Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mizrah without the Eastern Wall
08-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Mizrah without the Eastern Wall
I have been doing some very basic reading (i.e. Wikipedia articles) about Judaism lately. In this reading I came across an entry for mizrah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrah). In the article it says, "It is customary in traditional Jewish homes to mark the wall in the direction of mizrah to facilitate proper prayer. For this purpose, people use artistic wall plaques inscribed with the word mizrah and scriptural passages like "From the rising (mi-mizrah) of the sun unto the going down thereof, the Lord's name is to be praised" (Ps. 113:3), kabbalistic inscriptions, or pictures of holy places. These plaques are generally placed in rooms in which people pray, such as the living room or bedrooms." I thought this was a really cool idea, but I was wondering what a Jew would do if they didn't have an eastern wall to place the plaque on? The way my home sits, each of the cardinal directions are just about pointing at the corners of the rooms, not a particular wall.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2011, 09:43 PM
RE: Mizrah without the Eastern Wall
the easiest answer is that of a Jew didn't have an eastern wall, he would not hang a piece of artwork designed for the eastern wall. since this is a purely decorative tradition (though it has value as a reminder) there is no obligation to do it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Women arrested after praying at Western Wall Visqueen 47 2,784 02-14-2013 10:01 PM
Last Post: kevlar
Exclamation What do you think about wester wall prayer? itsme 3 1,050 09-10-2009 07:30 PM
Last Post: Zagreus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)