Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Theory of The Bible
07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
My Theory of The Bible
I was looking at some poll results that estimated 75% of Americans define themselves as Christian. Now, I have read the Bible (well, most of it), and did not find it at all convincing...so I couldn't come up with any reason for so many people to take it as the truth.

However, after reading responses from countless Christians on many forums, I have come to the following conclusion:

The Bible is vague and contradictory enough to validate *any* belief system.

I have *never* met any Christian that follows every stricture in the Bible. They merely choose those passages that back up their own world view. This is a system that would appeal to Americans, especially now. Compared to many other nations, our citizens are incredibly independent. We tend to focus on individual achievements as opposed to group achievements. Cherry picking specific verses from the Bible that conform to one's views satiates the individual desire to be *right*, yet still allows them to feel like part of something bigger than themselves.

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
RE: My Theory of The Bible
Quote:The Bible is vague and contradictory enough to validate *any* belief system.

Are you kidding me!??

Are you telling what people have belived for more than a 1000 years is "vague and contradictory"? There is no verse in the Bible that contradicts each other. If you can please show me one I would be delighted to know.
Also, The Bible isn't designed so a Christian can follow every commandment in there. One of the purposes I belive that the Bible is here, is to give encouragement in times of need.

Also this might be off topic but If you read the book of Isaiah there are specfic scriptures in there, that are prophecies of todays time and not only Isaiah also Mathew. The Bible wouldnt be so "vague and contradictory" if you could interpret it the right way which is why the local pastor is a huge help.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness~ Albert Einstein

Live like everyday is your last~ Anonymous
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Bobin Wrote:
Quote:The Bible is vague and contradictory enough to validate *any* belief system.

Are you kidding me!??

Um, no. Not kidding.

Bobin Wrote:Are you telling what people have belived for more than a 1000 years is "vague and contradictory"? There is no verse in the Bible that contradicts each other. If you can please show me one I would be delighted to know.

No, I'm saying the book that people have based those beliefs on is vague and contradictory. As requested, here is one contradiction...a quick google search will easily turn up hundreds more:

Exodus 20:5 "For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation." (Repeated in Deuteronomy 5:9)
vs.
Ezekiel 18:20 "The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father." & Deuteronomy 24:16 "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."

Bobin Wrote:Also, The Bible isn't designed so a Christian can follow every commandment in there. One of the purposes I belive that the Bible is here, is to give encouragement in times of need.

Really? So, an omniscient, omnipotent god made humans, then gave them a bunch of rules to follow - knowing when he gave those rules that we would be unable to follow them? What foresight...

Bobin Wrote:Also this might be off topic but If you read the book of Isaiah there are specfic scriptures in there, that are prophecies of todays time and not only Isaiah also Mathew.

Right. People have said the same thing about Nostradamus's "prophecies." The problem with a good prophecy is that it, by nature, must be vague enough to be applicable to many situations.

Bobin Wrote:The Bible wouldnt be so "vague and contradictory" if you could interpret it the right way which is why the local pastor is a huge help.

You're kinda proving my point here. If it's not vague, why does it need an interpreter? What if your pastor isn't interpreting it the "right" way? What if a pastor across town interprets a verse differently? They're both pastors...who would be right?

If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
07-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Bobin Wrote:

Are you kidding me!??

Are you telling what people have belived for more than a 1000 years is "vague and contradictory"? The Bible wouldnt be so "vague and contradictory" if you could interpret it the right way which is why the local pastor is a huge help.

People are the most fallible creatures on this planet. So yes, I totally believe that what they have invested their beliefs in in the past 1,000 years is absolutely capable of being "vague and contradictory." Length of time in terms of believing something doesn't make it any truer.

And there goes that phrase again! "The right way." I don't know, in my opinion, there is no such thing. To say that there is a right way is saying that there is only one way, yet every single person (and there are a LOT of people) has a unique world view. "Contradictory" much?

Don't expect me to cry for all the reasons you had to die.
Don't ever ask your love of me.
Don't expect me to cry.
Don't expect me to lie.
Don't expect me to die for thee.
--"Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam"
07-29-2008, 10:32 PM
The bible can be vague and contradictory at times, which is why there are so many different interpretations.

I can kind of see why it would be made that way though. In order for something to be relevant over a long period of time and to a wide amount of people, it can't be too specific. For example, the US constitution has been around for over 200 years and is still around because it's just vague enough to work. It lays out the basic ideas only. The rest is left to interpretation for the specifics.

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2008, 07:34 AM
the bible only contradicts itself if the wrong interpretation is given.

for example ....the bible says that the God of the bible IS LOVE but some people say that this same God will put people in a firey hellfire FOREVER .
now that is a contradiction is it not ?

well i am very glad to say that the hellfire doctrine is not a true bible teaching ,understanding just what the bible REALLY teaches gets rid of any so called contradictions and irons them completely away.

And then we can see how the bible harmonizes throughout, from Genesis to the last book revelation.
10-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Here is one of the many sites that list contradictions in the Bible:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/j...tions.html

There are sites that do this for other sacred scriptures (such as the Book of Mormon and the Koran) as well.

A contradiction in a sacred scripture seems like a very serious flaw.
10-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Messenger Wrote:A contradiction in a sacred scripture seems like a very serious flaw.

I completely agree! Can't God make up his mind whn he says a tooth for a tooth etc and then his apparent son tells people to turn the other cheek??? CONFUSION!!!!! Sad
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
At the beginning of this thread, Damian mentioned that 75% of people describe themselves as Christians.

There's an even more interesting statistic. According to a friend who is an anthropologist, they have never found a human society that didn't have some form of religion. Not even one! Makes you think religion is a fairly fundamental human urge.
10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
wow, thats really something!!!

I think that it explains a lot though, we all need an explanation. There are a few lucky people who can just accept what is there and they don't need more than that but the rest of us need a reason, a point and a how.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)