Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moderation of Reputation scores
04-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Moderation of Reputation scores
I have observed an interesting phenomenon. I have given plenty of people positive reputation, for various reasons. I have given two people negative reputation. When doing so, I rather clearly explained the reasons why I did so. That's the point of the reputation system.

Both of these people reciprocated, within twenty-four hours, by giving me negative reputation. One of them actually created an excuse, the validity of which I won't go into here. However both of them, even the one who included an excuse, made it very clear that they were simply docking me reputation out of crude retaliation.

That being the case, I would suggest two things. First, moderation of reputation docks. Obviously the point of reputation is to allow for opinion, but when it's obvious that the dock is just childish retaliation with no good reason I think it should not be allowed. Second, I suggest that you not be allowed to give someone a negative if they have given you a negative in the past period of time, lets say a week to a month. That would allow the poster to consider whether the person in question deserves the dock in reputation, or whether they're just angry that their own reputation was docked.

I'm not sure how automated you can make that with your BB software, but I think it would help make reputation more of what it is supposed to be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2009, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2009 04:50 AM by George.)
RE: Moderation of Reputation scores
The negative reputation given to you was becuse of your own bad language, personal attack and anger towards me. After which you gave me negative reputation first.

Therefore, as I said 'What comes around, goes Around'.....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
That's what I'm talking about. See, a little bit of moderation and we can clear up problems like this.
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
You mean your bad language, personal attacks and anger?
04-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I didn't post this to try to get my reputation points back, George. I did this because I've been thinking about the system, and I think it can be improved. This isn't personal for me, and it shouldn't be for you.
04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
The application of reputation points may take the form of showing appreciation for a posters debating skills and knowledge, or simply rewarding someone because you like their personality and style, or because they reflect your own views. It's hard to identify the rights and wrongs in play, because a person may have a less than fair and objective reason for giving or subtracting points.

If some posters choose to employ the points system as a means of waging tit-for-tat warfare, I s'pose it is slightly unfortunate, but adds human interest.

I jus' regard them as a fun element to the forum, and enjoy reading the comments..
04-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Moderation itself may be difficult, but I do think that requiring a week to a month before tit-for-tat reputation drain (or boost, for that matter,) would give people time to calm down and think logically before proceeding.
05-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Do you think for a moth before you post. I assume you don't. You should think hard before giving someone negative reputation.
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Again, not trying to make this about me, or try to get my rep back, or anything. Just my experiences exposed what I think is a way for the system to be better. That's what this forum is for, suggestions and feedback. My suggestion - moderate and eliminate any negative reputation that has a reason like "because you gave me negative reputation," and not allow people to tagback negative reputation for at least a week, up to a month to give them time to cool down and think about it first.
05-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Ok. Just wait for a month and I will tell you how I feel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does any one still use the Reputation system? Azrael17 4 623 07-20-2013 09:31 AM
Last Post: Visqueen
  reputation points damned2hell 17 1,393 09-05-2012 09:50 AM
Last Post: Dean
  We need more aggressive and active moderation StarStuff 53 4,643 11-07-2011 04:02 PM
Last Post: Flipper
  Reputation points Zagreus 7 1,120 01-12-2010 12:59 PM
Last Post: Zagreus
  Moderation period GTseng3 10 2,295 12-02-2009 02:42 PM
Last Post: Zagreus
  Ditch the "reputation" rankings MerryAtheist 12 2,510 07-16-2009 10:30 PM
Last Post: Raphael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)