10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Mentos and Coke
http://eepybird.com/dcm1.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
RE: Mentos and Coke
That's so awesome!

My son had a science project last year and we did the proverbial volcano. Three days of clay, mesh and colored sand all over the kitchen. The other volcano makers in the class were discussing the proper mixture of vinegar/soda/food coloring for their explosion.

We, however, built our volcano around a diet coke.

We had it painted and colored with the proper red-orange lava flow around the top and over the sides. Other kids scoffed and said it was weak to paint on the lava. My cool kid just nodded his head and said, 'Yeah, I know.'

Presentations were given, planets orbited, potatoes lighted lightbulbs ... and then the volcano eruptions began. Eveyone was gathered around to watch the puny vinegar and soda bubble and barely make it over the opening. Last, but not least, it's my kid's turn. He casually hands the teacher a poncho ('cause that's the kind of nice parent I am!) and some goggles and dons his own set. He grins, tells the other kids to stand back, especially if they're wearing white, and cracks the seal on the diet coke. He drops in two mentos quickly and jumps back.

OOOooo's, AAAaaahhh's, AWESOMEs and SWEEEEEETs could be heard all the way down the hall.

Big Grin

We (I mean, he) got an A ... despite the stain on the ceiling!

So, the next time you have a science project ... remember the dc & mentos!

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Alison, that's a brilliant story!

I have an exploding story too, involving school kids, but it's a bit grim!

Whilst I was a teacher, I got chatting to a couple of lads who had been removed from their classroom and put in with me whilst I was working. I knew them as I'd taught them, and they were nice lads of 15 years age.

Various stories led me to telling them that if you feed pigeons alka selter, they get gas, can't burp, and so fly off and explode. We all laughed, and I said I'd never done it as I'm not cruel, but had heard that story. (I'm vegetarian, and I certainly don't condone cruelty to animals)

I came into school on the Monday, and the little s*ds had done it and filmed it!!! I regret telling them that story... Sad
10-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Pigeons can't burp?! Huh ... I'll have to add that to my arsenal of tidbits!

We watched a Myth Busters episode that covered the mentos thing. They finally disovered that it is the aspartame in the diet coke that causes such a violent reaction, but it doesn't work with any other diet sodas.

Well, my son is 14, so I understand. I often have to censor things because, no doubt, he and his brain cell-challenged buddies will try anything once! I always get a little worried when I hear "HEY! Watch this!!"

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Has anyone tried the famous "Freeze a mento in a cube of ice" gag? I've always been curious to see if that would work.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
What is it? I'll do it (if you can actually get mentos over here), or if it's dangerous I'm sure I have a friend who's stupid enough to try it!
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
It's not dangerous, just messy. The basic idea: get an old fashioned ice cube tray. Put just a little bit of water in it, to form a base layer of ice. Then put the mento on the ice, and fill the rest of it up, freezing the mento in a cube of ice. Then put the ice cube in someone's glass of diet coke, and wait for it to melt.

The theory being at some random point during the drinking, the diet coke will suddenly overflow and spill everywhere.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
10-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Right, according to wiki we do have them over here. I will endevour to find out if it's true over the next few weeks!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)