards religion or spirituality. Why is that?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)