Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mormonism and Polygamy
09-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Mormonism and Polygamy
This post is not meant to be judgmental in any way. I am just curious about the facts.
I just have a question.

Is it true that Mormons/Church of Latter-Day Saints practice polygamy?
I watched a documentary about it but it was made a few years back. I wasn't sure how accurate it really is.
Does anyone have facts about this?
If you have facts please present them. I am really looking for honest answers.
If anyone from the above religion answers please don't tell me what you want the world to think IF it is NOT the truth.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
RE: Mormonism and Polygamy
Here is a wiki link on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_marriage

Passionately Sharing Jesus at http://www.apperson.blogspot.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Hey thanks a lot

It's not about you or me. It's about GOD.
09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
No Problem. You sparked my curiosity on the topic.

Passionately Sharing Jesus at http://www.apperson.blogspot.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2009, 07:11 AM
1 Corinthians 7:2 is a clear example of where the the language of the Bible (in this case, Greek) acknowledges that a man can have more than one wife. Had Paul wanted to push monogamy he would have used the word “idios” and not “heautou”.
This understanding of the difference in limitations upon women and men is important because single Christian women around the world are being denied husbands because of the false teaching that a man can have only one wife.
Married men who refuse to marry a virgin who the Lord has provided them may end up guilty of causing such a woman to commit fornication. Just like the man who divorces his wife without cause, causes her to commit adultery, a man who refuses to marry a virgin who the Lord has provided for him may cause her to commit harlotry or some other kind of fornication. Jesus expected that a divorced woman would not be content to go without sex thus the improperly divorced woman (i.e. still married) would have sex and the man who (improperly) divorced her guilty of causing her to seek sex from someone other than him. In the same way, a woman who has had a husband chosen for her by the Lord but who has been deprived of that God given husband, because of the man made custom of monogamy, will end up doing one of the following:
1. Have sex outside of marriage. (harlotry) – About one third of single Christian women will fall into this sin
2. Marry an unbeliever. (fornication) – About one third of single Christian women will fall into this sin
3. Marry a single Christian man. – About one third of Christian women will have this opportunity.
These statistics are fairly accurate for non-Western countries and since the overwhelming number of Christians in the world no longer reside in the West I have chosen to use these numbers. However, in Western countries, a Christian virgin is very difficult to find and if she is willing to live her life properly she will have no problem whatsoever in finding a husband.
Now since the non-Western countries have far more Christian women than Christian men, there is little chance that their Christian women will find an unmarried Christian man to marry therefore we can cross out option 3 for two thirds of their women and you can understand how the statement that I made is valid: Married men who refuse to marry a virgin who the Lord has provided them may end up guilty of causing such a woman to commit fornication.
In fact, I’ve shown that in two out of three cases this will indeed be the outcome. The the hardness of hearts and the bowing down to the golden calf of monogamy by married Christian men is depriving two thirds of the women in the world of a godly husband. There is no gift of singleness. Women want marriage.
Since I originally wrote this article much has changed. The number of Christians outside of the United States has increased dramatically and so has the imbalance between Christian women and Christian men in those countries. Since Christian women outside of the West tend to witness primarily to other women there are twice as many women being witnessed to as men and soon the imbalance will reach epic proportions. Within ten years we could see as many as five Christian women in non-Western countries for every Christian man. What you may be doubting today as some incredible tale will be reality. Furthermore, the Christian women will take matters into their own hands and start marrying the already married Christian men.
“And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.” Isaiah 4:1
09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
And about 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Do you have sources for any of your claims, sesame? Also, do you have comparative studies to the female population as a whole, to see if there's any difference between a christian woman and a normal woman?

If you do, that would be very interesting to see.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
OK GT, THIS STUDY IS FROM A CHRISTIAN PRIEST NOT FROM ME, I'M A MUSLIM Smile
I JUST READ IT ON NET AND PASTE IT HERE TO OTHERS KNOW.
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Do you have a source? Where did you get the numbers?

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
09-25-2009, 09:08 PM
(09-25-2009 10:44 AM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Do you have a source? Where did you get the numbers?

Here is the whole thing. If you google some phrases posted by sesame above, you will discover that this is not the only forum he has posted this on without citation.

