Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Numbers and a paradox.
05-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Numbers and a paradox.
Hey all, I was thinking again the other day and came to a paradox. Im just wondering what you all think of this interesting paradox?

Assuming that all known things are related, one could say that

If, a relates to b, then it can be written as [ a rt b ]. And with even more refinement we get [ a.b ] as a formula.

When [ a.b ] is applied to numbers we get

-9.-8.-7.-6.-5.-4.-3.-2.-1.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9

I will call this run of numbers a run. [run] or [r]

Can we then take [ r ] to represent this run of numbers as a whole, understanding that there are many combinations. Can we then take the middle point of the sequence above to be the digit 0.

But what does this mean? Because the numbers are inclusive towards a centre point, they should all equal the same.

You say this points out the obvious.

For instance, pick a number it can be any number.

I will pick 8

[ a.b ][ r ]

8: 8 relates to [ r ], trough the many different sums of [ r ]. One might subtract, add, multiply, double or combine methods to achieve the solution of 8.

Can this be related to all numbers? Can you disprove my formula? Does anyone else have a different formula?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2008, 01:42 AM
RE: Numbers and a paradox.
George Wrote:Assuming that all known things are related, one could say that

Can we then take [ r ] to represent this run of numbers as a whole, understanding that there are many combinations. Can we then take the middle point of the sequence above to be the digit 0.

I don't think we can take the middle point of the above sequence, or [r] to be 0. What evidence do we have that the middle point of [r] is 0?

Quote:Can this be related to all numbers? Can you disprove my formula? Does anyone else have a different formula?

I suppose in a numbering system which goes from -infinity to +infinity, then we can assume the middle point of [r] to equal 0.

However infinity is a concept not a real number, and therefore cannot necessarily be related to any other real number.

Add to this the fact that numbers only have meaning if the represent something real. There are only a few instances in our world where negative numbers represent something real, and none of those instances allow for the existence of -infinity. You can't have -infinity dollars. The universe can't be -infinity sq ft. If we remove -infinity from [r] then 0 is definitely not the middle point.

If we consider real concepts like volume, mass, length, etc. we eliminate negative numbers entirely.

If we assume there can be infinite volume, mass, length, etc. (for instance, if the size of the universe is infinite) then the middle point would be infinity/2. Which is still not a real number.

If we consider volume, mass, length, etc. (for instance, if the size of the universe is finite yet unknown) then the middle point would be some-unknown-#/2.. We cannot know what that equals, so we do not know the center point.

So, I ask you, what is the point of this exercise? In all examples we end up not knowing the center point. So, what more do we know that hasn't already been explained by Scientists and Philosophers in a more eloquent way?

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/
05-25-2008, 01:46 AM
RE: Numbers and a paradox.
George Wrote:If, a relates to b, then it can be written as [ a rt b ]. And with even more refinement we get [ a.b ] as a formula.

When [ a.b ] is applied to numbers we get

-9.-8.-7.-6.-5.-4.-3.-2.-1.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9

I will call this run of numbers a run. [run] or [r]

[ a.b ][ r ]

8: 8 relates to [ r ], trough the many different sums of [ r ]. One might subtract, add, multiply, double or combine methods to achieve the solution of 8.

Can this be related to all numbers? Can you disprove my formula? Does anyone else have a different formula?

There is no formula in here to disprove. These aren't formulas, merely notations.

Asynchronicity
Spiritual Counselor
http://gnosticgnight.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Omnipotence Paradox. salah 20 2,565 12-04-2015 07:29 AM
Last Post: Anglican
  The Free Will Paradox HamzahA 115 10,811 03-16-2012 11:55 AM
Last Post: thomasj6299
  A prodigious mind behind the numbers !!! Jesusdpm 1 885 06-19-2008 05:36 PM
Last Post: God Rocks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)