Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Olam = Concealment?
07-08-2013, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 10:08 PM by shiverleaf15.)
Olam = Concealment?
So I hear olam and elem are related, just sound different, but that olam may come from elem as its root, meaning "concealment" or "hiding".

I hear Kabbalah finds this to be an important truth, that olam means "concealment". Hence the Four Worlds idea. God is concealed from us through concealments or olams (olamim?), and I find that fascinating.

I would like to learn more about the Four Worlds idea, and more concerning the potential meanings of "olam" (:

EDIT: Darn I meant to post this in the Kabbalah section, if someone desires to move it there, feel free, thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 12:23 AM
RE: Olam = Concealment?
The words of the Qabalistic Cross:

Ateh (Unto Thee)
Malkuth (The Kingdom)
Ve-Geburah (The Power)
Ve-Gedulah (The Glory)
Le-Olam (Forever)
Amen (God is our Faithful King - Notariqon)

The Four Worlds are not a literal attribution (you probably knew that, forgive me if you did). They represent the process through which the Hypothetical Divine flow from Unknowable unto Manifestation.

07-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Yes, I've heard that the Four Worlds are just degrees of concealment of God from us, and thus atop then is the lack of concealment, or unity with the divine itself. I don't know much more than that, and was wondering if there was more to it too.
07-09-2013, 12:42 AM
I must eschew my interpretation through psychology, lest Yefet get mad at me. Wink

Atziluth is complete Divinity. It is archetypal. Briah flows from the archangels. It represents fine-tuned perception. Yetzirah is angelic and formative. Assiah is the material manifestation of existence.

08-18-2013, 09:33 AM
the place where you will find any connection would be on Ex 3:15. The text reads

"And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation. "

Rashi comments on the word "l'olam" which means "forever" (and cites the talmud) as follows:

This is My name forever: Heb. לְעֹלָם (l'olam) [It is spelled] without a vav, meaning: conceal it )l'aleim) [God’s name] תהַעִלִימֵהוּ [so] that it should not be read as it is written. — [from Pes. 50a] Since the “vav” of (לְעֹלָ ם) is missing, we are to understand it as לְעַלֵּם, to conceal, meaning that the pronunciation of the way God’s name is written (י-ה-ו-ה) is to be concealed. — [from Pes. 50a.]

זה שמי לעלם: חסר וי"ו, לומר העלימהו, שלא יקרא ככתבו:
08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Hm, that's very interesting. I can see that making sense. It seems rather clear that if God said "This is my name concealed" (more or less) it would likely mean his name was to be hidden in pronunciation. Thanks for sharing.

"To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery, even as to rule over them is the only liberty." -Justin Martyr

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)