Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My standpoint on spirituality
06-30-2016, 09:31 AM
RE: My standpoint on spirituality
Spirituality, to me, is the following of any practice which seeks to expand one's comprehension of their consciousness. Terms such as atheist or theist are irrelevant IMHO.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Spirituality is inseparable, to me, from being alive. It is the means by which I live.
Then again, I do not act it out, like those not knowing what it is to begin with.
Without spirituality, what passes for living is a monochromatic shadow of actual life.
08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
(08-18-2016 12:34 PM)crow Wrote:  Spirituality is inseparable, to me, from being alive. It is the means by which I live.
The lungs, liver, kidneys, heart, brain, etc., are physical organs last time I checked. Are you confusing the planes?

Quote:Then again, I do not act it out, like those not knowing what it is to begin with.
So what is your ideal in life? How do you strive to meet that ideal? Does your "let them eat cake" attitude mesh with that?

Quote:Without spirituality, what passes for living is a monochromatic shadow of actual life.
In 17 or more words, explain what you mean by "actual life."

12-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Here's my current definition.

Spirituality - anything which leads to an increase of understanding into the nature of one's being. This includes "being" as a noun and as a verb; also "not-being."

12-16-2016, 05:56 PM
I really like that definition. It fits my intuition on the thing perfectly.

~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
12-19-2016, 08:46 AM
(12-16-2016 05:56 PM)PeterPants Wrote:  I really like that definition. It fits my intuition on the thing perfectly.
Thanks. I wanted to create a definition that could extend to the depths that I aspire to convey, while also being universal, non-sectarian. Spirituality should be and is independent of religion but completely compatible with any belief, so long as such a belief seeks to elevate and not to knock down. Nobody can say that spirituality as I have defined it here is a bad thing to do. Nobody can say that. It represents the sum of all effort to overcome ignorance and topple restriction. Somewhere between finger pointing and government we need to seek the path to the center of our lives and strive for the ennoblement of all proportions of mankind. It is heartening to see that this path is being trodden by some.

12-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Absolutely, its wonderfully spun. nothing wrings up my guts like people claiming spirituality for themselves.

~~

when we enter a discussion on matters of discordance, we should search for truth not victory, In this manner we always win, there are no losers.
01-16-2017, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 12:06 AM by osgart.)
music is often the language of the spirit if done right it speaks to the heart. Heart is that part of consciousness people forget or dont speak of. Heart is your loves hates cares and ambivalences. Society explores the mind and neglects the heart and will. All three are consciousness. You may think the brain produces heart but that is absurd to me. The soul is deeply felt and the language of it. Peace and joy are spirit feelings ; you can feel it when you arrive at its accomplishment. Its an energy that flows through you. Its life itself . I know it by experience. Its far and above distinct and other worldly.
music is often the language of the spirit if done right it speaks to the heart. Heart is that part of consciousness people forget or dont speak of. Heart is your loves hates cares and ambivalences. Society explores the mind and neglects the heart and will. All three are consciousness. You may think the brain produces heart but that is absurd to me. The soul is deeply felt and the language of it. Peace and joy are spirit feelings ; you can feel it when you arrive at its accomplishment. Its an energy that flows through you. Its life itself . I know it by experience. Its far and above distinct and other worldly.
01-16-2017, 12:23 AM
"Society explores the mind and neglects the heart and will."

what? what society does that??

and i absolutely think the brain produces 'heart' as you put it, all of the things youve mentioned are quite well understood, musical preferences, who we love etc, this can all be changed by doing things to the brain, strokes often change these things, it seems absurd to add the extra complication of some unseen, immeasurable thing and call it a 'spirit'.

"Its far and above distinct and other worldly."

i feel it too, i think we all do, i completely dissagree that its other worldly though, nothing in reality suggests that, you are simply asserting it baselessly.

~~

01-23-2017, 10:36 AM
(06-23-2015 01:42 AM)ArcFighter300 Wrote:  Hi, all. New guy, here. I will explain my standpoint regarding religion.

I consider myself an agnostic atheist. This doesn't mean, in the sense that I use it, that I don't think we'll ever know for certain, but I'm predisposed to atheism. This means to me that I use atheism as a default view which can and will only be swayed or changed by the presentation of empirical, non-circumstantial evidence in support of the ideas presented by any one or more religion(s). Thus, I have kept an open-minded atheist view for pretty much all of my life because no one has ever given me a real, actual fossil with a human footprint right next to a dinosaur-like footprint and nobody has said to me "I found that this really famous scientist guy found the Ark of the Covenant!" (I know it sounds like I'm getting on Christianity, but, living in the Deep South, there really isn't much else to pick on). So, I'm just waiting for the evidence, and if it satisfies my standard, huzzah. I'll perform your rites and worship your deity and go by your ways. If not, it's not worthy of my time.

Thank you for listening (reading. big deal.). Smile

This is very intelligently put. I understand your dilemna in not being able to adhere to christianity because of compulsions of logic.

There are three great sayings of Jesus I adore and like a lot....

'Let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.'

'There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.'

'And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.'

I would say that the above three teachings of Christ epitomises Christianity or in these three the whole of the bible is condensed.

Just love without fear of punishment and follow the intuitions that love creates within the heart, and even an atheist or agnostic or secularist will be more Christian than those who just cling to the words and preach them without manifesting it in their person and practices duality. A sincere lover would be spiritual even if he or she may have no faith in God or Jesus on account of his reasoning, imho.

And I would say that perhaps this is all the spiritual exercise that may be needed as well for all.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)