Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Old testament
12-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Old testament
Christians always say its bad, alot of violence and death, well here is a solution TAKE IT OUT THE DAMN BIBLE!!!! Now since there is a new testament why do we need the old testament?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
RE: Old testament
because it shows you life without Christ.

Good evil salvation
12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
So if i dont have christ in my life ima be a violent person and may end up killing people?
12-24-2008, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2008 09:16 AM by Alison.)
(12-23-2008 04:59 PM)FrostBite Wrote:  Christians always say its bad, alot of violence and death, well here is a solution TAKE IT OUT THE DAMN BIBLE!!!! Now since there is a new testament why do we need the old testament?

Not all ...

The OT, to many Christians, is about our belief in our beginning. We believe it (the bible) to be true, so it's our history.

Personally, I'd hate to see the OT done away with. I find much comfort in the book of Psalms. I always find wisdom in the book of Proverbs. When I can't sleep, I dig out the book of Numbers Big Grin ! (that was a joke ...) There is a lot of beauty in the OT, as well. Song of Solomon, for instance, is a very sensual book. Some of the women were very strong role models, Ruth, for example ... some were not so much. The book of Joshua shows great strength, to me ... and the book of Job makes me realize that even the worst times in my life aren't that bad, comparatively speaking!

Justice -- When you get what you deserve.
Mercy -- When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace -- When you get what you don't deserve.
12-27-2008, 05:04 PM
take the OT out of the bible? the OT is vital to understanding the bible. not only does it show us the beginning of mankind, but the prophecies, encluding the promises to Abraham and David (which is very important). Also learning about the Jewish race which is very important to understanding the sign of the times before christ comes back. i guess sometimes we just have to think before we say something, eh???
12-27-2008, 05:58 PM
(12-27-2008 05:04 PM)moorea944 Wrote:  take the OT out of the bible? the OT is vital to understanding the bible. not only does it show us the supposed beginning of mankind, but the prophecies, encluding the promises to Abraham and David (which is very important).

Just thought I'd fix that. Smile
12-28-2008, 06:42 AM
i dont understand why you wrote "supposed" beginning of mankind. do you believe in something else? just curioius.... do you believe that the bible is true? then why wouldnt you believe in creation... there is no other way the earth could have been created.
12-28-2008, 07:04 AM
(12-28-2008 06:42 AM)moorea944 Wrote:  i dont understand why you wrote "supposed" beginning of mankind. do you believe in something else? just curioius.... do you believe that the bible is true? then why wouldnt you believe in creation... there is no other way the earth could have been created.

I do not believe that the bible is a literal interpretation of how the earth began. I believe that it is a useful book in certain situations - advice on certain things is handy, but I do not personally think it required at this stage of human existence. (I could be wrong there, but meh)

As for other ways the Earth could be created, I think this sums it up quite nicely Smile
12-29-2008, 12:27 PM
(12-28-2008 07:04 AM)Mr_Redneck Wrote:  As for other ways the Earth could be created, I think this sums it up quite nicely Smile

I agree that the big bang probably did happen. But that still doesn't explain everything. The big bang goes as far back as when all matter was focused into a single point. What happened before then? Where did the matter come from?

His and Your Humble Servant
RF's Sponsors
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-29-2008, 11:52 PM
(12-29-2008 12:27 PM)God Rocks Wrote:  
(12-28-2008 07:04 AM)Mr_Redneck Wrote:  As for other ways the Earth could be created, I think this sums it up quite nicely Smile

I agree that the big bang probably did happen. But that still doesn't explain everything. The big bang goes as far back as when all matter was focused into a single point. What happened before then? Where did the matter come from?

And that's the thing - I don't know. But I'd rather believe that it was something humanity doesn't understand as opposed to some sort of entity. It somehow seems more likely to me that there is a scientific explanation for the Universe as opposed to a spiritual one.

"Humanity invented religion initially to overcome the permanent loss of consciousness that occurs at death and it was then taken over by groups who use it to control other groups" - Innuendo, from Def-Logic forums.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why does the Old Testament end with a book concerning love whirlingmerc 1 79 06-25-2017 12:12 PM
Last Post: Imprecise Interrupt
  Where is the son of God in the Old Testament? chucknance 274 15,540 03-16-2017 05:54 PM
Last Post: Sue D.
  A Theological contradiction in the New Testament. Azrael17 100 14,066 08-28-2016 06:55 PM
Last Post: Avun Jahei
  the other half of the old testament... Adi Baba 85 5,156 02-12-2014 04:46 PM
Last Post: shiverleaf15
  New Testament sunking 2 1,595 08-26-2009 08:02 AM
Last Post: Raphael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)