Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MY TESTIMONY, Salvation 101, Part 1
02-05-2009, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2009 08:58 PM by ellisbrasher.)
MY TESTIMONY, Salvation 101, Part 1
TESTIMONY OF ELLIS BRASHER, RUSK, TX
Like many youngsters I walked the aisle, joined the church and was baptized as an early teenager. I was part of a church going family and felt that it was my duty to be a member of the small Baptist church we were attending.
I think I did have some vague understanding of the Bible, about Jesus Christ, His teachings, crucifixion and resurrection.
I had no knowledge or understanding that true salvation does indeed involve more than just simply doing something dutiful that I had heard and read about.
Not knowing any better I was satisfied with my perceived salvation and then at about 18-19 years old I began drinking and then in 1962 I wound up in AA at the age of 29 and even then I still thought that years before I had completed my required functions as a Christian and was a saved person.
At this time in my life I had only a small knowledge of the Holy Spirit and had never experienced the feeling of His work. I had no idea that a person is only saved at the urging of the Holy Spirit.
I may have at one time or another read the below Bible verses, but apparently they did not sink in my young brain.

MATTHEW 18:20 "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."
JOHN 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day."

The last of the above verses unequivocally states that a person is only saved at the urging of the Holy Spirit and which is the Holy Spirit of the Father.
I now realize at that point in my life I was not saved and would not be until many years later.
In 1968 a workmate friend may have sensed that I was not saved and started witnessing to me about salvation, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and many other aspects of true belief. A feeling came over me that I had never experienced before in my life. It was as if you want to rejoice and/or cry at the same time. My friend sensed what was happening and remarked "Ellis, I believe the Holy Spirit is speaking to you right now". I was confused and simply replied that I did not know what he was talking about. Well, I never forgot that experience and I began to realize that sooner or later I was going to have to do something about it.
I carried that experience in the back of my mind some 25 years and then one day I asked my wife if she would like for us to start going to church, she replied, "Yes, I thought you would never ask". We both started going to Eastside Baptist in Rusk, TX where we were warmly welcomed and in a short while we both moved our memberships there.
But I still felt that I needed to do something, but was filled with confusion and anxiety wondering what to do even though on several other occasions I felt the presence and urging of the Holy Spirit.
Then sometime later, lo and behold, a man walked the aisle with a story similar to mine apparently confessing his pent up belief and faith in Jesus Christ and wanting to be baptized which he was a few days later.
I then realized what I had seen was what I needed to do; so at the next service where I felt that urge I walked down the aisle, told the basics of this story and was baptized a few days later.
Now, this does not mean that I or other saved Christians would never sin again; we sin and fall short of the glory of God every day, but the work of Jesus Christ on the cross was and is sufficient for all past, present and future sins of a saved believer.
1 JOHN 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."
At one time I struggled about the idea that many propose that the Bible can't be proven as "cold hard fact". A lady friend, church member cleared that up for me with this remark, "The Bible and salvation are about FAITH; if they were about cold hard fact, there would be no room or reason for faith."
PART 2 on another post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2009, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2009 09:32 PM by DerStrom.)
RE: MY TESTIMONY, Salvation 101, Part 1
Young ellisbrasher, I understand well the confusion and anxiety that can arise from not understanding the world around us. As children in a very large, confusing universe, it is extremely commonplace for people who are scared of the world and it's mysteries to give up. These people, like yourself, decide to stop asking questions. They stop living their lives with responsibility and with firm commitment to spirituality and to understanding reality and thir place in it. Instead, they abdicate all responsibility for their lives to something, or someone, else. They place their hands together in a pious gesture and claim that the "ways of the lord are beyond our understanding."

In truth, accepting Jesus christ as your personal savior means that you do not believe you have the strength or the courage to think for yourself, follow what your conscience tells you, and hold yourself responsible for your actions.

It is moral cowardice to do as you have done, and the reason is that nothing knows you better than yourself. That includes any diety, any god, any savior. And the reason for that is, of course, because it is the nature of things that the only savior there is, is the savior of yourself.

It is a frightening prospect. Taking responsibility for your own actions. Living your life the best way you can in a forever changing world. Many people decide to favor the comfort of throwing that burden to something else, like a savior, but those people never mature, never grow, and always die.