The apparent original author provides no references either. Here is that author Pastor Don Milton. Interesting reading but hardly a mainstream Christian.
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2009 09:59 AM by sesame.)
I first would like to prove to you that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the laws of the Old Testament, and did order his followers (the Christians as we call them) to follow the laws of the Old Testament:
Jesus said: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)”
Christians always say as an excuse “Oh this law doesn’t exist in the New Testament, it is only the Old Testament.” Well, according to Matthew 5:17-18 above, we clearly see that Jesus honored the Old Testament, and forces Christians to follow the unmodified laws of it:-
Let us look at some of the verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy:
In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.
In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.
In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.
In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon’s son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.
In Deuteronomy 21:15 “If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons….”
There are a lot more verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy, but I think that the above are sufficient enough to prove my point.
Jesus, who otherwise overlooked polygamy, is irrelevant as an model for marriage customs, since he did not marry during his earthly ministry. According to Father Eugene Hillman, ‘Nowhere in the New Testament is there any explicit commandment that marriage should be monogamous or any explicit commandment forbidding polygamy.’7 The Church in Rome banned polygamy in order to conform to Greco-Roman culture that prescribed only one legal wife while tolerating concubinage and prostitution.[8]
The Roman emperor, Valentinian I, in the fourth century, authorized Christians to take two wives. In the eighth century Charlemagne, holding power over both church and state, in his own person practiced polygamy, having six, or according to some authorities, nine wives.[9] According to Joseph Ginat, the author of Polygamous Families in Contemporary Society, the Catholic Church frowned on the practice, but occasionally sanctioned second marriages for political leaders.[10]
St. Augustine seems to have observed in it no intrinsic immorality or sinfulness, and declared that polygamy was not a crime where it was the legal institution of a country.[11] He wrote in The Good of Marriage (chapter 15, paragraph 17), that polygamy
…was lawful among the ancient fathers: whether it be lawful now also, I would not hastily pronounce. For there is not now necessity of begetting children, as there then was, when, even when wives bear children, it was allowed, in order to get a more numerous posterity, to marry other wives in addition, which now is certainly not lawful.”
He declined to judge the patriarchs, but did not deduce from their practice the ongoing acceptability of polygamy. In another place, he wrote, “Now indeed in our time, and in keeping with Roman custom, it is no longer allowed to take another wife, so as to have more than one wife living.”
During the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther said, “I confess for my part that if a man wishes to marry two or more wives, I cannot forbid him for it does not contradict the Scripture.” He advised Philip of Hesse that he should keep his second marriage a secret to avoid public scandal.[13] One of the greatest poets of the English language and the famous English Puritan, John Milton (1608 – 1674), wrote, ‘I have not said ‘the marriage of one man with one woman’ lest I should by implication charge the holy patriarchs and pillars of our faith, Abraham and others who had more than one wife, at the same time, with habitual sin; and lest I should be forced to exclude from the sanctuary of God as spurious, the whole offspring which sprang from them, yea, the whole of the sons of Israel, for whom the sanctuary itself was made. For it is said in Deuteronomy (xxii. 2,) “A [censored] shall not enter into the congregation of Jehovah even to the tenth generation.”14 On February 14, 1650, the parliament at Nürnberg decreed that because so many men were killed during the Thirty Years’ War, that every man was allowed to marry up to ten women.
Pos Country Male Female Number of Females per Male
1 Latvia 1,055,000 1,252,000 1.19
2 Estonia 611,000 718,000 1.18
3 Ukraine 21,310,000 25,171,000 1.18
4 Armenia 1,406,000 1,610,000 1.15
5 Lesotho 835,000 960,000 1.15
6 Lithuania 1,600,000 1,831,000 1.14
7 Russian Federation 66,447,000 76,754,000 1.16
8 Belarus 4,559,000 5,197,000 1.14
9 Hong Kong 3,313,000 3,728,000 1.13
10 Georgia 2,114,000 2,360,000 1.12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Entheogen-Mormonism Connection Visqueen 205 9,082 11-24-2013 05:39 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  Critical and apologetic views of Mormonism shiverleaf15 106 7,218 10-31-2013 06:59 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)