Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mortification of the flesh
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Mortification of the flesh
It has been at least one year that I mortify my flesh. Hair shirt, whip, kneeling on raw rice, fasting, everything that's painful and harmless for health. I know, I know, it's not frequent nowadays that a girl in her 18 lives as a virgin and on top of it mortifies herself and lives in strict austerity. I lead another thread on staying virgin, http://www.religionforums.org/thread-2111-page-1.html

My motivations for mortifying myself?

First to intercede for sinners before God. And for atonement of my own sins.

Then to fight temptation. Physical pain creates a firewall against pleasures and one remains on the safe side of suffering.

Anyone out there is practicing mortification of their flesh?

I'd like to share points of view and experiences even with those who criticize mortification.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2010, 11:29 PM
RE: Mortification of the flesh
(02-07-2010 10:43 PM)gomezmirella Wrote:  It has been at least one year that I mortify my flesh. Hair shirt, whip, kneeling on raw rice, fasting, everything that's painful and harmless for health. I know, I know, it's not frequent nowadays that a girl in her 18 lives as a virgin and on top of it mortifies herself and lives in strict austerity. I lead another thread on staying virgin, http://www.religionforums.org/thread-2111-page-1.html

My motivations for mortifying myself?

First to intercede for sinners before God. And for atonement of my own sins.

Then to fight temptation. Physical pain creates a firewall against pleasures and one remains on the safe side of suffering.

Anyone out there is practicing mortification of their flesh?

I'd like to share points of view and experiences even with those who criticize mortification.

What happened to the body as a temple of God concept?
02-08-2010, 12:06 AM
(02-07-2010 11:29 PM)biomystic Wrote:  What happened to the body as a temple of God concept?

Hundreds, thousands of saints witness that mortification is the thing to do!
02-08-2010, 12:31 AM
(02-08-2010 12:06 AM)gomezmirella Wrote:  
(02-07-2010 11:29 PM)biomystic Wrote:  What happened to the body as a temple of God concept?

You could look into the examples of all the Prophets in the past. Their whole times spent teaching us about God and how to live for Him was spent while the Prophets themselves were being subjected to much suffering. You could almost imagine the mortification of their flesh by others was invited. I personally do not condone self mortification as a means to avoid the temptations of pleasure. Perhaps it could leave your spiritual will weaker in the end, although I could not be certain. Anyway, look at those Exemplars of Revelation as guides for you to emulate. Smile
02-08-2010, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2010 12:58 AM by gomezmirella.)
(02-08-2010 12:31 AM)mewesley Wrote:  You could look into the examples of all the Prophets in the past. Their whole times spent teaching us about God and how to live for Him was spent while the Prophets themselves were being subjected to much suffering. You could almost imagine the mortification of their flesh by others was invited. I personally do not condone self mortification as a means to avoid the temptations of pleasure. Perhaps it could leave your spiritual will weaker in the end, although I could not be certain. Anyway, look at those Exemplars of Revelation as guides for you to emulate. Smile

My experience is all the contrary. Mortification leaves me fortified to withstand the most torrid temptations.
02-08-2010, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2010 07:45 AM by biomystic.)
(02-08-2010 12:31 AM)mewesley Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 12:06 AM)gomezmirella Wrote:  

You could look into the examples of all the Prophets in the past. Their whole times spent teaching us about God and how to live for Him was spent while the Prophets themselves were being subjected to much suffering. You could almost imagine the mortification of their flesh by others was invited. I personally do not condone self mortification as a means to avoid the temptations of pleasure. Perhaps it could leave your spiritual will weaker in the end, although I could not be certain. Anyway, look at those Exemplars of Revelation as guides for you to emulate. Smile

Speaking as a prophet I will tell you that there's plenty of abuse coming from the many critics each prophet has to face in their lifetimes that to flog oneself on top of this reality would be pointless redundancy. There's nothing sacred or good about abusing one's body in order to stop one from committing acts that stem from personal psychological injuries that need real qualified psychological help in dealing with.
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Wearing a hair shirt or enduring forms of self imposed physical privations does not make one a spiritual person. Spirituality does not hinge on such practices. The apostle Paul spoke against “a severe treatment of the body.” – Colossians 2:23. True spirituality comes from seeking the knowledge of God through a diligent study of his Word and applying that knowledge in our lives.
02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
(02-08-2010 03:36 PM)jwitness Wrote:  Wearing a hair shirt or enduring forms of self imposed physical privations does not make one a spiritual person. Spirituality does not hinge on such practices. The apostle Paul spoke against “a severe treatment of the body.” – Colossians 2:23. True spirituality comes from seeking the knowledge of God through a diligent study of his Word and applying that knowledge in our lives.

Wrong. True spirituality comes from personal spiritual experiences, not from reading second-hand, third-hand, nth-hand spiritual experiences and conclusion of ancient men. Reading a book won't get you in spiritual communion with God. Reading books can help you interpret your spiritual experiences but the words of others not yourself are no substitute for the real deal. Anyway, God's real "Word" is found in the Book of Life, i.e. the whole wide world and all that happens in it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What if you met your god/deity in the flesh? Lucky-lokean 16 1,425 03-30-2014 07:36 AM
Last Post: aka[DoW]
  Should Christianity adopt Islam’s laws of sins of the flesh? Greatest I am 2 526 04-06-2011 05:08 PM
Last Post: Greatest I am

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)