Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Memorial of Christ's Death
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Memorial of Christ's Death
Jehovah’s Witnesses observe the Memorial to commemorate Christ’s death and to remember all that his death and resurrection have accomplished. The memorial reminds us of the vindication of Jehovah’s sovereignty, the sanctification of his name, fulfillment of his purpose, including the salvation of mankind.

1 Corinthians 11:23-25 Paul said: “I received from the Lord that which I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was going to be handed over took a loaf and, after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.’ He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: ‘This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
Christians are commanded to observe the Lord’s evening Meal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
RE: Memorial of Christ's Death
And here is the same passage in a better translation:

Quote:For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it” (1 Corinthians 11:23-25, New Living Translation).

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
04-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Wow, that's some really insightful information; there's no way a human could write something like that. Good job then those words were inspired by God. The Bible is so useful when you run out of toilet paper.

We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake
04-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Wow~ who are you?
That was probably the most disrespectful thing I have ever heard in my life.
If that is what you choose to use the bible for Secular then do you mind keeping it to yourself.

You don't have to believe in it but im sure you are respected for your beliefs and that favor should be returned. Respect others and their religious beliefs.....INCLUDING THE BIBLE!

It's not about you or me. It's about GOD.
04-04-2010, 04:47 AM
(04-04-2010 02:28 AM)godlover Wrote:  Wow~ who are you?
That was probably the most disrespectful thing I have ever heard in my life.
If that is what you choose to use the bible for Secular then do you mind keeping it to yourself.

You don't have to believe in it but im sure you are respected for your beliefs and that favor should be returned. Respect others and their religious beliefs.....INCLUDING THE BIBLE!

Godlover, please get over it. If the Bible is your object of worship, then you MAY have an argument for offence. If it is not, what is your point? The Bible has a specific importance to "Christians". To many others, it is a book. Nothing more , nothing less.
The denigration of another's belief, may in fact be offensive to the believer, but the offender, in a just society, must have the right to so offend.

????????????????
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
(04-04-2010 04:47 AM)kevlar Wrote:  
(04-04-2010 02:28 AM)godlover Wrote:  You don't have to believe in it but im sure you are respected for your beliefs and that favor should be returned. Respect others and their religious beliefs.....INCLUDING THE BIBLE!

Godlover, please get over it. If the Bible is your object of worship, then you MAY have an argument for offence. If it is not, what is your point? The Bible has a specific importance to "Christians". To many others, it is a book. Nothing more , nothing less.
The denigration of another's belief, may in fact be offensive to the believer, but the offender, in a just society, must have the right to so offend.

Regardless of religious beliefs, the toilet paper comment was pretty inane. The Bible is one of our species' most important documents, from both a theological and historical perspective, as well as cultural and all the rest. To say you'd wipe your bum with it is like saying you'd do the same with the works of Shakespeare, Beowulf, or a copy of Origin of Species. If he wants to say something like that, then he is merely displaying his own ignorance, so perhaps Godlover was right to pull him up on his comment; it was hardly going to enhance the conversation.
04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
(04-04-2010 09:45 AM)Zagreus Wrote:  
(04-04-2010 04:47 AM)kevlar Wrote:  
(04-04-2010 02:28 AM)godlover Wrote:  You don't have to believe in it but im sure you are respected for your beliefs and that favor should be returned. Respect others and their religious beliefs.....INCLUDING THE BIBLE!

Regardless of religious beliefs, the toilet paper comment was pretty inane. The Bible is one of our species' most important documents, from both a theological and historical perspective, as well as cultural and all the rest. To say you'd wipe your bum with it is like saying you'd do the same with the works of Shakespeare, Beowulf, or a copy of Origin of Species. If he wants to say something like that, then he is merely displaying his own ignorance, so perhaps Godlover was right to pull him up on his comment; it was hardly going to enhance the conversation.

People should not be able to speak their minds?

????????????????
04-04-2010, 10:09 AM
No, people can speak their minds; Godlover pointed out that he felt the comment was offensive, you said he should get over it, and I said Hobbit's comment was dumb (Note that I didn't say anything about offensive)

I dare say that Hobbit's comment probably broke forum rules too. Some forums you are allowed to say c**nt, others you are not. Some you can make pointless comments about defecating on Holy Texts, this one you are required to show respect. Simples.
04-04-2010, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2010 10:15 AM by kevlar.)
Godlover is a woman (you couldn't know) and OK, I'll stay out of an argument I had no interest in anyway. Godlover I respect your position and beliefs, and apologise if that is needed.

????????????????
04-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Cool, thanks for the gender heads up. Always good to know.

I'm going to stay out of the argument too. My comment was more aimed at Hobbit than you, and there's not much more to add really.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)