Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Necklace Clasps and Spirituality (Possibly Mysticism/Magic)
05-25-2012, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 03:07 AM by Satyros.)
Necklace Clasps and Spirituality (Possibly Mysticism/Magic)
I've heard several "wives' tales" or lore that the clasp of a necklace will move depending on if your loved one (or crush) is thinking of you. From these tales, if the clasp moves towards your left side, the beloved is thinking fondly of you - basically the clasp (I've found it works with knots as well,) is traveling closer to your heart. If it moves to the right, they're simply thinking and/or talking about you. For both notions, the farther it travels the more they are thinking of you.

Now, most would pass this off as "silly superstition" or pure coincidence. However I'm not so sure. Several times I've had my clasp remain absolutely centered, other times it moves varied distances in a very sporadic pattern. Once I've even had it resting to the far left of my pendant, only later to have my significant other tell me that evening that she had been thinking of me all day.

What are some other thoughts on this (dare I call it) "Phenomena"?
Basically what happens (and this isn't an isolated incident, my friends and loved ones have all experienced the same) is that the chain or cord of a necklace or pendant rotates gradually; on such a small level that it's undetectable. The clasp or knot that binds the chain to one's neck is the "focus" of these supposed "thoughts" of loved ones. If it moves to the left thoughts are loving, to the right thoughts simply are. The pendant of a necklace (whatever it may be) remains at the center of one's chest.

Кровь за Кровь! Hugin & Munin (Twitter & blog)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2012, 03:27 AM
RE: Necklace Clasps and Spirituality (Possibly Mysticism/Magic)
As you may expect, I am pretty sceptical. It probably just depends on how you move and the shape of your neck. You could probably test this by repeatedly moving your neck in certain ways to see which way it moves.
05-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Aye, I could. I'll use today as an example, it's a pretty good one. Today I've been fairly active, played on my Kinect some as well as my job. My neck's moved about every which way I can think, and I'll be damned if the knot of my pendant hasn't moved an inch. It's still right on my spine. Yesterday was quite the sedentary day, and all I did was sit around and watch TV. The knot was about to my right clavicle by the time I noticed it.

It's just an oddity, really. I'm curious about other lore on it.

05-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Is it safe to assume that it hasn't moved an inch, or could it just be back where it started?

lean forwards so that the pendant is hanging free and jerk your neck to the left ten times in a row (I would try this myself but I don't have one) - see if it moves one way or the other. If it moves, repeat and move it to the right, see if it goes the other way.
05-25-2012, 04:16 AM
It could be that, yeah.

And I tried the maneuver. Quite dizzy now, but honestly the knot's not moved from the back of my neck. In all honesty, I would think that it would. It's a slightly heavy pendant on a leather cord, so it should grip and tug... I don't know, I have no explination for it.

05-25-2012, 05:24 AM
I just improvised one with some cord, using a small roll of sticky tape as a pendant. As you can imagine, I looked pretty cool.

I found that it was relatively easy for me to make it go round to the left (clockwise to somebody facing me) but I had to really work to get it to go the other way. I found I could do this by turning my head to an angle before rocking it. I think that the initial slope of the back of my neck has something to do with it. If I started with the knot slightly off-centre to the right it was easy to make it go anti-clockwise.
05-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Curious indeed...

05-25-2012, 07:06 AM
The clasp on my necklace is constantly moving. If it is loved ones thinking of me, I was they would stop. It gets annoying to keep adjusting my necklace.

If everyone was thinking the same thing, then no one would be thinking at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Folk magic/superstition shiverleaf15 5 268 07-07-2013 04:27 PM
Last Post: Azrael17
  Empty Mysticism Painkiller 55 1,301 05-21-2013 01:26 AM
Last Post: jacobjamesyaqub
  Do They(Atheist) believe Magic? Anti-Faithless666 13 812 07-16-2012 09:42 AM
Last Post: Yefet

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)