Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Movie:The Passion of the Christ(Part 1)
03-30-2009, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2009 07:00 AM by RonPrice.)
Movie:The Passion of the Christ(Part 1)
There has been so much reaction to my first review, critique, comment on Mel Gibson’s film ‘The Passion of the Christ’ that I felt a need to write a second statement. This statement will deal with some, but not all, of the main threads of response that I received. The responses, the postings at internet sites, of most people were responses not so much to what I wrote but, rather, responses to issues raised by the film itself--not necessarily my article in particular. There were so many responses over so many areas that they made me think, not so much about this film of Gibson's but about wider issues. Some readers may find what follows not sufficiently focused on Gibson and his film. For such readers they may be advised to discontinue reading at this point.

The first concern of many commentators, critics and casual observers alike, was the violence in the film. That seemed to be the most generalized concern, although there were many cryptic responses that gave vent in sometimes creative and often puzzling ways to various conspiracy theories, to a range of anti-Jewish or government sentiments and a host of other passionate and not-so-passionate worries. Many of the respondents' comments focussed on what they felt were Gibson's poor directing, his failure to develop the characters of the actors making Jesus, in the end, not very likeable. of course, other commentators stress just the opposite.

The literature on violence in cinema and society is burgeoning. That was a major concern more than 25 years ago when I taught media studies at what became a university in Ballarat, an old gold mining town, in Australia. So, too, is the concern with real violence in the wider society, the global society we all live in. The violent image has been extraordinarily preeminent in the visual media as is the profound concern about the culture of violence in general. There has been what one analyst called a hyperviolence in post-1960s cinema. I was only 19 when Kennedy was shot in 1963. I have lived in a society filled with real violence and hyperviolence for more than 40 years. Gibson’s film in some ways is just one of 1000s that have a violent base. Of course, in Gibson's film, the person to whom the violence was done has a special, a unique, place in the history of western civilization.
------------PART TWO OF THIS POST IS BELOW---------------
(03-30-2009 06:59 AM)RonPrice Wrote:  There has been so much reaction to my first review, critique, comment on Mel Gibson’s film ‘The Passion of the Christ’ that I felt a need to write a second statement. This statement will deal with some, but not all, of the main threads of response that I received. The responses, the postings at internet sites, of most people were responses not so much to what I wrote but, rather, responses to issues raised by the film itself--not necessarily my article in particular. There were so many responses over so many areas that they made me think, not so much about this film of Gibson's but about wider issues. Some readers may find what follows not sufficiently focused on Gibson and his film. For such readers they may be advised to discontinue reading at this point.

The first concern of many commentators, critics and casual observers alike, was the violence in the film. That seemed to be the most generalized concern, although there were many cryptic responses that gave vent in sometimes creative and often puzzling ways to various conspiracy theories, to a range of anti-Jewish or government sentiments and a host of other passionate and not-so-passionate worries. Many of the respondents' comments focussed on what they felt were Gibson's poor directing, his failure to develop the characters of the actors making Jesus, in the end, not very likeable. of course, other commentators stress just the opposite.

The literature on violence in cinema and society is burgeoning. That was a major concern more than 25 years ago when I taught media studies at what became a university in Ballarat, an old gold mining town, in Australia. So, too, is the concern with real violence in the wider society, the global society we all live in. The violent image has been extraordinarily preeminent in the visual media as is the profound concern about the culture of violence in general. There has been what one analyst called a hyperviolence in post-1960s cinema. I was only 19 when Kennedy was shot in 1963. I have lived in a society filled with real violence and hyperviolence for more than 40 years. Gibson’s film in some ways is just one of 1000s that have a violent base. Of course, in Gibson's film, the person to whom the violence was done has a special, a unique, place in the history of western civilization.
------------PART TWO OF THIS POST IS BELOW---------------

Married for 42 years, a teacher for 35 and a Baha'i for 50Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
RE: Movie:The Passion of the Christ(Part 1)
I recently downloaded "Passion of the Christ" from the web after reading a thread about it on an internet forum, but when I played the movie it turned out to be in a foreign language with equally foreign subtitles. Disappointed, I deleted the whole thing, but consoled myself with the knowledge that I know what happens anyway. They kill him..
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
What is sad is that the violence that was depicted in the film, as horrific as it was, doesn't show the full extent of punishment that Jesus withstood.
03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
(03-30-2009 08:09 PM)Paul.A Wrote:  What is sad is that the violence that was depicted in the film, as horrific as it was, doesn't show the full extent of punishment that Jesus withstood.
-------------------
Yes, Paul, you make an interesting point and one often over looked. thanks.-Ron

03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Actually I loved this film. I thought it was beautifully done, and the acting (especially of Pilate and Judas) was superb.

Of course, I am used to foreign films, having a soft spot in my heart for them, so the subtitles didn't throw me.
03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
(03-30-2009 08:52 PM)GTseng3 Wrote:  Actually I loved this film. I thought it was beautifully done, and the acting (especially of Pilate and Judas) was superb.

Of course, I am used to foreign films, having a soft spot in my heart for them, so the subtitles didn't throw me.
------------
Yes, GTseng3, millions were moved and 1000s to tears; others walked out or never went to see the film revolted by its violence---as in so many things in life, to each their own, eh?-Ron

05-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Its interesting movie, can you plz give me the link of this movie where I can download it. Thanks!!

Sympathy Words
05-12-2009, 06:17 AM
(05-09-2009 12:57 AM)sympathy07 Wrote:  Its interesting movie, can you plz give me the link of this movie where I can download it. Thanks!!
----------------
no idea...sorry

05-12-2009, 08:42 AM
People sat through 20-some odd minutes of shooting, blood and gore during the opening of Saving Private Ryan. Many vets who were there had to leave. Many vets from other wars had to leave.

People sit through four (or five, I can't remember) two+ hour sessions of the movie SAW and its sequels. The Hills Have Eyes ... We Were Soldiers (another Mel Gibson) ... the list is endless.

Violence is violence ... the difference between this film and others is the religious aspect.

A crucifixion was a horrible, violent punishment. If you've never done a study on it, you should. To me, it makes all other punishments child's play in comparison. It was designed for ulitmate pain and suffering and prolonged death.

As for the movie, I think it was a well-shot film. I'm a very amateur photographer, so the lighting was of great interest to me. As for the religious aspect, I only saw it once but noticed some inaccuracies that I accepted as creative license and/or bits of some translation that I'm not familiar with. I knew, going in, that it was not a documentary and that it was a product of the film industry.

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Well made movie. Entertaining.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Movie:The Passion of the Christ(Part 2) RonPrice 2 1,040 06-19-2010 07:23 AM
Last Post: RonPrice

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)