Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Name of painting?
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 07:02 PM by Yefet.)
Name of painting?
Hey, can anyone tell me the name of this painting from the Pantheon in Rome. Thanks!

(See below, Image to big to be veiwed)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
RE: Name of painting?
[Image: img_6054_zps80c05a4a.jpg]
02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
(08-06-2013 06:44 PM)witn Wrote:  Hey, can anyone tell me the name of this painting from the Pantheon in Rome. Thanks!

(See below, Image to big to be veiwed)
I do not believe the Pantheon contains any art like that. It looks like a Roman wall painting. The interior walls of Roman homes were often decorated like this. Better than staring at bare walls when window glass was very uncommon.

If it is a Roman wall painting it would not have a name but might represent part of the resident family.

And here I sit so patiently waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice
Dylan
02-06-2016, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 05:15 PM by Satyros.)
The painting is indeed from inside the Pantheon, but it is unnamed. This is likely due to a period in Rome's history where iconography was used for multiple cultures; such as the below image, which is used for Orpheus, Apollo, and Jesus.

[Image: catacomb-priscilla.jpg]

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2016, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 06:13 PM by Imprecise Interrupt.)
(02-06-2016 05:13 PM)Satyros Wrote:  The painting is indeed from inside the Pantheon, but it is unnamed. This is likely due to a period in Rome's history where iconography was used for multiple cultures; such as the below image, which is used for Orpheus, Apollo, and Jesus.

[Image: catacomb-priscilla.jpg]
I was not aware of paintings inside the Pantheon that were in that poor condition. Live and learn. Smile

The Good Shepherd painting you provided is from the Catacomb of Priscilla and is practically synonymous with it. As I said I was unaware of that kind of thing surviving in the Pantheon.

Dylan
02-06-2016, 10:16 PM
I must have my eyes checked.

The mother and child image is not a wall painting at all but a panel painting, done on several boards of wood joined together. That was a very common practice at one time. It is often associated with Byzantine art but this painting is not representative of Byzantine style. It is much more in the realistic style of ancient Rome.

Since it is a panel painting it seems likely that it was brought to the Pantheon rather than being painted there. This would explain why it was not painted over as so much of the original Pantheon interior was during the Renaissance.

Dylan
02-06-2016, 10:24 PM
It's not from the Renaissance era, I can tell you that much. It looks to be Roman or even Byzantine, as you mention.

02-07-2016, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 03:41 AM by shiverleaf15.)
"Icon with Virgin and Child, made in Constantinople or Rome, ca. 600 A.D., paint on elm, 100 x 47.5 cm, Basilica di Santa Maria al Martyres-Pantheon, Rome, Italy."

Source: http://antiquitiesexperts.com/rome312.html

So it has no formal name, it's estimated to be made c.600 in either Rome or Constantinople, that makes it certainly Byzantine era.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr
02-07-2016, 07:58 AM
(02-07-2016 03:41 AM)shiverleaf15 Wrote:  "Icon with Virgin and Child, made in Constantinople or Rome, ca. 600 A.D., paint on elm, 100 x 47.5 cm, Basilica di Santa Maria al Martyres-Pantheon, Rome, Italy."

Source: http://antiquitiesexperts.com/rome312.html

So it has no formal name, it's estimated to be made c.600 in either Rome or Constantinople, that makes it certainly Byzantine era.

Very good! Smile

I would guess Rome over Constantinople based on the more realistic portrayal. And the absence of halos.

Dylan
02-07-2016, 08:13 AM
That's actually far less "realistic" than a lot of earlier art. It is this solemn, flat simplicity (as well as the mid-Eastern appearance) that lends indication to the art being Byzantine - a theme which would remain present in much of Medieval Christian art until the Renaissance. There also is a halo; the mothers is most noticeable, and the Childs can be seen in front of the mothers hair. The artistic evolution of halos - our depictions of divine wisdom - are varied throughout human history, ranging from light of the broke to horns, to flat discs on the back of the head and circular golden rings above the head.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help Identify Painting Roman Pearce 1 460 11-26-2015 04:14 PM
Last Post: clarence clutterbuck

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)