Es gibt keine Korken in diesem Strom. Aber ich dachte zweifellos, dass es geben würde. Es dauerte mir Jahre, um diese einfache Wahrheit zu finden.
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Do you recognize any of these?

http://www.thememoryhole.org/fordnazi.htm
02-06-2009, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2009 03:57 AM by smellycat.)
In truth, accepting Jesus christ as your personal savior means that you do not believe you have the strength or the courage to think for yourself, no it does not mean that........................,Christ is our salvation,we repent of our sins because we know we have been wrong like all humans.we ask for help spiritually.i was in chains to worldly things,Christ freed me.
Taking responsibility for your own actions. Living your life the best way you can in a forever changing world. Many people decide to favor the comfort of throwing that burden to something else, like a savior, but those people never mature, never grow, and always die. ............what a load of dribble i can take responsibility that i,m not in chains.i do walk straight and your foolish remarks are just that.

Good evil salvation
02-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks smelly, where'd you get your handle.
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
smelly-dirty.cat-catholic.smellycat.since been cleansed,lol.

Good evil salvation
02-06-2009, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2009 10:05 AM by Alison.)
Ellis, salvation is a beautiful thing ... conviction from the Holy Spirit is indeed moving and quite an eye opener. So many go through the motions and never experience the full grace.

DerStrom, you obiously believe much differently than people of faith, but keep in mind that people are entitled to their own opinion and the entitled to practice whatever faith they choose without retribution.

It's unfair and downright nasty to say that people of faith are irresponsible, weak, pious, spineless, immature cowards. I have a strong faith and can say, without doubt or fail, that I am none of those things.

Your intro post said you were willing to discuss things ... you didn't want to push things on people nor have them pushed on you. Your post in this thread would suggest otherwise.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
(02-06-2009 10:04 AM)Alison Wrote:  Ellis, salvation is a beautiful thing ... conviction from the Holy Spirit is indeed moving and quite an eye opener. So many go through the motions and never experience the full grace.

DerStrom, you obiously believe much differently than people of faith, but keep in mind that people are entitled to their own opinion and the entitled to practice whatever faith they choose without retribution.

It's unfair and downright nasty to say that people of faith are irresponsible, weak, pious, spineless, immature cowards. I have a strong faith and can say, without doubt or fail, that I am none of those things.

Your intro post said you were willing to discuss things ... you didn't want to push things on people nor have them pushed on you. Your post in this thread would suggest otherwise.

No, not really... You see, I'm not pushing my views on anyone, precisely because I can't push my views on anyway. It violates a natural law, that everyone will witness reality as their beliefs dictate.

Now, my beliefs, I'll admit, are probably not the most accurate when compared to actual reality. I'm working on that. Still, I have heard christianity make the claim that we are all sinners and underseving of anything. That we are miserable creations who do not deserve salvation, and that we should submit everything we have to the will of a diety. It is my belief that by relying on God to solve our problems we are not relying on ourselves.

Of course, relying on god would make sense if we really were wretched miserable creatures. But in my experience, people never were wretched or spineless or cowardly. Or rather, those that believe they are like that tend to act according to their beliefs. Even then, there is nothing stopping us from being couragous, strong, and independent of any force.

I feel the wanting to be saved by jesus christ is the result of not wanting to be saved by one's self. Many people who become saved are people who's life circumstances have slid into the proverbial toilet. Maybe someone was a drug addict, or a homeless person, or doing all kinds of bad things and getting themselves into a deep hole of no return. Then that person happens upon a church and sees that jesus christ can take all those problems away for nothing. It's a very tempting offer, isn't it?

If you do take the offer, of course, then you must surrender your free will and independent thought. I say this, because you must believe the doctrines of the bible and your pastor, which may or may not contradict. You wouldn't know, because it's a given that you have to believe them. You must forbid yourself from certain activities that harm no one. And you must look down upon with an almost angry-like energy against those that do things that you have been told you can not do. You're entire existence becomes a matter of serving your God, which in most cases means fundraisers for your community church, giving your pastor a good living, and other material things that do nothing to improve your life, and do everything to improve your pastor's.

Does it seem like a fair trade? Sure. If you believe it.
Now, allison, you're right about me possessing very different beliefs from the posters in this thread. However, I have not made any statement that is unfounded. Of course, unfounded does not mean untrue. I could very well be wrong. However, I'm not interested in being "right", at this time. This is a forum for exchanging of views. The above is how I experience things. I would be glad if you didn't jump right away to calling me an atheist propagandist [censored], as I am not an atheist, and never intended my previous post or this one to convert anyone.

allow me to put it this wau: It is you who believe in christianity. It is you who negatively views this and the prevoius post. And it is you who thinks I care about converting you. Believe me. I don't.

