Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Neanderthal Resurrection
11-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Neanderthal Resurrection
It is now (barely) possible to resurrect a Neanderthal from fossil DNA. The embryo would have to be brought to term in a host mother. I understand people’s objections to cloning humans but, is a Neanderthal human?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
RE: Neanderthal Resurrection
For me i believe yes. As for the religious fanatics no
12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Messenger Wrote:It is now (barely) possible to resurrect a Neanderthal from fossil DNA. The embryo would have to be brought to term in a host mother. I understand people’s objections to cloning humans but, is a Neanderthal human?

I suppose the test of whether two beings belong to the same species is whether or not they can inter breed. I imagine that there would be a high probability of Neanderthals and modern humans being able to inter breed.
12-19-2008, 03:35 AM
iv,e seen some intelligent cruel people.all in the name of science.what happened to dolly the sheep.all things are done for spiritual meaning.hope they don,t fall for your cruel lies.

Good evil salvation
12-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Messenger Wrote:It is now (barely) possible to resurrect a Neanderthal from fossil DNA. The embryo would have to be brought to term in a host mother. I understand people’s objections to cloning humans but, is a Neanderthal human?

Neanderthals are not human. They are similar, yes, but they are certainly not human. As for resurrecting one, why not? It could help us gain knowledge, and I don't see any problem with it personally.
12-19-2008, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2008 08:41 AM by Anglican.)
Mr_Redneck Wrote:Neanderthals are not human. They are similar, yes, but they are certainly not human. As for resurrecting one, why not? It could help us gain knowledge, and I don't see any problem with it personally.

And who do you suppose is going to carry one to term? I suppose Mrs Dawkins might have no problem with the idea if her hubby thought he could make use of one as a laboratory specimin. On second thoughts, that might be a little too crass even for his kind of scientism.

At best, that would be the same kind of pseudo-science that was used to justify slavery - because after all they weren't really human. At worst it is the same kind of pseudo-science that was used to justify the Nazi death camps. Scientism doesn't lead to moral blindnesss? Pull the other one.
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
What is "scientism"?
12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
There is shaky genetic evidence that Cro-Magnon (us) and Neanderthal may have interbred. Does that change things?
12-19-2008, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2008 12:46 PM by Anglican.)
Messenger Wrote:What is "scientism"?

Whether explicitly spelt out or not, scientism is:

1.) The belief that science is omni-competent to answer all questions.

2.) The belief that science is the sole arbiter of truth.

3.) The belief that if a statement cannot be tested scientifically, then it is meaningless.

The twentieth and late nineteenth centuries saw several attempts to come up with a "scientific" basis for morality. Religion was out, so they needed some alternative basis. The results are well known.

I suppose scientism is something very close to logical positivism. The latter was long ago abandoned even by its leading proponents, because it was realised that they were sawing off the branch they were sitting on. The "new atheists" seem nevertheless to be making a determined attempt to ressurect it.
12-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Wahey, didn't have time to respond earlier, so here we go:

(12-19-2008 08:24 AM)Anglican Wrote:  At best, that would be the same kind of pseudo-science that was used to justify slavery - because after all they weren't really human.

Neanderthals really aren't though. Not to mention we're talking about a single individual here. It's not like they'd clone millions to serve as slaves. Humanity may be twisted, but surely not that twisted.

(12-19-2008 08:24 AM)Anglican Wrote:  At worst it is the same kind of pseudo-science that was used to justify the Nazi death camps. Scientism doesn't lead to moral blindnesss? Pull the other one.

Scientism justified the nazi-death camps? Explain, please.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)