Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Muslim-Agnostic marriage?
03-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Muslim-Agnostic marriage?
I don't really know if Agnostic was the right word, but I do believe in God. I just don't know what religion I am.

My mom is a Christian, and raised me to believe that I could choose my religion. The man I'm in love with is Muslim.

We've been in love for over two years now. We aren't exactly a couple, because neither of us will allow anything to happen before we are married, whether it be with each other or not, due to our beliefs.

I don't have any problems with the Muslim faith, from what I know about it. We've both talked about getting married someday, but it won't happen any time soon, if it does. Because I love him, I've started learning about his faith and beliefs. I know legally in the US we can get married, but what difficulties would there be? Will his family hate me? We've talked a lot, and I've always consented to our possible future children being raised Muslim, because it means so much to him.
When I've learned about Islam, would I be allowed to convert? If I did, would things be easier for us? I know it isn't just about knowledge, it's about belief, and I wouldn't convert if I didn't believe, I just don't know enough about it to know if I believe. Should we marry? I would do anything for him.

Also, where could I go to learn more about the faith? I mean the REAL faith, not the crap that people make out Muslims to be. I know Talal, and he is by far the best person I have ever met.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2010, 06:36 AM
RE: Muslim-Agnostic marriage?
(03-16-2010 05:56 AM)Shontel637 Wrote:  I don't really know if Agnostic was the right word, but I do believe in God. I just don't know what religion I am.

My mom is a Christian, and raised me to believe that I could choose my religion. The man I'm in love with is Muslim.

We've been in love for over two years now. We aren't exactly a couple, because neither of us will allow anything to happen before we are married, whether it be with each other or not, due to our beliefs.

I don't have any problems with the Muslim faith, from what I know about it. We've both talked about getting married someday, but it won't happen any time soon, if it does. Because I love him, I've started learning about his faith and beliefs. I know legally in the US we can get married, but what difficulties would there be? Will his family hate me? We've talked a lot, and I've always consented to our possible future children being raised Muslim, because it means so much to him.
When I've learned about Islam, would I be allowed to convert? If I did, would things be easier for us? I know it isn't just about knowledge, it's about belief, and I wouldn't convert if I didn't believe, I just don't know enough about it to know if I believe. Should we marry? I would do anything for him.

Also, where could I go to learn more about the faith? I mean the REAL faith, not the crap that people make out Muslims to be. I know Talal, and he is by far the best person I have ever met.

Love is blind but that's love for ya. I will predict you will not be allowed to be an agnostic if you marry this Muslim fellow. You will be pressured by him, and him by his family to convert you to Islam because Islam is a territorially jealous religion that really doesn't tolerate mixed marriages. Your man has been taught by Islamic culture that he has to be the dominate party in your relationship. Expect rejection if you refuse to convert which to me would be a test of your own willpower to hold your own opinions and your own relationship with God should you find such. But that's just me and my own prejudices about Islam. Muslims are good people overall but are highly prone to not thinking or reasoning clearly beyond the 7th century Arabic social levels set for them by Muhammad.
03-17-2010, 05:04 AM
Shontel637~
From the information I have read, to be married you are to convert to Muslim. He on the other hand, obviously does not have to convert. I wish I could remember the book that I read about Islam culture so that I could help you more. Look at the library they actually have a lot of informative books on the culture that DO NOT point out only bad points.

Oh and by the way I totaly respect your ability to wait to be physically intimate, however that does not keep you from being an item. (only physically)

It's not about you or me. It's about GOD.
03-17-2010, 05:07 AM
godlover
Your signature intrigues me

It's not about you or me. It's about GOD

Why?

????????????????
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2010 12:33 PM by karma_sleeper.)
It sounds like you need to do your own research into what Muslims believe and what steps outsiders take when converting to Islam in order for you to decide whether or not it is something you believe and would be happy with.

It's also important to remember that when you marry someone, you become part of their family. It sounds like you don't know a lot about his family or their attitudes towards non-Muslims and mixed marriages. Depending on where they're originally from, they may or may not condone their son marrying a non-Muslim in a secular ceremony. Was your boyfriend born in the U.S.? If not, where did he and his family come from? That might give you some clues as to their attitudes if you aren't ready to talk to them yet. Since you'll have to convert in order to be considered married in Islam, which sounds important to him, you may as well just talk to his family about it.

If truth is one, it is not possible for something to be scientifically false and religiously true.

-Baha'u'llah
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2010 01:06 PM by Stereophonic.)
Just don't forget that the Qu'ran advocates wife-beating when the husband fears "highhandedness" from his wife.

Here is another link for Islamic scholarly resources.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ --- http://www.ntwrightpage.com/
05-24-2010, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2010 02:41 AM by muslim girl.)
First you should convert to Christian or Muslim to marry him
You should know his family you will be part of them
Not all Muslims are kind, but it seems that you know
I do not know him Smile , but if he is like my dad he will be kind, you should trust him after marriage because Muslim men are polite mostly.
He will not offended you
I remember about bearing
Look let say there is a problem
All wife and husband make problems that what mom says Big Grin
But mom and dad do not offend each other or yelled, but they can make you headache they argue so much.
When this happen Islam have some advices or orders trying to solve it
First
I will start if he does something you do not like some thing wrong and you want the divorce
The only thing you can do is telling him
If that does not work tell his friends or his parents or your parents
Then go to judge in most cases the judge try to solve the problem
Then divorce
He has the same first step telling you
But then he has the right to stop speaking to you for three days
If that does not work hit you
At last is the same tell someone to tell you
Then divorce
It is clear he will give you more other two chances before divorce
But when your chances end he can divorce immediately
But you should by court
At the end you will get the same
About the hit it have explained before it is just kind to tell the other that there is something wrong you should change.
05-24-2010, 04:49 AM
I agree with Biomystic on this one. There will be no room for you to have any other belief system other than Islam. He has obviously asked you to study his faith in preparation to convert to Islam. But he will not budge on the issue to study your beliefs. If your prepared to study Islam he will only show what he wants. You need to look at all sources. I highly recommend third party historians on pre Islam and post Islam. Personaly I recommend a book by Dr Rafat Amari called Islam in the light of history. This book will show you what Mohammad really was and who Allah is.

I also strongly suggest you read the Bible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jesus said the word "Muslim" in Luke 6:40, and told others to be a Muslim Isa 72 18,455 03-06-2017 11:39 PM
Last Post: Gomerozdubar
  Agnostic triple whammy Dworkin 38 2,466 06-24-2016 01:47 PM
Last Post: Dworkin
  Guidance/opinions on Agnostic marrying baptist Chamelion 11 1,994 12-16-2014 10:18 AM
Last Post: QuestionMark
  atheist vs agnostic Scientist 21 1,553 03-24-2014 11:30 AM
Last Post: QuestionMark
  The Agnostic Church of God The Fladaboscan 7 1,302 07-18-2011 03:58 AM
Last Post: georgeTmaxwell

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)