Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nature as sacred
01-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Nature as sacred
Since we are a part if nature, made from natural forces and dependent on the rest of out natural environment to survive why is not nature seen as sacred. What else could need our respect or devotion more than our natural world. It seems that the most dangerous mistake that humans can do is to forget that we receive that sustains our lives comes from nature. Their is not a breath we do not take that is not given to us by nature itself. Thus what could be more sacred to humans than nature itself?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2018, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 05:34 PM by Satyros.)
RE: Nature as sacred
Paganism (and various other theologies like Animism) does regard nature as both sacred and divine.

Кровь за Кровь, Во Славу Великим!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2018, 08:31 PM
(01-13-2018 05:04 PM)Wild Fox Wrote:  Since we are a part if nature, made from natural forces and dependent on the rest of out natural environment to survive why is not nature seen as sacred. What else could need our respect or devotion more than our natural world. It seems that the most dangerous mistake that humans can do is to forget that we receive that sustains our lives comes from nature. Their is not a breath we do not take that is not given to us by nature itself. Thus what could be more sacred to humans than nature itself?

I'm a "Friend of the Earth" Smile

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
01-14-2018, 01:18 AM
(01-13-2018 05:04 PM)Wild Fox Wrote:  Since we are a part if nature, made from natural forces and dependent on the rest of out natural environment to survive why is not nature seen as sacred. What else could need our respect or devotion more than our natural world. It seems that the most dangerous mistake that humans can do is to forget that we receive that sustains our lives comes from nature. Their is not a breath we do not take that is not given to us by nature itself. Thus what could be more sacred to humans than nature itself?

There was a time I would take to the notion or philosophy similar to the Gaia philosophy .e.g. the Earth as a living organism (in a sense, I still do).

Now from the theist POV: I care for nature as the creation which I see also as sacred. Whereas God sustains nature... Who is much more.
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Protection and conservation of nature has a lot of prominence in Hinduism.

Chanakya, an Indian administrator and law maker, as far as 2000 years back laid down that those who cut even small branches or sprouts of trees yielding fruit and flowers, or providing shade in parks, places of pilgrimage, hermitages, and cremation or burial grounds should be sternly dealt with.

In ancient India, people offered prayers and performed other rites to expiate themselves from the crime of harming or up-rooting a holy tree.

To plant a pipal, banyan or some other sacred tree at a holy place or on the roadside is regarded by the Hindus as a spiritualy meritorious act.

The Brhat Parasara Smrti (10.379) states in this context: He who plants and nurtures the following trees will never see hell: one each of the holy fig (pipal), margosa (neem) and banyan (bargad), ten tamarind trees and three each of wood apple, the holy bel, myrobalan and five mango trees.

The medicines in the Indian medical system of Ayurveda is largely based on herbs and natural products, and for this reason, many of these medicinal plants were especially grown and cultivated for their medical properties diligently.

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Sacred and Human Development Anastasis 47 3,063 01-21-2015 10:45 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  The Nature of Godly Evidence and What Would it Take for you Not to Believe? Secular Hobbit 143 10,245 10-15-2013 03:23 AM
Last Post: Herminator
  The nature of eternal life. Hitcher 16 2,082 09-29-2013 03:54 PM
Last Post: legend
  Validating Sacred Texts Achrelos 11 1,042 09-01-2013 06:14 PM
Last Post: Azrael17
  Nature, who designed/made it? Creature 33 3,291 12-11-2010 10:14 AM
Last Post: isa_muhammad

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)