Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Luke...World's Greatest Historian
07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Luke...World's Greatest Historian
Dr Luke (Gospel of Luke) was perhaps the world's greatest historian. The research Luke did is reflected in the accuracy of his account.
The Gospel of Luke besides numerous mentions of things with historical and archaeological significance also mentions;
32 countries
54 cities
9 islands.

Because of the numerous mention to countries and cities, Sir William Ramsay thought that this book would be the easiest one to disprove. He along with his archaeological team set out to Asia Minor to prove the Bible wrong. But... a funny thing happened. "Ramsay became so overwhelmed with the evidence he eventually converted to Christianity"
Ramsey Wrote:I began with a mind unfavorable to it...but more recently I found myself brought into contact with the Book of Acts as an authority for the topography, antiquities, and society of Asia Minor. It was gradually borne upon me that in various details the narrative showed marvelous truth

Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy...this author should be placed along with the very greatest historians.
http://www.bibleevidences.com/archeology.htm

Interesting how so many people say the Bible is filled with errors. Yet for many who are willing to study it with an open mind, such as Sir William Ramsay, it is inerrant.

Would you agree that archaeology is just one of many ways of confirming the accuracy of Biblical accounts?

"I challenge...to come up with one practical application of biology that would have been impossible were it not for the hypothesis of evolution" Sonenthal, New Scientist
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 12:24 AM
RE: Luke...World's Greatest Historian
I think no one disputes the archaeology of the Bible too much. It's the miracles and revelations that people dispute.
07-12-2013, 04:59 PM
(07-12-2013 12:24 AM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  I think no one disputes the archaeology of the Bible too much. It's the miracles and revelations that people dispute.

Who in the first century disputed that miracles [ powerful works] were done ? There were those who did not deny them, but they simply gave the credit to others doing them rather than Christ.

Because Jesus always performed his miraculous works in public, not private, there were always eyewitnesses and that helped quickly spread the new Christian religion on a grand scale.

What is there to dispute about 2nd Timothy 3 vs 1-5,13 ? Isn't that an accurate word picture of the world scene today ? An international scale just as the international scale of the proclaiming of the 'good news of God's kingdom' today is being done on a global scale just as Jesus said it would be done.[ Matthew 24 v 14 ]

The book of Revelation is written in very vivid word pictures and we can see by the ending of Revelation a return of the 'tree of life' that was in Eden [ Rev. 22 v 2 ] and that return of the tree of life is for the curing or healing of Earth's nations. So, Revelation is a Happy Ending to the end of Jesus' coming 1000-year reign over Earth.- Psalm 72 vs 8, 12-14
01-06-2014, 05:13 PM
What I find most interesting about the gospel of Luke is that 53% of it is unique (stories not covered in other gospels).

Remember those two times that Jesus sent his disciples out to evangelize? Next time you read Luke, see if you can pick out which stories DON'T have the disciples in them. Luke was free to conduct interviews of people who saw only Jesus sans followers, and he could write the stories that disciples (like Matthew and John) weren't around to witness.

For me, this demonstrates the honesty of the gospel writers. They wrote what they saw and could account for, not rumor, not hearsay, and not what they couldn't verify.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Luke 12:10 s2a 27 2,236 11-16-2014 12:25 AM
Last Post: kaleb

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)