Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
My head is buzzing with questions...
11-07-2009, 11:28 PM
RE: My head is buzzing with questions...
Why would I say Darwin? Darwin's theories only account for the variation of life. No, what you're talking about is cosmogony, the origin of the universe (as opposed to abiogenesis, which is the origin of life, and evolution which is the method of life's variety. These three are completely separate disciplines requiring completely separate fields of scientific knowledge. Asking why Darwin doesn't explain the beginning of the universe is like asking why Newton doesn't explain British Literature.)

Now my theory isn't personal. My theory is the widely held scientific view, based on the evidence. The microwave background information shows that the big bang occurred. Recent NASA probes observing the microwave background radiation returned results that were precisely as expected, meaning that the big bang theory is very solid and the only theory of cosmogony that I know of with such a large amount of supporting evidence. The big bang, in essence, was the rapid expansion of spacetime from an infinite point to the current universe. That much is supportable through evidence. While no theory of cosmogony is as proven as, say, the theory of evolution, the evidence points in that direction.

Now, speaking of the beginning of the big bang, we are left with speculation. Our knowledge of science is not yet advanced enough to find any evidence of that time. Thus any hypothesis is highly speculative (this is why I acknowledge that god may still be a possibility, even though I do not find it a very likely possibility.) I have hopes that in the future, as we learn more about quantum theory, this will change. In the meantime my favorite hypothesis is the Hawking-Hartle "no-boundaries" universe. This is a very complicated hypothesis using science that is way over my head (you can find Hawking's full lecture on the subject, given in 2007, on YouTube,) but suffice to say that the big bang was an expansion of not only space, but time and every other dimension as well. Thus, before the big bang there was no time. Thus, in a sense the universe has existed forever, since it has existed since the beginning of time and prior to time (and the big bang) there was only infinity. Thus the universe does not require a creator, nor a "First Cause" argument, since the universe has always existed.

Hawking explained it thusly: To ask "what came before" the big bang is like asking what is south of the south pole. Nothing is south of the south pole. All directions at the south pole are north, to ask what is south makes no sense. In a similar fashion, all time came after the big bang, to ask what came before the big bang makes no sense.

Then he started explaining that theory and he lost me, but I liked the idea.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2009, 09:04 AM
muslim girl....em!!! what? dont understand what you wrote?
11-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I think English isn't Muslim Girl's first language, so to be fair, she's made a good attempt and it is understandable:

'Allah is really there, but you must believe that science and all of (the?) Holy books match together.'
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Of course the problem is that science and the holy books do not match together, and often contradict each other. We live in a marvelous country where anyone is allowed to believe whatever they want, but the right to freedom of thought and speech is not the right to be taken seriously or given any credence.

I've got no problem with people who claim the Bible or the Quran is supported by science, as long as they don't expect their delusions to be legislated, taught in schools, or forced on others.

I'm back baby! Thanks for everyone who sent me PMs asking what had happened to me.
11-08-2009, 04:11 PM
i thought she wrote something like that . anyway i dont think there is a great gap between certain religions and science , remember we have only been allocated a certain amount of infomation . far as i know the second coming of christ has the or that information about why we are , how we got...here!!! ( the missing link so to speak ) . still beleive that the first person built a living , breathing computer and that computer has a certain amount of control over the gods , over all of us and that computer is out side the universe like the man himself ( multiple universes away ) . remember the universe is not infanant , more like a bubble , who or what is out side the big black sky ? .
11-18-2009, 04:42 PM
sorry i ment........outside the bubble we live in.
11-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I like beyondtheveil's description very much - that we are made of of elements that exist in the Universe for as long as the universe lasts. These elements are neither created nor destroyed, simply converted from one form to another.

In a sense we never die.

And I really appreciate the notion that the Universe is in and of itself a concious entity. Well said!

As a Christian, I am far less concerned with "earning" my way into eternal reward than I am with trying to live in the Kingdom as best I can right here, right now.

I figure I'll find out what happens on the other side when I get there.

11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
what happens if your spirit is re-born onto earth as another person or animal , fish , insect . of course this would be determened in how you lead your life , and you dont get heaven......only the committed get a percentage of heaven , wheather that is in hell or heaven .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)