Es gibt keine Korken in diesem Strom. Aber ich dachte zweifellos, dass es geben würde. Es dauerte mir Jahre, um diese einfache Wahrheit zu finden.
02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
(02-06-2009 11:25 AM)DerStrom Wrote:  
(02-06-2009 10:04 AM)Alison Wrote:  DerStrom, you obiously believe much differently than people of faith, but keep in mind that people are entitled to their own opinion and the entitled to practice whatever faith they choose without retribution.

No, not really... You see, I'm not pushing my views on anyone, precisely because I can't push my views on anyway. It violates a natural law, that everyone will witness reality as their beliefs dictate.

Now, my beliefs, I'll admit, are probably not the most accurate when compared to actual reality. I'm working on that. Still, I have heard christianity make the claim that we are all sinners and underseving of anything. That we are miserable creations who do not deserve salvation, and that we should submit everything we have to the will of a diety. It is my belief that by relying on God to solve our problems we are not relying on ourselves.

Of course, relying on god would make sense if we really were wretched miserable creatures. But in my experience, people never were wretched or spineless or cowardly. Or rather, those that believe they are like that tend to act according to their beliefs. Even then, there is nothing stopping us from being couragous, strong, and independent of any force.

I feel the wanting to be saved by jesus christ is the result of not wanting to be saved by one's self. Many people who become saved are people who's life circumstances have slid into the proverbial toilet. Maybe someone was a drug addict, or a homeless person, or doing all kinds of bad things and getting themselves into a deep hole of no return. Then that person happens upon a church and sees that jesus christ can take all those problems away for nothing. It's a very tempting offer, isn't it?

If you do take the offer, of course, then you must surrender your free will and independent thought. I say this, because you must believe the doctrines of the bible and your pastor, which may or may not contradict. You wouldn't know, because it's a given that you have to believe them. You must forbid yourself from certain activities that harm no one. And you must look down upon with an almost angry-like energy against those that do things that you have been told you can not do. You're entire existence becomes a matter of serving your God, which in most cases means fundraisers for your community church, giving your pastor a good living, and other material things that do nothing to improve your life, and do everything to improve your pastor's.

Does it seem like a fair trade? Sure. If you believe it.
Now, allison, you're right about me possessing very different beliefs from the posters in this thread. However, I have not made any statement that is unfounded. Of course, unfounded does not mean untrue. I could very well be wrong. However, I'm not interested in being "right", at this time. This is a forum for exchanging of views. The above is how I experience things. I would be glad if you didn't jump right away to calling me an atheist propagandist [censored], as I am not an atheist, and never intended my previous post or this one to convert anyone.

allow me to put it this wau: It is you who believe in christianity. It is you who negatively views this and the prevoius post. And it is you who thinks I care about converting you. Believe me. I don't.

Holy cow ... I didn't call you an atheist ... in any way. I just said, if you'll notice, that you obviously believe much differently than people of faith.

So, aside from that ... have a nice day.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2009 05:30 PM by ellisbrasher.)
(02-06-2009 09:04 AM)smellycat Wrote:  smelly-dirty.cat-catholic.smellycat.since been cleansed,lol.
Assuming you are now a noncatholic; there are many nonbibical beliefs and rituals in the catholic group which some refer to as a cult.
Such as worship of Mary:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/mary_cor.htm
http://www.tanbooks.com/doct/true_devotion.htm
Buying a dead person into heaven.
Infant baptism.
An earthly man, the pope, is infallible and the implication that he and certain others can forgive man's sin.
Works is more important than faith.
Plus several others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Universal Salvation ColForbin 8 1,314 10-07-2014 12:26 AM
Last Post: ether-ore
  Paper 101: The Real Nature of Religion WhiteNova 14 1,811 10-02-2011 08:53 PM
Last Post: rocketboy9000
  The Two Part Salvation The Word 2 631 08-05-2010 03:24 PM
Last Post: The Word
  My Testimony NekoJones 23 2,625 06-09-2010 04:18 PM
Last Post: NekoJones
  MY TESTIMONY, Salvation 101, Part 2 ellisbrasher 6 1,136 02-06-2009 07:23 PM
Last Post: B MAN

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)