Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maccabees
05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Maccabees
I was reading the two books of Maccabees in my Catholic Bible, and when I had finished I was looking through my Dad's King James Version and noticed that Maccabees wasn't in there. Can anyone explain? Does Protestantism view this as one of the "skeptical" books?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2009 07:27 PM by Anglican.)
RE: Maccabees
(05-04-2009 07:17 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  I was reading the two books of Maccabees in my Catholic Bible, and when I had finished I was looking through my Dad's King James Version and noticed that Maccabees wasn't in there. Can anyone explain? Does Protestantism view this as one of the "skeptical" books?

1 & 2 Maccabees are apocryphal or deutero-canonical books. In other words the Catholic Church recognises them as scripture, but the other western denominations don't.
05-04-2009, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2009 07:30 PM by Holy Babylon.)
Oh, okay. Do the other churches still view it as true true or do they view it as blasphemous?
05-04-2009, 07:42 PM
(05-04-2009 07:30 PM)Holy Babylon Wrote:  Oh, okay. Do the other churches still view it as true true or do they view it as blasphemous?

I can't speak for the head bangers, but the mainstream denominations would classify the apocryphal texts as optional extras. They might be useful, in the same way a religious tract printed six months ago might be useful, but they are not regarded as scriptural.
05-04-2009, 11:27 PM
They are not considered divinely inspired by Protestant denominations. They're not necessarily heretical, they are historical books, and many Protestants believe the events written within took place, but they do not accept the doctrine (such as purgatory) as laid out in Maccabees.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)