Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Muslims and Great Art
02-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Muslims and Great Art
Do muslims have a capacity for and therefore an appreciation of Great Art?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 05:20 AM by PassionForTruth.)
RE: Muslims and Great Art
I'm sure people from all different sorts of religions (or lack thereof) and all different corners of the world, do.

PFT

"But it's not how difficult it is - it's about how entertaining it is." - Paul Hartnoll - Orbital

"That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet." - Emily Dickinson
02-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Of course they do. Have you seen islamic caligraphy, Minus? Some of it is incredible. A quick google shows this simple one, which is pretty neat:

[Image: art5.jpg]

I went to the British Library a couple of years ago when they had an exhibition on sacred texts. Some of the old Qur'ans were amazing to look at.
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2010 01:48 AM by minus459.)
Yes Zag I have and I find a lot of Islamic art beautiful..........but I've also seen the remains of the Bamyan Buddhas, 50mtr high statues carved into a mountainside before Muhammad was born. Destroyed by muslims.
02-15-2010, 08:45 AM
(02-15-2010 01:38 AM)minus459 Wrote:  Yes Zag I have and I find a lot of Islamic art beautiful..........but I've also seen the remains of the Bamyan Buddhas, 50mtr high statues carved into a mountainside before Muhammad was born. Destroyed by muslims.

If it's Muslim art, it gets a pass. If it's non-Muslim art, it is viewed as a potential threat to Islam and subject to the same mindset that burns books and libraries.
02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
(02-15-2010 01:38 AM)minus459 Wrote:  Yes Zag I have and I find a lot of Islamic art beautiful..........but I've also seen the remains of the Bamyan Buddhas, 50mtr high statues carved into a mountainside before Muhammad was born. Destroyed by muslims.

To be fair, your opening post could have been clearer if that's the line you wanted to go down. The destruction of art, especially in the case you give, is a tragedy, but that is not to say that all Muslims are fanatics who want all things they consider idols to be destroyed. I don't think that's what you're tryig to say either, so why ask that question in that way?
04-07-2010, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2010 02:10 AM by muslim girl.)
see this
http://www.islamiyon.com/vb/showthread.p...post108206
and this
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thespringofc...NxM8xbLbrc
there is some of our art
08-09-2011, 03:35 AM
No doubt! They have! They are really good in islamic calligraphy and also in art work too. They have shown their art in various ways like work on the cloths and designs etc.
08-10-2011, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 12:16 AM by Visqueen.)
[Image: Alhambra_Patio_de_los_leones_1.jpg]

I'm sure many people here are aware of the breathtaking work done on the Alhambra, but I couldn't resist putting up one sample. I hope I can see it one day myself.
08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey everybody, my culture's art (and by association my spiritual penis) is bigger than your culture's art

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)