Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Namaskar :)
07-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Namaskar :)
Namaskar Everyone,

I just joined the forum and thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself Smile. It looks like a great forum and I can't wait to have some wonderful discussions Smile

Cool

Bhaktin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2010, 04:00 PM
RE: Namaskar :)
Welcome aboard. I assume by you posting in this section that you are a Hindu? That'd be a welcome addition here! Smile
08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
(08-01-2010 04:00 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  Welcome aboard. I assume by you posting in this section that you are a Hindu? That'd be a welcome addition here! Smile

Thanks so much for the warm welcome Big Grin. I am Hindu, are there not many here? Smile
08-02-2010, 01:40 AM
There are two sporadic Hindus, only one of whom posted much, so it'll be good to have another. There's an intros thread in general, say "Hi" there and people will notice it.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular deity you focus on? Would you mind telling us a bit about your beliefs? I find Hinduism fascinating, so it's always nice to talk to someone of that faith.
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
(08-02-2010 01:40 AM)Zagreus Wrote:  There are two sporadic Hindus, only one of whom posted much, so it'll be good to have another. There's an intros thread in general, say "Hi" there and people will notice it.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular deity you focus on? Would you mind telling us a bit about your beliefs? I find Hinduism fascinating, so it's always nice to talk to someone of that faith.

Ah I didn't even notice that before, I'll post there Big Grin.

Don't mind at all. I'm devoted to Krishna and we believe that there is one supreme God, Krishna who is the same and different to us. We are eternally connected and we are like him in substance but he is far greater. The goal is to eventually rejoin him and stop incarnating in the material world.

That's really basic stuff, there's so much I could say but I don't know what direction to go. Do you have specific questions?
08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
(08-02-2010 11:36 AM)Krishna_Bhaktin Wrote:  Don't mind at all. I'm devoted to Krishna and we believe that there is one supreme God, Krishna who is the same and different to us. We are eternally connected and we are like him in substance but he is far greater. The goal is to eventually rejoin him and stop incarnating in the material world.

That's really basic stuff, there's so much I could say but I don't know what direction to go. Do you have specific questions?

Not sure on specific questions, but I am interested to talk more if you are? To fill you in on me, whilst I'm an atheist, I was a religious studies teacher for a couple of years, so I'm all good with the basic ideas of Hinduism and with Krishna.

Why Krishna? Is it a family thing, or did you choose him yourself, as a deity who stood out to you? Your language choice says to me you regard Krishna and Brahman as one and the same, am I right there, or are you just all about Krishna and I'm working on standard Hindu ideas?

Do you mind me asking what type of puja you do, or any yoga type? Just devotional, or karma, etc? Please say if I ask too personal, or if I get something wrong.
08-03-2010, 12:15 AM
(08-02-2010 03:59 PM)Zagreus Wrote:  
(08-02-2010 11:36 AM)Krishna_Bhaktin Wrote:  Don't mind at all. I'm devoted to Krishna and we believe that there is one supreme God, Krishna who is the same and different to us. We are eternally connected and we are like him in substance but he is far greater. The goal is to eventually rejoin him and stop incarnating in the material world.

Not sure on specific questions, but I am interested to talk more if you are? To fill you in on me, whilst I'm an atheist, I was a religious studies teacher for a couple of years, so I'm all good with the basic ideas of Hinduism and with Krishna.

Why Krishna? Is it a family thing, or did you choose him yourself, as a deity who stood out to you? Your language choice says to me you regard Krishna and Brahman as one and the same, am I right there, or are you just all about Krishna and I'm working on standard Hindu ideas?

Do you mind me asking what type of puja you do, or any yoga type? Just devotional, or karma, etc? Please say if I ask too personal, or if I get something wrong.

Very cool, I teach religious studies too! What a small world (well I guess not all that small since here on a religion forum Smile ). What's your area of specialization?

The only way I can answer your first question is Krishna chose me. It was, I'm sure, my karma as I've always been attracted to him. The Brahman issue not super cut and dry withing Hinduism. The idea that Brahman is the pinnacle of the Hindu experience and the ultimate reality, only belongs to Advaita Vedanta which is only one sub-sect of Vedanta. In my philosophical branch, Acintya Bhedabheda, Brahman is a power, or expansion of Krishna. The ultimate reality however is a personal deity (paramatma).

As for puja, I do a simple one at home offering ghee lamp, incense, flowers, water, food, and fan. I don't do yajna or anything at home (sanskrit not nearly good enough). As for yoga, I am primarily a bhakti practitioner with kirtan and mantra as the basic practice. I hatha sometimes but to be honest it's more about the psychophysical benefits than the spiritual side (although I guess you can say it's all connected).

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk about this Big Grin If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

Big Grin
08-03-2010, 02:21 PM
(08-03-2010 12:15 AM)Krishna_Bhaktin Wrote:  Very cool, I teach religious studies too!
Okay.

Quote:The only way I can answer your first question is Krishna chose me. It was, I'm sure, my karma as I've always been attracted to him.
At what point did you KNOW that Krishna chose you? How do you introduce that knowledge to your students? (Or, hopefully, you keep it quiet.) What is your most efficient curriculum format for teaching the dogmatism that you obviously teach?
08-03-2010, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2010 02:26 PM by Krishna_Bhaktin.)
(08-03-2010 02:21 PM)IMtM Wrote:  
(08-03-2010 12:15 AM)Krishna_Bhaktin Wrote:  Very cool, I teach religious studies too!
Okay.

Quote:The only way I can answer your first question is Krishna chose me. It was, I'm sure, my karma as I've always been attracted to him.
At what point did you KNOW that Krishna chose you? How do you introduce that knowledge to your students? (Or, hopefully, you keep it quiet.) What is your most efficient curriculum format for teaching the dogmatism that you obviously teach?

Of course I do not discuss that with my students. I teach in a public institution where it would be unethical to make my own religious beliefs public knowledge to my students. I don't teach any dogmatism. Religious Studies is the academic study of religion. My focus is mainly an anthropological approach so I look at how beliefs interact with culture and thus impact behaviors.
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
(08-03-2010 02:25 PM)Krishna_Bhaktin Wrote:  
(08-03-2010 02:21 PM)IMtM Wrote:  
Okay.

Of course I do not discuss that with my students. I teach in a public institution where it would be unethical to make my own religious beliefs public knowledge to my students. I don't teach any dogmatism. Religious Studies is the academic study of religion. My focus is mainly an anthropological approach so I look at how beliefs interact with culture and thus impact behaviors.
Thanks for your kind reply. I'm glad to hear it.

Peace.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)